newb with a question about getting a second bird

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
Hello everyone.I have a greencheek, its my second one(my first boy flew away and will always be missed and loved).

Anyway she is about 3yrs old.I got her when she was 18mnth from a woman who had raised her from the nest and had health problems so could no longer keep her..She is my baby and is spoiled.I work from home so she is out on my shoulder most the day.
WEll Ive been thinking of getting a second one.But Im worried she would be very jealous.But since they are flock animals maybe she would enjoy the company...I really dont know..What does everyone think? Is it a good idea? Would it create problems?
My girl is bossy and only loves me, she will bite anyone that comes near me and is generally a little B word although she gives plenty of warning when she is upset, she also will sneak a bite at my chihuahua if she can get away with it.It would be so fun to have a second one, she is a cinnamon so a normal dark green one would be nice or a pineapple, it doesnt really matter...

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
She may be jealous, at least at first. My Nanday was very jealous of my Blue Crown when I first got her. Eventually they did become friends, but Rowdy did always remain jealous whenever I was handling Briana. But, after more than a decade together, she became very depressed when Bri passed away. And welcomed both the amazon and the Grey as new companions. She still gets jealous when I'm handling them, but it's the way she is. And she was the first bird, and has been with me a long time. I always feed her first, and cover her cage first, and play with her first.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Thanks..Umm how are your Nanday and Blue crown? Ive thought about maybe something different.I know the Nandays are soooo loud it kind of puts me off but I love the colors.I have a friend with one and it is so much sweeter then my greenie(at least more accepting of other people) but dont know if thats the norm for them. Are blue crowns loud?
One of the reasons I love my greenie is she isnt that loud.I mean she has her moments when she can get quite loud but not ear splittingly loud.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My BC was not as loud as the Nanday is. Once she started talking, which she did at 5 months old, she talked all day. Sometimes she would screech if she saw a dog she didn't know through the window, but it was a bit quieter screech IMO. Also at least once a day she would yell, "EEE EEEE EEEE" in this very piercing, high pitched way when she was just really happy. But, it only happened for a few minutes once or twice a day.

Nandays are pretty loud, but have a lower pitch to their screech.

My Nanday can be a bossy lilttle B though just like your GC, lol! The BC was very sweet and easy going. The Nanday does better with meeting and interacting with other people though because she is brave. My BC was shy with strangers, but at least start talking to most of them after they were here for a little bit.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
IDK, I probably ought to stick with green cheeks.I know they sell greenies around here but wouldnt know were to begin to get a different conure unless I find one to adopt.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I like so many birds, I guess I wanted something different. I had to find a breeder for the BC and get on a waiting list. Luckily I was the first person on the list because she was the only egg that year in the clutch.

Nothing wrong with having 2 GCs though. They are awfully cute.

If you want another bird, I think you should get whatever you'd like. Although when they are close in size you don't need different sized play gyms, and swings and things.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Just me personally, I'd go with a different species for my second bird. Why not try something new and foreign? I think BC are total lovers! They just generally have a great temperment. I'm set on adding an Amazon when I can devote the time and have a bigger home. I'll own one - one day.... : )

In my experience even if your bird doesn't take to the new bird or vice versa you can just make sure they have their own space (cage, play area, time with you, etc.) and chances are they will just ignore eachother. On the other end of that they could very much like to have eachother around as a bird companion. My GC didn't mind the other birds (tiels and keets) being around....

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, my BC had a completely opposite personality to my Nanday, so it was very nice for me to have them both. Rowdy is my inquisitive, hyper, acrobatic little clown, and Bri was my cuddly, sweet talker. Rowdy talks, too, but Bri talked to me all the time.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
I saw some painted conures for sale nearby but they look almost like greencheeks but more expensive.I dont see enough difference to charge so much more though.
If I decide on a bluecrown I will have to save up a bit more money.I only have 300 set aside right now.I could always go for a sun conure. I see alot of those for adoption on craigslist.But I dont want a problem animal either(screamer or biter)..Im going to wait and save up and keep looking around.

I guess my other worry is my age.Im 48 and dont want a bird that will outlive me either(assuming I live a long life)..

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, I'm 43, which is why I wanted to adopt older birds after my BC died instead of get a new baby. My amazon is about 29 and my Grey is 21.

Bear in mind many birds on CL are with owners who don't understand parrots and that could be why they are biting and screaming. Once in a new home with a bird person, they often turn around. Of course patience is needed.

There may be conures in rescues as well that would love to come home with you.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
I still think Im going to probably just get another Greenie.I do like them, they are small, not so noisy.They have little poops as compared to something bigger...I guess my biggest concern is noise..My family is not really noise tolerant, otherwise I would go for a Nanday or something like that.Ive always wanted a Blue crowned conure.
Like I said I have to look around, find that one that one bird that says "take me home"..

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
For me, the bird that said "take me home" was the Nanday, lol! Thankfully noise doesn't bother me, but a lot of people I know think she is just awful because of the screech. Of course, what they don't realize is that she is doing all that screeching because of their presence. She's warning everyone that this stranger might be dangerous. She doesn't do it otherwise. But, they don't believe me and think that is all she does all day.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Doris, where are you located? The breeder of my green cheek, River, told me a couple days ago she has babies. She did an awesome job raising River. :)

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
LOL, my greenie always screeches when my hubby drives up, but I think this is due in part because our dogs all start barking/whining and the general excitement that ensues.

There is a Nanday that lives at the laundry mat here.They put her outside on nice days and when we drive by we can here her calling from in the car with the windows closed.She is a super sweet bird though, Ive had her on my shoulder.They have two spair of cockatiels too so its quite a bird oriented laundry mat.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Rio we live in Kansas.It has to be driving distance.I drove 3 hours one way to pick up our greenie but my first boy I got at a local mom and pop petstore(he was just as sweet too)..

Most Reactions