New to site and Greys

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
Just wanted to say hello as I new to the site and about to get my first Grey. I have been devastated for the last month or so after my 12 year old Meyers, Buddy, died suddenly of a heart attack.

So, I recently started looking for a new fid and wanted to go in a different direction than a Meyers. After a lot of looking and research (lurking on here), I decided on a Grey.

I contacted a (semi) local breeder thinking I would have to wait several months and lo and behold, she had one that had just finished weaning with no home to go to. So, I'm going to drive a few hours this weekend to go pick him up! So excited!

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hello as I am sure I will have plenty of questions with a new species coming into our home. I've attached a picture of my new little guy below!

Andrew

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372686939.394913.jpg

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Congrats on getting a new family member, he looks very lovely.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your new grey baby. Pretty birdy. Do you have a name yet?:)

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
I haven't chosen a name yet. The DNA test is outstanding still and I need some time with "him" before I decide. I am definitely open to suggestions though.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry to hear about your meyers :(
Grays are very interesting birds, you'll enjoy learning about his character.

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
Getting really close now. My Poquito Avian Hotel travel cage showed up today. Can't wait for the weekend!

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
Also, I thought of another question. We have a couple of dogs who were used to Buddy. In fact, they would sit right outside his cage and wait for him to throw anything yellow (because, you know, he couldn't possibly eat anything yellow) out of his cage and they would catch it in the air and eat it while he laughed.

Anyway, my question is should I go ahead and put the main cage in the living room where it will end up and where the dogs tend to hang out or should I put it in another room until he gets acclimated to the house and starts to bond with us before the dogs are near his cage. I guess the question is should I Ty o ease him in or should I just go ahead and put him where he will be permanently?

Thanks.

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
Well, I went and picked my little "guy" up today. He is still pretty unsteady on my hand but is quite comfortable snuggling up to my chest and chin, even on the 3 hour car ride home.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373078601.036970.jpg

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
He looks lovely, congrats.

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
So I had read that Greys for whatever reason tend to be clumsy, especially as babies. I bought my Meyers about a week after he was fully weaned and he was crawling all over the cage as soon as we got home. This little guy, on the other hand, is definitely clumsy. He falls off perches or just tends to rock as he breathes. He definitely has an appetite though. How long does this clumsy stage tend to last? Is there anything I can do to help him get more confident when perching or even climbing around the cage?

Thanks.

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
Oh, and I think I have decided on a name: Sherlock.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
I think that in general AG's are clumsy. My CAG is now 1.3 years old, but she became quite confident in climbing on her cage about 3 month ago but she still tends to fall here and there. I think you can help him by inserting proper perches inside the cage. What does Sherlock likes to eat?

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
sherlock is gorgeous :) Greys are cool birds! Sherlock has a great home :D

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
For the first 2 days he was home he basically didn't eat at all. Since then he has been eating Roudybush non-stop. He was abundance weaned and also eats pretty much any veggies I give him and loves grapes.

I'm actually struggling a little bit with the fact that he doesn't seem to be that crazy about seeds. My Meyers would have done backflips for a sunflower seed so I am trying to find what I can use as a treat to begin working on basic training.

Also, I have noticed that he doesn't seem drink very much, as in less than my Meyers did. Should I be concerned about that at all?

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
And I should add that I'm not exaggerating when I say he eats non stop. He literally does. Should I continue to allow him to eat on demand until the gets all the way up to about 450 grams or should I limit his food intake somewhat or somehow?

Last edited:

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And I should add that I'm not exaggerating when I say he eats non stop. He literally does. Should I continue to allow him to eat on demand until the gets all the way up to about 450 grams or should I limit his food intake somewhat or somehow?

They don't usually drink a lot. In fact I hardly see my Tosia drinking. I think they get the moister from fruits and vegies.
On the other hand they are pretty good eaters. Tos'ka also likes to chew on something almost non-stop:)

OP
A

AUHeel

Jun 28, 2013
NC
Parrots
Sherlock - Male CAG
So, Sherlock isn't steady enough on perches to forage on his tree, so I decided to set him up a little foraging area in the floor this afternoon with a bunch of toy parts and some pellets and other treats mixed in. He is having a blast!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373490251.676100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373490279.711098.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373490314.474769.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts