Newbie looking for help - moving to flat

troythecat

Nov 24, 2010
Hello I am new and hope nobody minds me asking for help...
We have had our African Grey for 8 years, he is a hand reared.

Through the recession we are losing our home and moving into a much smaller house (flat).

There definately isn't room for the haiti style cage he lives in.

Is it possible to house him in something smaller? He stands on top of the cage all day as the hatch is left open and seems content to do that.

I don't want to part with him, I did try an ad in adtrader and although I stipulated no breeders/dealers, the phone never stopped with dodge sounding folk. I withdrew the ad. I can't bear the thought of him going to somebody I don't know. Maybe it's because he is such a good talker, it feels almost like parting with a human member of the family.

I also have 2 dogs and cats, although that isn't a problem.

Please help me I am in such a dilemma :confused:

Troy

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I'm so sorry this has happened to you. :(

Are you in the UK? How big is the cage that you have him in just now?

OP
troythecat

troythecat

Nov 24, 2010
thank you Von

I am in UK
The cage is 41 inches high and 26" wide. This doesn't include the legs which lift it 23" off the ground.

He is happy just perched on top of the cage all day so wondered if I could find a way round it X

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I have just got out my tape measure lol.

I have a huge cage that my sun conure uses as a play den and I thought if you weren't too far away, you could have that one instead as it doesn't take up much room at all and I can always find her another bargain playden!

Sadly though, her cage appears to be less legs and more height and wider.....:( but still.....we have a small lounge and it's ok in there...?

If he likes to perch most of the day then that is good, but a smaller cage.....does he enjoy his toys?

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Or oooh Troy....have you thought of a corner cage....?

I want to help so badly and am feeling very unable to here, lol :(

OP
troythecat

troythecat

Nov 24, 2010
thank you Von, that's very kind of you:)
I am in Scotland;) It is a 2 bed ex-local authority flat and quite a small lounge, although we probably would get by. just wondered if it were possible to use a smaller one. He (or she lol) is not much into toys, although does seem to like the destructing ones.

I just can't part with him.

I'm not too worried about his noisy sessions as the flats are fairly old and solid thick walls.

Having him out sitting on his cage most of the day does mean he manages to make quite a mess on the carpet with droppings tho and I'd be glad to hear other peoples remedies for this :D

p.s. I caught my eldest boy out for having a party in our house when we went away for a couple of night...I came home to parrot making ring pull opening noises followed by a burp a few seconds later!!

OP
troythecat

troythecat

Nov 24, 2010
Von I didn't know there was such a thing as corner cages, but will go have a look now ;)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Welcome to the forum Troy. I am thinking if you do get a smaller cage that will fit in the flat then you can always attach a perch against a wall and hang swings from the ceiling ect. In other words you will use the air instead of the ground. You can make a ladder, my girl has got a few, that runs from the wall perch to the small cage.

I just want to say THANK YOU for seeking alternatives instead of giving him up.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
hehehe! She, I am sorry! What is the birds name?

I am originally from the Highlands - I am a chewchter! ;)

I am not surprised you don't want to part with him. AG's are wonderful and 8yrs is a long time to have a bonded Fid (feathered kid) and then part ways. I am sure you will find somewhere for the cage. Maybe lose a bookcase or computer desk or something :D.

With regards to mess, I put a plastic tablecloth beneath the cages lol. Catches most things. I have nearly "toilet trained" Cal though so she 9/10 goes to a cage to poop now. Sadly for the rabbit, it is sometimes hers....lol! Wiping little and often keeps things ship shape!

So funny that your son has been "grassed on" by a birdy hehe!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Having him out sitting on his cage most of the day does mean he manages to make quite a mess on the carpet with droppings tho and I'd be glad to hear other peoples remedies for this :D

Lots of newspaper on the ground.;)

p.s. I caught my eldest boy out for having a party in our house when we went away for a couple of night...I came home to parrot making ring pull opening noises followed by a burp a few seconds later!!

Hie-hie, that is funny!:D

Believe me, your boy will not mind downgrading as long as he does not have to change families.

OP
troythecat

troythecat

Nov 24, 2010
thank you Wildheart.
I only got what sounded like one genuine call for a new home from him, a lady that stays on a fishery who had a couple of other parrots and she wanted to take him and he would be in the fishery shop every day with her. I agreed to let her come and see him and later on chickened out as I felt it too upsetting. She agreed to me calling her when I was ready. However she text me the next day and said her "circumstances" had suddenly changed and she couldn't take him!

I just don't want to him to go anywhere now and am looking at other ways. You have just given me another good idea about using the air so will mention to hubby and see what we can come up with. I think he would like it as he loves being perched on top of doors also.

p.s I see you have tarantulas! what are they like as pets? I am phobic about spiders but they fascinate me too!
X

OP
troythecat

troythecat

Nov 24, 2010
thank you Von, (your link didn't work, but I found cages on ebay) I am away with the measuring tape again and may go for this idea, that would be perfect.
I am grateful for the replies, I didn't introduce myself on the forum. His/her name is Jordi (we got him from newcastle lol)
I have other questions I will post seperately to do with him always having a peck at me when I go to handle him, but not my brothers who don't see him that much but can do anything with him?
Also am I better to take him to the Vet to have his beak and nails clipped?

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Troy x:grey:

p.s. haven't heard the saying chewchter for ages haha

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I think there is probably many people who would have him but Linky is so right - nothing will make him happier than to stay with the family he already loves!

I know that Melly another member got a corner cage from Ebay for about £40 for her blue and gold macaw Beau!

Our Linky is very imaginitive though so she will be able to tell you EXACTLY how to use the air! :D

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Sounds like maybe Jordi (cute name!!!) probably prefers males! There are many techniques to use to prevent this so when you are ready, if you post the problem in detail there will be many members able to help. Our super dooper mods Bobby, Antoinette and SB all have AG's. There is also Lisa with little Maui and Greycloud to name a few! :D

With the beak and nail trimming, nails are better done by an AV who will show you how to do it, but Jordi can more than likely take care of his own. Sometimes if there is a problem like a twisted beak a trim would be needed, but not in a healthy bird. :)

Can't wait to see pics :D x

OP
troythecat

troythecat

Nov 24, 2010
thanks Von, your sun conure looks the most gorgeous colour :orange:
I also seen the movie of beau being stroked, beautiful too.

I am unsure how to add an image, can you tell me how :eek:

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
p.s I see you have tarantulas! what are they like as pets? I am phobic about spiders but they fascinate me too!
X

They are the most awesome colours and really fascinating to watch how they build houses and break them down again etc. They are look only pets because if they fall they break into pieces. The ones that I have is not for beginners because temp and humidity must be 100% all the time. Click on my name then you can see them in my album. Thanks for asking.:D

Our Linky is very imaginitive though so she will be able to tell you EXACTLY how to use the air! :D

I thinks that is the one character that my hubby hates about me - it always means he has to build things.:p

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Sounds like you've gotten good advice. My fingers are crossed hoping you get this worked out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts