new to gcc

arlady

Dec 29, 2016
Arkansas
Parrots
1 GCC Yoyo
I know i posted this on an older thread but I don't know if it is still active so i thought I would try a new thread.

I was recently give 2 gcc by a friends neighbor and 2 bird cages for them. I grow loofas and was looking to see if I could give them to my babies. I am happy to see I can. Now my question is can they also have the loofa peel? Or, do I need to peel it. What about the loofa seeds, can they eat those? We feed safflower seeds to the outdoor birds, is this the same safflower seeds I read are given to gcc?

Thanks
Mary:green1:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow! Interesting question.

Maybe use the SEARCH tab to see if there's more loofah info here?

In any event, welcome! Glad you found us.

:)

OP
arlady

arlady

Dec 29, 2016
Arkansas
Parrots
1 GCC Yoyo
Thank you for the welcome and for the reply. I have searched everyway I can think of to no avail. I have searched the web in general too. :green: I called the only Avery vet in the area and she said she had never heard of a parrot of any kind playing with/eating loofas at all so she wasn't any help. I peeled and deseeded a small loofa and gave it to them but so far they aren't interested.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Although I don't know in respects to parrots, I did amquick Google search and found that loofahs are edible if harvested young (seems to be eaten in China?) Though I think that may be because it gets more fibrous as it ripens. It's related to cucumbers.
Loofah is used in parrot toys too so it's not toxic at least..

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I've seen many bird toys that contain loofahs, so as far as being peeled and deseeded they are safe. I'm not sure about them eating the seeds or the peels though...And yes, safflower seeds are OK for them, a lot of seed mixes substitute safflower for the more fattening sunflower seeds most of them have. They are the same safflower seeds in wild bird mix. My cockatiel was actually weaned onto Higgins Safflower food, which I wasn't thrilled about because I had to slowly switch her to pellets, but it was a much healthier seed mix than the cheap ones full of sunflower seeds. I'll try to find more out regarding the loofahs...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
arlady

arlady

Dec 29, 2016
Arkansas
Parrots
1 GCC Yoyo
Thanks to all of you for your help. Yes, loofas are edible for humans. To eat them they need to be picked green and usually are cooked. I have also seen toys that says they are made out of loofas, that is what started me thinking. I put a young dried one in the cage and they aren't interested. But neither of my 2 seem to like toys much at all.

Most Reactions