New Sun Conure weird Behaviour

nwyk153

Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Parrots
Sun Conure, Green Cheek Conure
Hello all! I need all the help for my new 14 months old nervous Sun Conure! I got him/her four days ago, and i can see that he is making progress! He manage to take treats from my hand on the second day!

The only problem i had with him is that he seems to be sitting at the corner perch all the time, with his body hunching and his head down when his taking a nap(looks like he's sick). And whenever he's on any perch, he would stay very low with his stomach/chest touching the perch and stare blankly into space. The weird thing is when he sits there looking all sick, his feather aren't fluffing and his wings isn't droopy. He looks fine minus the hunching of the body and looking very cautious.

At the pet store, he is very active and cheerful. He is housed by himself in a 3ft by 2ft very low cage(Yikes!). His siblings has already went to good homes(I hope) so i took him in.

He's poops are almost solid and not runny. I gave him slices of apples, carrots and grapes every morning and the bowl would be empty by the end of the day. He drank and ate his mixed seeds and pellets normal(even though i never see him going near his bowls i knew that he had ate some).

Before i brought him home, i took him to the vet for check up(same thing i did when i brought home Baby my GCC). The vet said that he's healthy and well!

Oh and yesterday, he dared himself to sit on his cage door when i open the cage! But he still stay low and cautious.

Should I make another vet appointment? or am i just over reacting? :orange:

nicolee003

Oct 19, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Yoshi - Cinnamon GCC R.I.P. :(
Yogi - Normal GCC
I would give him a few more days to get used to his new home but if it's still going on a week from now I would bring him back to the vet. Congrats on your new addition!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Nicolee003's right, give your sun time to get used to its new home. You don't mention how long (s)he was at the pet store before you brought him/her home. There, (s)he was familiar with everything, his/her siblings were there, the store staff and all the customer traffic.....now (s)he is in a totally new home (s)he knows nothing about.

Think of how you would feel if you were taken from your home when you were 4-5 years old.....how long would it take you to feel comfortable in a new home. (S)he is taking treats because your voice sounds friendly, (s)he sees your other bird interacting with you and you have not given him/her any reason to be afraid of you.....trust will come, but you have to be patient.

You might try just offering treats, changing food & water, then no other interaction. Birds are flock animals and thrive on the interaction and association of their flock mates. When (s)he is ready, (s)he will let you know.....

I know it's hard to not interact with a new bird, but it shouldn't take too long.

OP
N

nwyk153

Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Parrots
Hi Weco. I guess i am just over reacted to all this. After all, Lala(his name btw) is my child now and forever will be. I just don't want to lose any of them. Thanks for the suggestions. I will update it and see if he progress through this.

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
My sun Starburst, was like that... heck.. he's treated more like a human...and he's still a bit skidish... he'll whimper to complain, and nip(no pressure from his beak) to say.. hey... you surprised me...lol..he's a funny little bird...then after that, he slaps his wings. Then rubs his face on you... and lightly squawks...he's adorable..:)

OP
N

nwyk153

Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Parrots
Hi 94lt1, my conure gave me a nip this morning as i was giving him his morning treat. It's painful, but no blood drawn. Lesson learned! lol. I have to take it very slow. Can't wait to cuddle him though cuz that mischievous face really gets me.

OP
N

nwyk153

Jan 15, 2013
Singapore
Parrots
Yay! he's progressing! he is more active than before. Over the weekend, Lala has been hanging outside of his cage more often! I have to lure him with treats to get him out of his cage. Going to start Target training soon. He is still a little bit nervous though.

Most Reactions