New to me injured sun conure

TiagoVegas

Jun 18, 2014
Hello all..

So me and my family go into a exotic bird store 2 days ago and bought an injured sun conure. We named him Tiago. His foot is injured and doesn't really perch. On top of that he goes ape**** if we try to take him out of his cage. I am thinking they mistreated him at the shop or something. The guy at the shop said he was very young but I did some research and he can't be that young because he doesnt have that green layer of feathers anymore. Anyway we are taking him to a avian vet tomorrow to get his leg checked out and hopefully they can tell us more about him. I wanted to know if anyone has ever taken in a bird that was hurt and cage aggressive and helped them to be better? I now realize that we are in way over our head but I believe things happen for a reason and we can help him.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Thank you for trying to help this little guy. He must have suffered a lot and now has a new lease in life with your family. Good call on the Avian Vet visit. He can point you in the right direction. My tip, write down all your questions so he can address each one, especially his foot condition.

He is scared of his new environment and the big hairless human(you). He is holding on to the only thing he has known all his life... a perch and a cage. Give him some time, as long as it takes, to get to know you and trust you. For now, be content with leaving him in the cage, talking to him from a distance, giving him a treat if he is up for it. Make sure he does not starve. I say this because if the pet store did not give you his usual food, he may not want to eat what you are offering him. So get a bag of his usual food (whatever it is), then transition to a healthier diet. I recommend lots of fruits and veggies. Some nuts and seeds in foraging toys (look these up, parrots love them). A small bowl of pellets.

Overwhelming to think of everything you need. One day at a time, for now A Vet. Good luck and post pics!

OP
T

TiagoVegas

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks a lot for the response.. I will do all of those things.

We will see what the doc says tomorrow!

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine. Regards to Tiago!

OP
T

TiagoVegas

Jun 18, 2014
Hello all..

The appointment today was good. Mostly good news. He is healthy and more tamed than I though. The dr didn't have a problem getting him from the cage. She did it with a small towel but he was cool.. Not freaking out too much. The bad news is his leg is not fixable. Doc said he is less than a year old but the injury has been there for a while. His ankle and his knee joints are messed up. His ankle won't bend at all. So our bird is somewhat a special needs bird.

Doc said we need to lower all his stuff and give him somewhat of a hard floor to step on. She said he can live a normal life if we set him up right.

He is already starting to get used to us.. he has loads of personality.. He put on a show for me and my fiancé just a little bit ago.
He doesn't perch because of his leg so he hangs on the side of the cage and gets around by using his beak to reach and his feet catch up to where his beak reached to.. He does this over and over.. Well he was getting hype and reached for the roof of the cage and stood there upside down.. Then he let to of his beak and one hand.. He did a bunch of different tricks. Seems like it's only a matter of time and getting used to us and he will be fine.

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
Glad to hear his injury isn't stopping him from living a full and happy life! Sounds like he's starting to get used to you guys as well :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts