Newbie here- Thinking about buying a B&G Macaw, need some advice

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
3 year old Blue and Gold Macaw- Elvis
Hey Natalie ! I was very surprise that he let me pet him and was so interested in me. Even when I was at the counter, putting down my information, he was just staring at me. It almost 5 pm, I got my cage from Kings Cages. What an awesome guy he is, my little brother went to pick up the cage today. So I'm going home now to fix the cage up,and if I'm done in time, I'll go pick up the bird. When I pick him up,what should I look for again, other than,observing he's eyes,feathers,and feet-? Also, how should I introduce when I first get home -? Should I name him right away -? Yes Natalie, I'm prepared for the bad times too, I know the excitement might wear out, but I have my parents at home to check on him during the day. I'm ready for any all activities, I was wondering if I can take him out with me from the start, like going to the store or family outings -? The cage is great,thank you. I am looking for a parrot stand and play gym. What do you recommend -? What other supplies should I get -? Thank you for all of your support. Can I take pictures of him later tonight -? Or should I wait -?

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw & Cockatiel
:D I'm so happy for you!

It sounds like it is meant to be. You always know when the right one comes along. That is great!
Play with him as much as he seems to like it, but I wouldn't take him on a shopping trip for at least a week or two. Let him adjust to home and to you so he is grounded somewhat. Too much too fast can certainly start some fears for him at such a young age. If he gets spooked on a trip, he'll be comforted by getting back to familiar surroundings....but coming home to new surroundings may only stress him out. Give him adjustment time and then slowly add in new things for him. Before you know it, you'll be doing all sorts of things together.
I have yet to take Holly shopping... but it is on my list to do soon. She still has a few small fears to work through first.

Look for bright and clear eyes, clean and bright plumage, clean feathers around the ventral opening, smooth breathing... most stores offer a free vet visit. Find out if they do this. Get him in for a health check as soon as you can so you know he is ok. The vet can also trim his nails if needed.

For the stand, it is up to you and how big of one you want. I prefer something smaller that is easy to move around. We actually use a stand that is from a retail store, made of metal and has 2 levels to it. They were going to throw it out.... it is on wheels and both of my birds can sit on it, each on their own level and not bother one another. It's great. Keep your eye open, you never know what you'll find that makes a good stand.

For supplies, get him a nice chew toy to keep him busy when you can't play with him for starters...and maybe some treats to help with bonding time.
Have fun tonight! and yes...get some pictures!!! I want to see him!:blue1:

Kaybrauer

Jul 13, 2010
Long Island, New York
Parrots
8 Parakeets, 6 Cockatiels and and awesome Grey.
Wooot congrats. When do u take him home? Im getting my baby african grey on mon aug 16th and i cant wait!! So happy u found a birdie =-)

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Hey guys ! Sorry for the late reply.But I have some pics of my new best bud "Elvis" ! He is awesome. At first I thought he was 6 months, but he's actually 3 months old. He was shy when I first got him on Saturday, but now he is very alert and attentive. He lets me rub his neck,give him a massage and rub his belly. He even responds to me, by saying "Show me your wings", and he opens up his wings for me. Sometimes when I try to rub his neck, he would try to bite, but then I would point a finger to his beak and say no,and he stops. The only thing I can't get him to do, is to "Step up ". How can I train him to do that-? Also, I still have to hand feed him with a syringe for the next couple of months with baby formula. He'll eat a seed or two if I hand feed him.
Enjoy the pics guys, and once again thanks again for your help :)

DSC03757.jpg

DSC03756.jpg

DSC03755.jpg

DSC03754.jpg

DSC03753.jpg

DSC03752.jpg

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03750.jpg

DSC03749.jpg

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
OH WOW....He's a real 'looker' isn't he? Gorgeous! Nice cage setup too. BTW, hope you're not too fond of that painting behinds his cage. Pretty sure it will be covered in food within a week lol.

Use treats to encourage him to come near you. Let him make all the moves and never force him to step up. Once he is comfortable, make it so he has to step up onto your hand to reach the treat. Combine this with the 'step up' command. Don't expect it to happen over night though (if your lucky it will), it may take a loooong time. If you do have no luck with this method, the next thing I would recommend is target training. For now though just be near him and let him get used to you and his new surroundings, talk to him softly.

Good luck :cool:

Erithacus

Jun 29, 2010
Media
Malaysia
Parrots
2 CAG
6 GCC
7 Cockatiels
3 Love birds
1 Bulbul
Elvis is very beautiful. I can't imagine that a 3 months old looks like a full grown bird.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
OH WOW....He's a real 'looker' isn't he? Gorgeous! Nice cage setup too. BTW, hope you're not too fond of that painting behinds his cage. Pretty sure it will be covered in food within a week lol.

Yikes! not to mention shreaded as well....lol, I see a problem with that low cieling becoming a shredding toy as well :54:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
You need to teach him to say, "Thankyouverymuch". He's a beauty. Enjoy!

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Thanks Aussie :) The cage is 4ft Wide,3ft Deep and 6ft High. Yea the painting,lol. I might move it. He's letting me do everything except stepping up. He's very shy about it. I let him out at night, and climbs to the top of the cage and hangs out. I want to get him a play gym or something, I'm not sure which one to get him. I also have a lot of people who want to see him, but I'm afraid to take in a travel carrier so early. Can I-?
Erithacus,thank you. I'm very surprise how he looks for 3 months old.
Yea Bobby, those ceiling panels might be a problem down the road,I'll see .
HRH,thanks bud. He's awesome. So far so good with him,he does a little squawking when he wants out of the cage or when he is really happy. Also the hand feeding going very well .

azelea

Aug 6, 2010
Media
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Senegal, Red belly, Bronze wing Pionus
your work schedule alone tells me that you are not ready for a macaw. just put yourself in the birds shoes, would you like to sit in a cage alone for 10 hours straight doing the same thing(play with the same toys, eat some food, take a nap, etc) everyday?!

and this is only one thing to take into consideration! :blue1:

not trying to deter you from getting him( looks like your pretty dead set) just remember the amount of attention he will need, and put away your entire weekend to spend time with him.

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Macaws are voracious chewers and can be extremely destructive, its not a matter of IF he/she will chew your paintings, ceiling, or wood paneling, its just a matter of WHEN, its much better to bird proof now, then to find out its to late after the fact! :eek:

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Wow Azelea, that was pretty rough, but I understand you want the parrot to be in a good home. I do let him out as soon as I get home from work, at least for 3 hours. During the day, he is interacting with my parents and brothers. And I do plan to change his toys every month. Weekends are no problem for me, because I am off. I also plan to take him with me when I go out, whenever it is possible. Thanks for your input :)
Thanks Bobby ! So Bird proof, can you give me some details-? All he does now when I let him out, he hang out on top of the cage and that's it. He doesn't do any exploring yet

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Thanks Bobby ! So Bird proof, can you give me some details-? All he does now when I let him out, he hang out on top of the cage and that's it. He doesn't do any exploring yet

Hide everything I tell you! lol

My ekkie used to be the same, just hung out on his cage, stand or with me. THEN he discovered he could jump off from those places and go check things out for himself (now I have to watch where I step lol). This is not all, but some things to check (some will depend on whether you let him grow out his flights or keep him clipped)

-Hide all electrical wires
-Seel gaps behind cupboards
-Remove any sharp things from the room
-Make sure any plants he has access to are 'bird safe' and non-toxic
-Watch for any places where he could get his head and feet stuck
-Pens, pencils are great to play with, however the pencils can be toxic. Try removing the ink tube from a pen and give him the shell to play with :)
-No air fresheners to be used in the room
-If he becomes flighted, windows need to be either covered or he needs to be made aware of them
-Running ceiling fans is a no-no
-Just watch for anything toxic like glues, paints, cleaning products etc
-drain all water from sink/bathtub and keep toilet lid down if he has access to it

There are some things to keep you busy, others may add more ;)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Ben's given you a good start, as far as the cage goes, remove the painting and the clock off the wall, move the cage out a bit if you can so the bird cant reach the wall, when it comes to that low ceiling, I don't know what to tell you, thats going to be a problem, here are a couple of websites with some good info to keep you busy for awhile.....

Bird Safety

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1912&aid=3110

azelea

Aug 6, 2010
Media
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
I do apologize for being so blunt, i was totally under the assumption that he would be home alone for 10 hours straight but it sounds like you have other people there to visit with him which is awesome and actually a great thing to do, get him well socialized and able to go to multiple people at a young age!! i hope you are having fun with him.... the baby stages go by fast and they grow up quick! :blue1:

azelea

Aug 6, 2010
Media
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
BTW i suggest (just from the pictures you posted) you invest in a sheet of acrylic to protect your ceiling. like bobby said.... its not a matter of if but WHEN...

He doesn't do any exploring yet

don't worry, he will... :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I also have a lot of people who want to see him, but I'm afraid to take in a travel carrier so early. Can I-?.

Personally, I'd wait to take him out. Remember, at 3 months old, he's still very much a baby, and going to a new home is scary and stressful. I'd give him a few weeks before taking him out and about like that. Let him get used to you and establish your relationship with him.

Another thing, I've been told of a "honeymoon" phase when a new bird comes home. Now, we never experienced that, but my in-laws did with their cockatoo. Basically, the first few weeks are just great with the parrot being well behaved, then all hell breaks loose. I would assume the "honeymoon" is due to the bird being stressed and unfamiliar with his surroundings. And the honeymoon ends when they're more comfortable and ready to "be themselves". Not sure that you and Elvis will go through this, but wanted to make you aware....:D

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Thanks for tip Aussie ! I already have the wires hidden. I don't think I'll let him in the Kitchen. I have no sharp items laying around,no plants. Its sure a lot of things to check on. I was thinking of boxing of the living room, with one of those small fold-up gates, so I can keep an eye on him. Bobby, thanks bud. I moved the clock and I'm working on moving the painting :) Wow those links were very helpful,especially the one from Dr. Fosters and Smith !
Thanks Azelea, no worries at all, I appreciate all the help I can get, I know I need it . As for the ceiling, I'll go with the acrylic,thanks :D
HRH,I'll wait a few weeks before I take him out,thanks ! So far he's daily routine is, feeding him in the morning, with a syringe, then he plays with his toys and I'm off to work. During the day he interacts with my family, until I get home at 6pm,then I let him out and he climbs straight to the top and hangs out there. He still doesn't "Step Up". All he lets me do is to scratch his beak,rub his belly and neck, and clean his feathers. He absolutely loves when I clean him up. Then that's about it, he looks around, but doesn't attempt to come off the cage and explore. I do have a major problem when its time to go to bed, but I think I'll start a new Thread for it. What else should I do when I come home and let him out -? Any training, playing -? I want to get a play stand, but not sure which one to get. I was looking at King Cages, but there is so many

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
Wow you really got yourself a YOUNG one, which is really the best way to get him to know you without all the defensive biting isssues of an older bird... My first two were rehomes which taught me a lot. Clifford had picked up enough bad behavior being in a pet shop for 7 months. Such a pretty bird and cage too!

OP
DAROCK

DAROCK

Aug 2, 2010
South Ozone Park,NY
Parrots
Thanks Alwese ! I really wanted a young one,so I can teach him to the best of my ability. Clifford is a beauty !

I don't know if I have a problem with Elvis guys.But what he does now, is he squawks every 8 seconds, and after he squawks he raises left wing. He did this when I came home this evening. He didn't do it earlier in the afternoon,when my brother let him out for an hour or so. He does this continuously and doesn't stop. Even talking to him doesn't work, picking him up, rubbing his neck or even putting him on my shoulders. Is this normal. Maybe a phase I'm going through -? Maybe something I'm not doing -?

Most Reactions

Latest posts