Nigel's just a little wordly wise this week and expanding palate!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Well it's been an amazing week with Nigel. My husband (for what reason I don't know) chose to teach him how to whistle like a siren on a fire engine or something of that nature. So our repertoire is now a wolf whistle, siren, "hello," and lots of murmuring sounds and chatter.

He has tried, and enjoyed, strawberries this week and snap peas. Loves them both and makes a huge mess.

He's also stepping up, lying on his back in my hands, giving a shaky version of shaking hands, and turning around (following a treat of course).

I can't buy any perches or stands here but am building one for him to enjoy. We all have a lot of fun - he's such a joy to have around. Our work is hard here with very difficult surroundings, but Nigel is a nice stress reliever.

I wonder what he will accomplish by next week??

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Perjo loves snap peas, tried them for first time last week.

I don't have the slightest clue how I am going to get her to lie on her back, have not tackled that one yet. Working on teaching her the call of a Loon.

It's exciting and neat to see other CAGs and how they grow, inspires to spend more time with my own.

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Nigel just said "pretty boy"! He has gotten so much praise...he even loved the cuddles he got afterward.

I told you he was exceptional...

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Way to Go Nigel...you are surprising your family with all your new tricks and phrases....keep them coming Nigel keep them coming :)

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I think we have a talker on our hands. This week, Nigel has said his name repeatedly, has begun whistling the tune to Robin Hood (cartoon version thanks to my husband), and has vpbegun to bark like dogs he hears in the neighbors yard. All at 6 months.

I'm trying to keep speech sweetly seasoned around him...

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
WTG Nigel :) Yup I'd highly recommend keeping tongue in cheek around these guys. Gracie hears EVERYTHING & just because she doesn't say it right then... days/weeks later something will spout out of her beak to remind you they are sponges.

Hubby & I tease each other all the time & I sent him a pic that said "Have a good day *!&Hat" & it had a donkey with a hat on. Well when he got home all he said was "$!#Hat am I?" & gives me a kiss. The next night he walks in.. leans down to kiss me hello & Gracie pipes up "#!$Hat am I?"

We are veryyyy careful around her now lol

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
awwww the name Nigel is the one I want to name the African Grey (that I may never get at this point lol) Nigel Miles...

Last edited:
OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I've had CAGSs and they've talked but not this early, not like Nigel. He makes me so happy. Tomorrow though I'll be blacklisted...its bath day.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, Nigel is learning by leaps and bounds! What an incredibly smart boy he is, I can't wait to hear what he has learned next:)

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Ahhh please don't ever get between Nigel and his peas...

Last edited:
OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Since Nigel loves Passion Fruit, I decided to introduce Pomegranate today. I can't adequately describe his hilarious reaction: "squwaaaaaaaaak! Oh dear lord what IS THAT?" Move swiftly to opposite side of cage.

Well, after I finished laughing, I decided to mix it in with other foods. But he saw it in there. "Squwaaaaaak! What IS THAT AGAIN?"

Laughing til I have tears.

Sorry Nigel.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm a fan of Nigel's!

I think his "I'm Sexy And I Know It" profile picture pretty much sums up his attitude and spunkiness. What a Smartie-Pants. Feathers. Smartie-Feathers!!!

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
HAHAHAHAHAHA! So true about him. I just love his attitude and fearlessness until pomegranate comes along. He climbs and goes everywhere but good grief...pomegranate or a new perch there's no way we gonna go near that.

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
So yesterday Nigel starts the day saying, "Zikomo" (local language here meaning "thank you"). But he is just whispering it, so cute! Then, he told me twice today, "Go poop." I brought him to his stand and there he let it go.

I'd say it was a great day. But no one knows what the grey raptor has in store for tomorrow. We have to wait and see.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I know what's in store... whatever ELSE he may be doing, he'll continue looking down his beak at the rest of us!

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes, yes, the King must be waited on by his human servants. At least he sometimes says thank you now!

Most Reactions