Help

sashamaye

Aug 21, 2011
:green2:Hi I have a 10 week old red lorded amazon I know nothing about the noises they make what they eat or what to do would appreciate any help you can give please

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Is a 10 week old bird even weaned? Where did you get her? Can your breeder teach you what to feed your bird? An adult will eat fruit, veggies, parrot pellets (you might soften them up w/juice). A baby is either fed by its parents or fed hand feeding formula. No advocados, no caffiene, no chocolate.

OP
S

sashamaye

Aug 21, 2011
he has literally just been weaned he was hand reared i believe

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey sasha, yes they make a begging noise when feeding or hungry.I'm feed 3 ,8-9 wk old amazons now,10 wks sounds a little early for most to wean but not unheard of.12 wks is more normal.What questions do you have?Your breeder should be a good source.At ten weeks they should be eating lots of solid food and feeding them selves,is your bird drinking water ?Let me know if you have more questions.

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
Agree .. I dont think 10weeks is enough for it to fully wean. Make sure you check with the breeder again.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What did the breeder wean him onto? Have you seen him eat or drink anything? I disagree with breeders who let babies go to new homes when they're barely weaned cause sometimes they can have complications where the babies expect to be handfed again and give up eating on their own. When I used to raise them, I wait until they're at least a month after weaning before letting them go.

akiathomsan

Banned
Banned
Aug 17, 2011
they can eat fruits, seeds, nuts, berries, blossoms and leaf buds, as well as enjoying some palm fruits.

Dragonwyke

Aug 12, 2011
Oneco, Florida
Parrots
Bugg - 8yr old female Senegal
Sylvio - 10yr old male U2
Lolita - 15yr old female Alex
:grey:i am SOOOOOO jealous! red loreds are my favorite amazons! my Rita died last year and i miss her like crazy! i adopted her as a middle aged adult and i've never had a baby one, but i wouldn't miss your position for the world! learn everything you can and HAVE fun. red loreds are the BEST!

DW

Most Reactions

Latest posts