Newbie with amazon

abluemountain

Oct 1, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hello, I got married 5 months ago and now I have a teenage step son (double yellow headed amazon) who wants to bite any time I walk by the cage.
Well, he bites everybody, he also makes loud noise which I am not used to.

I never had a bird and I have no idea what to do with him. :confused:
I am hoping to have a good relationship with him someday...

I'm sure there are good information posted in the past but I'm not sure how to search specific topic such as 'stop biting' in amazon forum.
I'd appreciate if you could direct me to links or provide me any clue of what to do with him. Thank you. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)

Many congrats on your wedding AND your new step child. :D

How old is the DYH? How long has your husband had him? Is he friendly with your husband? Sorry about all the questions, but the more we know, the better we may be able to guide you into the right direction.

Many Amazons become "one person birds", especially if they weren't socialized properly. Now that doesn't mean it's too late, and the bird's behavior can't be changed/manipulated. ;)

What are his favorite treats? You could start off by trying to win him over with food. Sit calmly next to his cage and talk to him. I would avoid eye contact at first, especially if he shows lots of aggression. Then, as you are talking to him sweetly and softly, try and offer him some goodies THROUGH the cage bars, and see how he reacts. :)

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
The best way to win over a Zon is through their tummy! I have spent many a lunch working with a bad tempered Zon by sharing my lunch through the cage bars with them. Eating is a flock behavior and even if early offerings get flung across the cage do not take it as rejection.Just keep talking and offering more. Soon they will be joining!

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
Maybe www.companionparrotonline.com can help you. They have some pretty good articles. I think the one that can really help you out right now is "THE CHAIR EXERCISE" by Sally Blanchard. You can also find the article online fairly quickly by googling:

The Chair Exercise by By Sally Blanchard

Here's the beginning of it:

Highly Successful Method

For several years, I have written about a highly successful way to win back the trust of a fearful parrot. This method also works with parrots who have become fear biters. While biting may seem to be aggression, a great deal of biting starts because a parrot becomes threatened and afraid. People do not want to stop interacting with their parrots but it can be very threatening for both the caregiver and the bird if people try to force a parrot out of his cage. Approaching a fearful parrot too directly will escalate the fear and can turn it into aggression.

Sometimes if parrots have experienced too many changes from a move to a new location or to a new human flock and/or the grief over a lost parrot, animal, or human companion they may be confused enough to decide not to come out of thier cages and may even exhibit aggression if people approach them too directly. Using the chair exercise provides them with the indirect attention they may need to be confident enough to come out of their cages and accept physical handling.

There is one absolute rule in parrot behavior and that is: parrots are more comfortable with people who are comfortable with them. The first step in winning back the trust of a phobic bird is to take a few deep breaths and relax.

The whole point of the patient chair exercise is to be as nonthreatening as possible and invite the parrot to approach you rather than being direct. It is used in situations where the bird resists coming out of the cage without fuss and fear. It works very well to establish (or re-establish) a trusting bond between a person and a parrot. For instance, when there is a sudden dislike of a family member, a new person wants to be a part of the bird’s life, or the parrot has experienced some traumatic episode, this concept is a key to building a trusting bond with the bird.

Start by positioning a simple chair near the cage. Ideally the door of the cage should be open, however, if the bird is exceptionally nervous when the door is open, then start with it closed. In some cases the chair may have to be introduced to the cage area gradually.

Sit in the chair so that your side is toward the parrot. This way you can see the parrot using your peripheral vision but you are not making direct and possibly intimidating eye contact with him. Your eyes should be cast downward and you should be doing something like reading a book. In the beginning it is best to actually ignore the bird. Because parrots are so social, the bird will most likely be interested in what you are doing. For a very shy bird, reading may be the entire session on the first day or even for a few days or so and it may seem as if haven’t accomplished anything. Be patient and keep providing him with this indirect, and even submissive, attention. Read your mail, pay your bills, write your letters, and have a snack, but do it quietly sitting next to your bird’s cage!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Sammy01 has given you some excellent advice, as I have used this method with some cage bound breeders I was fostering. It does work, but it takes time and patience. Don't expect overnight results. I would sit and make toys for the birds by their cages and over time they would venture out to steal a toy or parts. Recently Kylie ventured out of her cage which she leaves hardly ever, to steal puzzle pieces from my son who was putting a puzzle together in the floor by her cage.

OP
A

abluemountain

Oct 1, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Thank you everybody for your kind post, I feel encouraged already. :)
I'll find out more about him and post it also check your suggestions.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Congratulations on your marriage and new fid (feathered kid)!! And welcome to the crazy world of amazons! :D

You'll need to learn how to read his behaviors, and by doing so will greatly increase your chance of not getting bit. Amazons are easy to read- they have no qualms of telling you how they feel. Lol. Watch for tail fanning, eye flashing/pinning, head feather flaring...these can mean he's excited or you need to back off; depending on what's going on at the moment.

And I'll be the millionth person to say that zons are foodies. They go bonkers for any food. Just seeing you chew will peak some sort of curiosity.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
While sammy has given you good advice but it's intended for parrots who are ;fearful" yours sounds like it might be aggressive. Still, it might work in your situation and certainly can't hurt. If you aren't making headway let us know , there's many other things you can do. However like wendy said, we need more info and history to give you better advice. Welcome to the forum. Use the forum search at the top of the page. Searching "biting" will get you many results.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Welcome, yes male amazons can be something.
He does sound aggressive and male amazons are very territorial.

Talking to him and offering food can convince him you mean no harm to him, which will help. Your husband also needs to be pro active with this if your amazon is bonded with him.

As been said the more information you can give the better the help that can be provided. Amazons are foodies that is a fact!!

Congrats!!!

OP
A

abluemountain

Oct 1, 2013
Sacramento, CA
His name is Harley and he just had 20th birthday.
My husband had him from when he was a baby and he is very bonded with him and Harley is very friendly to him.

But he never bonded with his ex-wife and she was mean to Harley.
He says, that's why Harley doesn't like blond hair ladies.
Fortunately my hair is not blond but being female probably doesn't help.

I'll start with sharing food with him and sit by him for a while.
Thank you all for great suggestions. I'll keep reading..... :)

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
My Zon's name is Harley, too!

I ditto what everyone else has said here. When my Harley first came into our home he was such a frightened green chicken. I'd sit next to his cage, talk to him and read to him. I'd sing songs and play You Tube snippets of Zons talking. He loved that. Slowly, but surely he warmed up to us. I packed him full of his favorite treats and eventually he learned to trust each and every one of us in our home. Now he'll step up for everyone and is even cuddling with us!

Harley came to live with us two months ago. Just take things slow and do things on his own terms.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If he's bonded to your hubby,,,, i'd suggest not trying to interact with him when your hubby is around. Don't make it a contest between you two, you'll always lose. The trick is to win him over a little at the time when hubby is not around. Find a treat that he really likes and be the ONLY one to give it to him, never free feed it with food. Only from your hand, when he's being nice. Start with asking him if he wants a treat before ever approaching his cage,(i;d wait til he's calm, maybe after nap time), show him the treat before you get there, keep asking if he wants it. if he shows any aggression ,turn your back and walk away acting (talking about how good it is and how he's missing out. You can try the same approach later but wait awhile, don't be too available/easy. When he does start to show interest in you ,keep your interacts brief and leave him wanting more from you, NOT him tiring of you and driving you away. it will take awhile but chances are that if you work at it you can win him over. Just remember your the third wheel and show him you can be a valuable friend. Keep us informed and we'll be glad to help you improve your relationship with him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts