New to Quaker Parrots...first week home advice!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I'm hoping we are going in a good direction as far as closer interaction. We are now allowing the cage to sit open while we are around and he freely comes in and out. He still isn't crazy about us being hands on which is ok i feel still at this point. He is pretty vocal both in and outside of his cage. When I do get him down to sit with me he wants to go hide his face in my arm pit or hair and just sits. But being outside of the cage he is wandering all over just chattering. I was wondering if this is still a hood place to be given we haven't had him to long.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I'm hoping we are going in a good direction as far as closer interaction. We are now allowing the cage to sit open while we are around and he freely comes in and out. He still isn't crazy about us being hands on which is ok i feel still at this point. He is pretty vocal both in and outside of his cage. When I do get him down to sit with me he wants to go hide his face in my arm pit or hair and just sits. But being outside of the cage he is wandering all over just chattering. I was wondering if this is still a hood place to be given we haven't had him to long.
If anyone has an opinion or just a yea that's great or maybe try this...just let me know any advice is welcomed!

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
You are doing great. Amazing for just one month.
Thank you so much! New to this and am learning more each day and so much beyond just what we have researched as a family before getting him. Could you let me know the whole hiding his face thing when we get him down from his cage. Is this a typical thing? He just sits with his face hid and nibbles at my clothes. I have a dedicated tshirt as he was nibbling when I was helping with feathers. Everything I have seen said since he was 1yr and almost 3 months I believe old to not let him hide but it is the only thing he will do if we have him directly with us on the couch and such. Other than that he is wide open chattering and climbing in and out if on his cage.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Some parrots like to snuggle into hair or clothing. It seems to make them feel safe. Some may even doze off doing that. Nibbling on clothes is pretty common. QP Ralph does that a lot (fortunately I have a collection of dedicated "parrot shirts" so he can make all the holes in them that he wants :D ).

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Some parrots like to snuggle into hair or clothing. It seems to make them feel safe. Some may even doze off doing that. Nibbling on clothes is pretty common. QP Ralph does that a lot (fortunately I have a collection of dedicated "parrot shirts" so he can make all the holes in them that he wants :D ).
Ok great! That makes me feel better for sure! Yes I have dedicated that shirt just for hole making lol. His favorite spot seems to be sitting on top of his cage on the corner closest to where we are sitting and watch. I sometimes thinks he wants to come down but he hasn't made that step yet.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I don't want to look back and see if I said this but Quakers are hand shy......if you (I know its summer) can put on a hoodie or something long sleeve that covers your hand they will pop out on it.....they just don't really like fingers til they are used to you.....then it's fine. Cover hands with sleeves give it a try....they are like oh "not a monkey" ok its safe to land there.

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I don't want to look back and see if I said this but Quakers are hand shy......if you (I know its summer) can put on a hoodie or something long sleeve that covers your hand they will pop out on it.....they just don't really like fingers til they are used to you.....then it's fine. Cover hands with sleeves give it a try....they are like oh "not a monkey" ok its safe to land there.
Yes I think I do recall that and i use a towel when i need to get him out myself and he is ok as long as it is the towel coming not hands and doesnt try to run or "nip" at it at all! I will definitely do that when I start to work on that! We are taking things slow for sure and I guess at his pace and body language. I'm just super glad he is comfortable enough to come out on his own and wander and climb all over his cage! He does tend to hang out on the side closest to me whether it's in or out of his cage too. He had me laughing earlier. He has all these cool toys and he chose to play with the lock that we use for his door lol as within the first we we caught him attempting to figure out how to open it up.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Someone laughed before in a previous post present "cloth stumps".......they may just shoulder up and sit there for a spell...or for years......

They do get used to hands, but at first I think it is a "don't trust the hand thing at first."

OP
M

Mrs.C1607

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
Someone laughed before in a previous post present "cloth stumps".......they may just shoulder up and sit there for a spell...or for years......

They do get used to hands, but at first I think it is a "don't trust the hand thing at first."
I could see that for sure...he does trust our hands enough to take a seed as long as we are either handing it or our hand is flat out. I figured being from a pet store he was handled very minimally as they told me some days they only had enough time to say hello as they walked by so the whole "invasion" if you will of us I was already banking on it taking a while.

Most Reactions

Latest posts