New with a B&G Help!

nicosmom

Sep 29, 2010
I have been reading about items that are toxic and I have some questions. Nico is 3 months old. I clean my carpets with steam cleaner and Bissel carpet cleaning agent. Is this toxic? If so, what do some of you use to clean carpets etc? I threw out my Febreeze but Im just worried about using something that could harm him. Im a neat freak so this is a challenge for me. I use clorox wipes like they could be extinct at any time and I clean my carpets about every 4 months because it is a very very light tan color and I have kids. Any help would be appreciated :)

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
Could you just use really hot water in your steam cleaner? I have done that before because i felt there was a residue left behind with the shampoo, and it turned out great! As afr as the wipes, are they unscented? I still use my frebreeze but only when the bird is outside for most of the day....he hates the vacuum so i roll him outside when i need to use it

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Niki, I myself use Shaklee cleaning products, all natural, biodergadable, I don't have carpet in my house so I don't use carpet cleaning solutions, I will check and see if Shaklee makes one and let you know, basicly anything that gives off fumes or odors from the chemicals in them can be harmful to your fids (fids=feathered kids), even scented candle's can be harmful, you can use organic potpurri or fragrant flowers to replace the fabreeze to help keep the house smelling fresh :)

Squawks

Sep 27, 2010
Media
God's Country
Parrots
B&G Macaw;
Scarlet Macaw;
Goffins Cockatoo;
Umbrella Cockatoo;
Moluccan Cockatoo;
Cockatiel
Because I have a house full of rescues .... I got rid of all the carpets in my house years ago lol :D. I think its more sanitary and easier to keep clean .... the only thing we have to worry about is the moving floor .... feathers and hair constantly floating across the wood and tile :eek:. Shaklee is good stuff ... I would stay with natural and biodegradable also. No matter what you use, I would make sure you have plenty of ventilation/windows open when you use it.

OP
N

nicosmom

Sep 29, 2010
Thank you so much for the advice. I was reading and freaking out hoping that I wasnt going to do something to hurt our new baby without meaning to. Its crazy to think that using something as simple as a household cleaning product or candle could be lethal to our little loved ones. Very scary!

addyteal

Oct 3, 2010
im with you it is very scary,,you dont really realize all the things that can hurt them
shaklee is a good idea and also anything all natural non scented even maybe is what i would try so much is on the market now,,,,,, even at walmart,,,,
i have a blue and gold newbie just got the baby one week today any suggestions?

Most Reactions

Latest posts