New to the site

Heather2691

Jan 23, 2013
BC, Canada
Parrots
Senegal parrot named Rio
Hello all,

my name is Heather and I am new to this site, I am not however new to birds/parrots. I have had my senegal parrot Rio for about 4-5 years now and purchased her from a local breeder shortly after she was weaned.

I also volunteered at an animal rescue for 4 years and was their resident bird person. They didn't get birds often but when they did they came to stay with me for rehab and training. And volunteered at a wild life animal rescue where I got to work hands on with a ton of different wild birds, from large birds of prey to tiny humming birds.

I have owned/rehabilitated parrotlets, budgies, cockatiels, conures, senegals, love birds, doves, pigeons and even the occasional baby robin. Currently however I just own a senegal.

My most memorable rescue was a severely neglected cockatiel I named Tiki. He came to the shelter in a cage that was about 12" x 12" x 24", so small he could barely move. His water was full of feces, green and growing algae, his food was all husks not a single hole seed left, he was under weight and he had a broken wing to boot. He was under the care of this neglectful owner for two and a half years along with two budgies. None of them had ever been handled or let out of their cages. He had spent the first two years of his life at a pet store.

Despite his years of neglect and 0 hands on contact this tiel was very quick to trust me and would often cuddle up under my chin for a good snuggle. He passed away three years ago at the age of 12.

Anyways, thats me and my experience in a nut shell!

Cheers,
Heather

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum. You have had a very interesting relationship with the birds you have rehabilitated. Sounds like you have that special touch with them. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and stories.

CindyR

Jan 18, 2013
Parrots
Two sun conures - Olivia and Caillou
welcome :) would love to see some pics of Rio!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum:)

aConureLover

Nov 25, 2012
Wow Heather, thanks for sharing about Tiki. That really touched me. My conure, Chiquita snuggles with me all the time. The love that is transmitted from bird snuggling is incomparable to anything I have ever experienced. Pretty darn intense.
Welcome to the forum. You should feel right at home here. :) Post some pics when you get time.

Most Reactions