new rescue in very rusty cage

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Great report. I'm so happy for your whole family. Thanks for giving this girl a chance. We still love pictures.

birdybabies

Aug 4, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
Yay, Kiwi has found her forever home. Congrats to you all and thank you for choosing a re-home over a baby. When I read your last post, I could hear your excitement, relief and HAPPINESS. This bird is meant to be with your family and be part of your family. Enjoy!

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
We are so excited! Kiwi however as decided that she once again does not want to come out of her cage! I am patiently waiting however it was so nice to be able to interact with her last night. I think she decided overnight that her new home was pretty nice and she doesn't want to leave this one either!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
hey brianlinkles, how about an update.

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Hi Henpecked!
Well, Kiwi still doesn't want to come out of her cage. When I went to her vet he made the suggestion that three times a day I feed her out of my hand. He didn't want her to have all of her food given in the cage. (I'm sure many will say that this is a bad idea, however I am doing it so far) She gets food from my hand three times a day, and throughout the day she is given pellets from our hand. Pretty much everytime we are around the cage she gets offered pellets. At first she would through them on the floor however starting yesterday she will hold them in her hand and eat them! (I'm very excited as she has only eaten seed for years) We offer her healthy human food and pellets. She really wants nothing to do with fruits and veggies which is frustrating. I sit with her for a long time everyday and feed her until she doesn't want anymore. I did try again several times to pick her up however the furthest I have gotten is one foot on my hand and then she freaked out and fell off of her perch. I wish I could get her out of her cage. The vet said not to chase her around the cage so the minute she starts avoiding me I take my hand out. I am so anxious to be able to pick her up and interact with her however I realize this is on her time and not mine. She LOVES popcorn! We have a "healthy" type of popcorn that we buy and she can almost be bribed to step across my hand or touch my hand for a piece of this. On the bright side she LOVES my daughters!!! When they walk in the house she becomes so animated! She talks to them all the time! It is amazing! It is also funny, because when they are at school I find myself sitting by her cage trying to sound like them to get her to talk (sad, I know!!LOL) She will make noises back to me (not nearly as much as them) but she will never talk back to me! I am very happy that she loves my daughters (maybe a tad jealous)
She does not play with any of her toys, she was playing a little with one in her old cage (we bought it for her, she didn't have any toys when we got her) We moved that toy into the new cage but she really doesn't do anything with it. When we got her new cage the man that owns the store suggested not making it too easy for her to get around with too many perches. He suggested putting in the long moldable rope perch to help her get up and down. Since she is overweight he thought she should work a little bit to get around. However she mainly just sits on her perch in the middle of the cage. She will travel around the cage at night when we cover her other than that she doesn't do too much. I am dying to get her out and on a perch so that she can do other things. I have found a standing perch with lots of ladders and places for toys, I would like to get it tomorrow however I feel like it will just sit here "mocking" me since can't get her out of the cage! My daughter just got back from practice and is sitting with her, you should hear how happy Kiwi is! She is asking her what she is doing, telling her she loves her. I could cry, she sounds so adorable. Hopefully someday she will talk to me!! LOL I am hoping to get her out of her cage someday soon, wish us luck!

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
She will come around ,before you know it you'll have to bribe her to go back to her cage.Just keep taking it slow,and when she does step up ,put her right back and tell her what a good girl she is.Good luck and let me know if you need anything,capt and Jake the YN

OP
brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
She will come around ,before you know it you'll have to bribe her to go back to her cage.Just keep taking it slow,and when she does step up ,put her right back and tell her what a good girl she is.Good luck and let me know if you need anything,capt and Jake the YN

I never thought of that,thank you Henpecked! I think if she steps up an then I take her away from her cage that will shock her more. Good idea, once she steps up I will make sure she knows that I will not take her away! I am hoping this will be the weekend that she will step up!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I didn't read all the replies to this post.

Before I got my baby, I posted in another online community about their opinions, and I felt VERY judged. Some people told me NOT to get one at all!

It sounds like you'll do fine, and it's very sweet of you to buy the parrot a new cage even if you don't keep it.

I'm soooo glad to be on this forum with other animal loves who feel the same way I do!

babyboomer1001

Jul 17, 2017
Sunny Arizona
Parrots
Numerous.
A rescue org. should be paying any medical bills you have. It could be metal poison.
Rescued DO NOT and should not have to pay the medical bills of any bird brought to them. They will pay for medical bills ONLY that the bird incurs while in its care. They do not fork out money to people who have birds that have incurred medical expenses.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
<never mind>

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts