New to the forum and new bird owner

Adawson88

Feb 21, 2013
Silver Spring,MD
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Hi. I've always had pets throughout my childhood; anything from ferrets and rats to a scorpion my and sent me or a snake my dad found in a box at his job. I remember finding a bird that had been kicked about of the nest but other than that I never had a bird nor had I thought of getting one until I saw my pineapple (green) cheek conure in a pet shop last week. I've played with birds before but I just instantly fell in love with this little guy/girl. I went home and started reading up on everything I could about them(I couldn't find very detailed sites) I decided to drive back up there and get him. The store even tried to talk me into a different green check brought by the same breeder... But this one was the whole reason I wanted a bird. Any good tips or good reading for a first time bird owner is appreciated!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
th_hello.gif
and welcome to the forum:)

bkparrot

Nov 13, 2012
Media
Brooklyn, NY
welcome to the forum. you are right about doing research on the bird you might bring home. It will help prepare you for some of the things that you might encounter.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Hello and welcome to the forum and congrats on your new birdy. There is a conure section on the forum that covers all species of conures. You might want to read all the posts ,Lots of info. Also Parrots For Dummies is an excellent book with lots of info. I bought mine second hand from Amazon .com. There are also some websites devoted to green cheek conures and the different color varieties, Their care ect. There is also another book called Birds For Dummies written by a vet. The recipie section on this forum also will give you ideas on foods that you can feed your new baby. Feel free to ask questions ,there are a lot of gcc owners on here:)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Congrats on your new friend. If you can we would love to see pictures of him. I was wondering why they were trying to talk you into a different GCC than the one you seemed to of bonded with. I find it interesting they would try to talk you out of the parrot you wanted.

Here is a pic of my baby. Valentino is now 6 month old RFM

ValentinoasGeek_zpsb7ea0230.jpg

Turk

Feb 14, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Bogey - YN Amazon Hatched Jan. 1982
Valentino is very handsome! Appears to be getting his daily Jedi training from Obi Wan Kenobi :D

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Welcome and congrats on your new baby. I have a Cinnamon GCC and she (maybe a "he") is my baby. Trixie is so intelligent and quite a clown. She can be extremely cuddly but can become nippy due to her short fuse, lol. Trixie can talk. Just remember to have lots and lots of patience and take the time to build trust with your parrot. Find out how to read the body language of parrots. They will warn you before they bite. Also, most parrots don't like their cage being messed with and may become cage aggressive. Therefore, have someone watch your parrot while you clean their cage. Take your Green Cheek out every day for several hours. This is extremely important. If I'm ill, I have my kids take Trixie out.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Congrats on your new friend. If you can we would love to see pictures of him. I was wondering why they were trying to talk you into a different GCC than the one you seemed to of bonded with. I find it interesting they would try to talk you out of the parrot you wanted.

Here is a pic of my baby. Valentino is now 6 month old RFM

ValentinoasGeek_zpsb7ea0230.jpg

What a great pic of Valentino. He is gorgeous!

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum. Green Cheek Conures are excellent first parrots.:) And Pineapple Green Cheeks are awesome. I am owned by one. Peta is 6 yrs. old & was given to me by her former owner who loved her dearly but had to take on extra work after a divorce and didn't have time to devote to her.

If your new GCC is a baby or still young, it may go through a nippy/biting stage. They usually grow out of it & get back to being sweet & cuddly.;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts