New to Quaker Parrots...first week home advice!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Imagine being in a plexiglass box, people coming by tapping the box at random times.....

Being in a home with known people and a safe space.......don't worry to much.....your bird won the lottery as far as it's concerned.
Ok thanks! It does help getting advice from knowledgeable sources vs stores in some cases. Some stores do have knowledgeable people but not all that's for sure!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Imagine being in a plexiglass box, people coming by tapping the box at random times.....

Being in a home with known people and a safe space.......don't worry to much.....your bird won the lottery as far as it's concerned.
We have a busy weekend so we will be out of the house for a while today and tomorrow so I am hoping that will give him some adjustment time to explore without worrying about us being home. I did buy him a radio to have playing while we aren't home as the store said he liked the music they had playing so hope that is good too!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just trust me the first time you want it "step up" cover your hand with your sleeve and put the bird on your shoulder. But no need to rush it's been ONE DAY.... give it time and it might just come out of the cage to you.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Just trust me the first time you want it "step up" cover your hand with your sleeve and put the bird on your shoulder. But no need to rush it's been ONE DAY.... give it time and it might just come out of the cage to you.
Thanks! I'm def not trying to rush! Just trying to gather knowledge and advice to keep in mind as time goes on. Sorry if it seemed like it! You have been soooo very helpful and I do appreciate each and every answer and advice bit that you give!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Ok so I know I have asked a lot of questions. So my new little guy seems to be grooming a lot and staying pretty fluffed. Is this a normal or typical behavior for day 1 and/or 2 in a new home? He is also seems to be napping or closing his eyes often but will open them when we start talking. I just wanted to be sure. I do have his first vet appt set up for next Friday (7 days away). I know I may be over worrying but just concerned is all.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
We have a busy weekend so we will be out of the house for a while today and tomorrow so I am hoping that will give him some adjustment time to explore without worrying about us being home. I did buy him a radio to have playing while we aren't home as the store said he liked the music they had playing so hope that is good too!

Ok so I know I have asked a lot of questions. So my new little guy seems to be grooming a lot and staying pretty fluffed. Is this a normal or typical behavior for day 1 and/or 2 in a new home? He is also seems to be napping or closing his eyes often but will open them when we start talking. I just wanted to be sure. I do have his first vet appt set up for next Friday (7 days away). I know I may be over worrying but just concerned is all.
THAT MEANS ITS CONTENT! If all the feathers are slicked back like it's ready for a stand in for tom cruise is when it's upset. Fluffy is good.

Fluffy is calm.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
THAT MEANS ITS CONTENT! If all the feathers are slicked back like it's ready for a stand in for tom cruise is when it's upset. Fluffy is good.

Fluffy is calm.
The closing of the eyes quite a bit is ok also?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I agree that being fluffy sometimes is normal, half closed eyes are a bit concerning in some cases.
Is his tail bobbing when he breathes at all?
I would say he’s probably a bit stressed is all but just want to make sure.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I agree that being fluffy sometimes is normal, half closed eyes are a bit concerning in some cases.
Is his tail bobbing when he breathes at all?
I would say he’s probably a bit stressed is all but just want to make sure.
No he is not tall bobbing. Just seems super tired. But he has spent almost all his 1 yr at that pet store so this is the first switch he has had.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
So after a few hours out of the house we returned to him wandering around the cage and plenty of evidence he explored and at while we were away. He is climbing around pretty active at the moment.
We have moved on to copying a knock in his own way. Also my daughter and I played some fun dance music and started dancing as we were he did bob his head with us so we rewarded with a cheerio. Anytime I talk to him he seems to be super interested and a few times as I talked to him he chirped back at me but not screech like just a chirp.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ok thanks! It does help getting advice from knowledgeable sources vs stores in some cases. Some stores do have knowledgeable people but not all that's for sure!
I like to go into pet stores and ask someone who has the demeanor of someone who knows what they're talking about and ask them questions I already know the answers to to find out how much they REALLY know. I used to do this when I was really into keeping and breeding freshwater tropical fish and it was amazing some of the BS answers people would give me.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I like to go into pet stores and ask someone who has the demeanor of someone who knows what they're talking about and ask them questions I already know the answers to to find out how much they REALLY know. I used to do this when I was really into keeping and breeding freshwater tropical fish and it was amazing some of the BS answers people would give me.
That seems very smart and xan help you choose where to shop from! I did talk to one at a store who knew quite a bit about them so that was helpful as she was telling me things I had already researched or gotten from here.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Ok so I have another question. We have his first vet visit Friday. Can anyone give me advice on how to get him from cage to carrier since he isn't able to be handled at this point which us understanding given so new to the home.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ok so I have another question. We have his first vet visit Friday. Can anyone give me advice on how to get him from cage to carrier since he isn't able to be handled at this point which us understanding given so new to the home.
If you can have someone else do it he won't associate it with you. A towel helps.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Ok! I will do that! I def don't want the negativity associated with me for sure!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Ok! I will do that! I def don't want the negativity associated with me for sure!
I agree I'd have someone else do it......Also....Sometimes, you just have to do it. I'd try luring, but an appointment with a vet is important enough to just reach in and get it. There are exceptions to the "bird's bill of rights". If they are in danger, have something in their beak that could hurt/poison them, or to see and AVN you can violate the birds "rights" in those instances.

You (or whoever helps) may get a bite, but if your willing to take a bite from a new bird you care enough about the bird to keep it safe. Also Quakers don't really bite that hard. I'd rather a quaker bite than a conure bite.

Most Reactions

Latest posts