New to forum and parrothood, HELP!!

Deb

Dec 20, 2009
MN
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Hi Everyone, It took me awhile to find a site that I thought would fit for me but this looks like the best one. I have had animals throughout my life. Cats, dogs, horses, misc farm animals. My baby at the moment is a 10 yr old 1/4 horse, Cisco. I've also had some experience with birds {Finches/Cockatiels}
I had always wanted a parrot but the cost was always prohibitive so I didn't think I would ever get the chance.
Last week a co-worker told me that her dad had a Blue Fronted Amazon Parrot, named Albert, that he HAD to give away because was moving into an apt. where the bird was not allowed. I told her I was interested and 3 days ago she said that if I wanted him he was mine. He was delivered today. I am totally unprepared. Altho' he came with tons of stuff. Cages, toys, food. I am almost clueless as to how to make sure he stays healthy and happy. I know they need and love attention that's not the problem. It's more what do I feed him. Does he really need to shower every week? Do I dry him or let him dry himself? Are my cats going to get along with him?? {My cockatiel used to walk on the cats and they wouldn't bother him} Is it true my cats saliva can kill the parrot?? So many questions. I hope I learn all the answers soon enough to make a good parrot mama.
I've been told that this first week I should just let him be in his big cage without trying to handle him. Just talking to him and feeding him but not trying to touch him. I was given pelleted food for him. Is this enough or does he need other food on a daily basis??
Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
deb

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
Hello Deb i am also new i am getting a quaker parrot i have never owned a parrot but have been studying for a week so any advice i give you you dont have to take as i know practically nothing. parrots dry them selves is what i hear but people say to give them a shower or a birdy bath , just a bowl with water in it, 4 hours before it starts to get cool so they can dry off. as far as i have herd from every place that i have herd is that cats saliva is infact poisonous to parrots and i also have cats. i am going to go extream with my parrot and keep him in a seperate room but i am a little paranoid some cats dont do anything to birds as you have discribed with your cockatiel so it is all up to you but all it takes is one swipe or instincts to kick in. i dont know what to feed a amazon and dont want to start giving "i think all parrots like..." so i will leave that to someone that knows. that is all i can think of now.
some people with more knowledge about parrots should get on later and hope this helps but remember i dont know much about parrots so take what i say with a grain of salt.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Deb, welcome to a great informative forum, sure loads of advise will be available.
Your life is about to change forever, like having child 24/7.
Do you know his age?
Give him time to settle down in his new environment. Remember everything is new to him, (except for the cage and toys).
Leave the cage door open, and let him explore in his own time. Sit near the cage, talking to him. If he is talking, say the words that are familiar to him, if he has said them. Each time going a little closer. Don't attempt to pick him up, in the beginning. When cleaning the cage as well, keep talking to him, telling what you are doing. Once he has gained confidence and trust he should venture outside his cage (climbing and sitting on it) that a great step forward. I suggest keep the cats at a distance for a while, perhaps in a different room. They are strangers to Albert. Either pet could make a sudden movement or sound, frightening or even attaching one another, could end in disaster. Something we will must avoid at all costs. I suggest, take the cat into the same room as Albert when you are present. Make sure the cage door is closed. Not letting the cat get to close, let them suss each other out. Hopefully a new friendship will be formed. Place a little birth bath in the cage. Once he has settle down, he may start playing and splashing with the water, perhaps even stepping in by himself. They clean themselves naturally. You do not have to dry them off. I have an AG Mishka, 2 years old now, I handreared her from 6 weeks. When the weather is quite chilly, I actually blow dry her she loves. Please do not attempt to do this. If the weather is warm, he will dry off naturally. If cold, place a full spectrum light nearby, that should do the job. Pellets are great for birds. Here in South Africa it's called A vi.Plus DELIGHTS. It's a complete nutritional diet with proteins, vitamins, minerals and trace elements. You mentioned when receiving the bird, pellets were given to you. Try purchase the same one, something which Albert is used. Place another small bowl in his cage, offering him some fresh fruit and vegetables. Perhaps some cereal in the morning. Eg Weetbix.
Birds love nuts, cashew plain, hazel, pecan and almonds. Rather give Albert fresh fruit than the packaged one, they contain sulphurdioxide which is not good for them.
PLEASE NEVER EVER GIVE ALBERT AVOCADO PEAR - CHOCOLATE - COFFEE
The above mentioned items are a no no, could kill a bird.
Albert must first gain your trust, try offering him a nut. At first, even thru the bars of the cage. He might take it, and eat it. Grab it and throw it. Offer them to him continuously, eventually he will take them. Birds thrive on routine, knowing what to expect and when. When giving, try to give it the same time every evening, or as close as possible.
Other members I am sure will be able to advice you about the cat's siliva topic, I do not have any other pets.
Give Albert lots love and attention, and quality time. Interact with him as much as possible.
KEEP TALKING TALKING TALKING TALKING, he will soon amaze you.
I am no bird expert, this is all just from experience having had parrots for a number of years.
Hope this info was helpful.
Anything else please just ask
Keep us posted
Take care

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
Good morning and welcome! Antoinette just about summed it all up. Very good advice. I get birds in quite a bit from people with different reasons as to why they can no longer keep them. How I work with that bird basically is on a bird by bird basis. I have had some that want to stay in their cage and settle in for a few days, and some that want to come out right away and play. It all depends on the bird. My birds all like different foods. Some may like one kind of pellet whereas the others like another kind. I also give my birds fresh fruit and veggies everyday along with a few nuts. Mine love sweet potatoes and pasta. Once you two bond you are going to love him. Enjoy!!:green1:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'd also say Antoinette covered it all quite well. If he came with a good pelleted diet that can/should be the majority of his diet. This can then be supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies as described.

As for cats - it is true that cats carry a bacteria (in saliva but also under claws) that can be very dangerous for birds, yet many people have birds and cats living together happily. Much caution is needed, and at least in the beginning I'd say just keep them apart: when the bird is out the cats can be closed in another part of the home.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have a cat and an African Grey. Although my kitty is a laid back Maine Coon I never trust the hard wired instinct to chase a bird. If I am not supervising (in the room) kitty and birdy are separated. So no matter how the kitties are acting never trust them.

OP
Deb

Deb

Dec 20, 2009
MN
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Thanks for all the input. I can use all the info I can get.
Albert is 11. He's doing well this morning. Altho' he walks away if we try to put our hand close he knows what a banana chip looks like and came right over to take it from my hand. That was the treat his previous owner sent with.
Is it true that parrots can be potty trained to go only in there cage??

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
That is a very good question. Although my military macaw has never pottied outside of his cage or when we are outside, he was never trained that way. When he is on the floor or on the furniture, he will climb down from where he is at, go to his cage, potty and come back out. He has always done that. Now the other birds??? Not a chance!! When nature calls, they answer, no matter where they are. One of our clients at work said he trained his senegal to potty on command when he was out of his cage, but I'm not sure I want to believe him since the bird pooped on me when we got done clipping his wings and nails. lol. Good luck with your new guy and you two have lots of fun together.

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
Riley my cockatiel potty trained himself :)

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned no caffeine.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Deb, glad Albert took a treat, it will improve slowly but surely, well done. :)
I potty trained Mishka at at 3 months. When coming out the cage, placed her on the potty, touching her tail softly saying
"Mishka poppy in the potty".
At first nothing, then when I saw her wiggling and squatting, quickly placed her back on, saying Mishka poppy in the potty. Took a while, was very patient. Now when she is out, walking around, she walks towards the potty and she says Mishka poppy in the potty. Often an accidents occur on the floor etc, but not often.
Perhaps having her so young helped, it might take Albert a while longer (not sure) just preserver.
I have placed a steel dogs bowl in her cage. just under her feeding bowl. She tends to made her business in there mostly, depends where she when she needs to go.
This method works for us, perhaps other members could give their input which might differ.
Give it a good, you have nothing to lose.
Keep up the great work
Take care

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts