New to Macaw ownership

brycehill

Jan 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I just bought a blue and gold macaw. Ive never owned a bird before and she and i are getting along great! my question is, she use to be a plucker, shes bald from her chest, down. I was wondering if those feather will ever grow back? please help!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Yes, No & Maybe.....

Because plucking can be a medical problem, a psychological problem or a habit, you will not know until she starts moulting again. Environment, diet, allergies, second hand smoke, neurotic behavior...all of these could be the or one of the causes. It can also be a addiction...some parrots even pluck and/or mutilate themselves because of the endorphin rush they get from the pain

It will not be an easy or quick process, unless by some miracle, the problem was her previous home & moving in with you cures the problem. You will need some type of log to eliminate things as you go...also, although some species of birds moult throughout the year & others change out their feathers once or twice a year, it will be a time consuming process. In order to eliminate a health connection, an exam & series of tests will be needed, so there will be that expense.....

Good luck

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum. It is very good that your B&G and you are getting along so well this quick. Hopefully that could mean she was not in a bad situation in her previous home.

Do you know any background on her? And do you know her age? That info can help us know a little more about your darling & can better help us help you with any more questions you may have.

Good luck with her & does she have a name yet? As was suggested already, a checkup with an avian vet will help determine if your B&G's plucking is associated with diet or illness. It is always a good idea to have your new birds checked out, just to be on the safe side.

OP
B

brycehill

Jan 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
lets see...my macaws name is Polly. She was already named. I was told she is 16. The reason the previous owner got rid of her is because, once the woman got a boyfriend, Polly started wanting him and would have nothing to do with her. she said she had Polly for about 10 years.

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
This kinda sounds like the one that Harleyrider was going to pick up. If so its good to have you join the forums and researching so quickly.

Can you send some pics of the bare spots so we can take a look at the areas?

OP
B

brycehill

Jan 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
photo4a_zps95318d58.jpg
photo3a_zpsc076e1f3.jpg
photo2a_zps7a5b1503.jpg

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
lets see...my macaws name is Polly. She was already named. I was told she is 16. The reason the previous owner got rid of her is because, once the woman got a boyfriend, Polly started wanting him and would have nothing to do with her. she said she had Polly for about 10 years.

That's a poor excuse to get rid of a bird!!!

She might of started plucking because of the new bf issue. Yes I agree with others that it'd be wise to have her checked out by a vet. They may grow back if she is healthy and keep her on a good diet with plenty of toys for her to chew up. Java was in a smoking home and poor diet so he plucked, he have since grew them back nicely. Dixie used to pluck but she only barbers the tip part and her crown, I can tolerate that better then plucking. Gracie is another story, still working on her....

OP
B

brycehill

Jan 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
the previous owner said that polly plucked even before the new bf. Im just trying to her out of the cage every second im home and give her lots of fruit and veggies.

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Awww, poor baby. She is still a beautiful macaw!! She seems very comfortable on your hand and it sounds like she has found a super good home finally. So, there is a chance with your love & patience she will quit, but it is a long slow process.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I can see what appears to be a lot of feather follicles in the plucked areas. I think it's possible for the feathers to regrow, but not all of them.

My cherry headed conure (RIP) also had a bare stomach, but his stomach was mostly smooth (no tiny little bumps indicating there's feather follicles underneath the skin) except for one area that would grow 1-3 feathers.

A sprouted seed and pellet based diet along with fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, the occasional cooked eggs, healthy grains and healthy legumes may help - along with foraging and making sure that the plucking isn't medical in nature.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Congratulations on your new bird! I am a new macaw owner too (last fall) and I love it!

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
5 parakeets and Two 7yr old severe macaws Dexter(m) and Peek-a-Boo(f) two Blue and Golds Oscar(m) and Lilly(f) both mid teens
Welcome Bryce, yep. That's the macaw I was going to get . But she sold her to you first. She is a friendlybird. Good luck with her plucking.

HarleyRider

Jan 26, 2013
Evansville,In
Parrots
5 parakeets and Two 7yr old severe macaws Dexter(m) and Peek-a-Boo(f) two Blue and Golds Oscar(m) and Lilly(f) both mid teens
the girl you got her from told me she started plucking her feathers a couple of years ago. She does take to men . Loves to be held and have her head rubbed.

Most Reactions