Nightmare story baby CAG really sick

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
I always anted a CAG, lately I had the time and the money to get one.
Mexico regulations about parrots and corruption leads to almost no breeders and since is illegal since 2008 to get any parrot or macaw which distribution is in Mexico.

Fist I bought many books about CAG and then the cage the toys, then I search for an avian vet in my area(And there where only two in the whole area) and finally I started asking who had a legal parrot or where to buy one. Finally I found a guy who bought one legally and told me about my current breeder (There are just like 5 in Mexico that I could find out). Finally I contacted him and after two phone calls I make a deposit to close the deal. After 4 months he shipped the parrot that he told me that is was partially weaned, which I find odd since at 4 months they are usually fully weaned at this point he was desperate to ship the bird, which I find odd, Then everything turned fishier.

He arrived from mexico city under another seller name (that was not my breeder). He was not weaned at all and looked weak, at the beginning I thought it was younger than 4 months and thats why it was weak, after two days he started having a bad nasal discharge and I immediately called the avian vet who is not in the city(currently on vacations out of the country) then i called the other avian vet who is away as away as well but they gave me the phone of a veterinarian who know about birds as well. I brought it to the vet and she told me that he looked awful and his state was critical, he injected him (My baby name is armando) antibiotics and gave me more antibiotics and told if something happened to come back I went home and two hours passed and armando had fever and couldnt breathe well we went back to the vet and they started to lower his fever and gave him more antibiotics (inhaled) we went back home and everything was fine for two days. Today he looks fine but he is not accepting food he had barely ate just 15 cc of formula and 10 cc of serum. I called the vet and told me to try to make him eat more but he won't eat anything.
I´m desperate I don't want him to die.

On the other hand I called the "breeder" and he confessed he never saw the bird and the pictures he sent to me where not real... and he just resell a bird he bought from another breeder. I called the breeder who sent my baby and told me is not his problem if the bird is sick. :(

Im sorry for my english if somebody have any advise please help.

Last edited:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Keep him warm in a small rectangular container like a storage tub, with towels and a blanket. The antibiotics will take a little while to work, but it sounds like you found a good vet for now. He might need fluids from the vet as well (they give an injection under the skin.)

Feed him as much as he will take, as often as he will take. Whatever he likes, try little pieces of fruit like apple or banana, cheerios or other "plain" cereal like rice krispies or puffed rice (I'm not sure what you have available) and keep trying the formula. Leave a little food with him in a bowl for an hour or so and see if he goes for it himself. You can try a little bit of plain yogurt too, which has good bacteria in it.

You can pretend to eat to see if it interests him, or have him around when you're eating dinner and it might help to get him interested in food.

Talk to the vet again when you can, but I think he'll be okay, don't worry.

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Thanks for your reply Aquila,
I went out to have a beer and try to relax and I came back a saw him eating pellets in the dark <3 . I´m sorry for the previos post I´m a bit disturbed after all this, I been so worried for my poor Armando. I will give him some fresh fruit tomorrow morning and see if he likes to eat some formula. I also keep giving the serum 2ml every 2 hours.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Thanks for your reply Aquila,
I went out to have a beer and try to relax and I came back a saw him eating pellets in the dark <3 . I´m sorry for the previos post I´m a bit disturbed after all this, I been so worried for my poor Armando. I will give him some fresh fruit tomorrow morning and see if he likes to eat some formula. I also keep giving the serum 2ml every 2 hours.

I'm really glad to hear he ate on his own. Hopefully after a good night's sleep he'll be feeling much better. I'm looking forward to learning about him so please keep us updated. :)

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
How sad. Sounds like he's getting good care now. Please keep us updated.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Any update on Armando?? You did good getting him to the vet so soon. He will do good knowing he has someone like you taking care of him :)
Keep us posted please!

Jim

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Today he stills refuses the formula but he was looking better, he drank 2cc of serum and .3cc of his antibiotics and keep playing around the house. After I returned to his cage he went straight to the pellets. I feel optimistic and I think that he is not eating formula because he likes pellets better. Anyway I´ll call the vet later in the afternoon just in case.

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Here is a picture of him eating a carrot.
Cheers,

Marco

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 126

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I believe that if Armando didn't feel better,he wouldn't be eating so much :eek: It sounds to me he is on the mend! ;) A very handsome guy he is,BTW.

Jim

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hes Beautiful...sorry you had such a bad experience but hopefully from mow on things will get better and Armando will get fully well soon and be your constant companion. Get well soon Armando. He certainly is liking his pellets and carrot :) Gorgeous pic :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Marco, it sounds like you and Armando had a rather rough beginning but you acted quickly and found a vet and did everything possible to help the little guy in difficult circumstances. It sounds like your excellent care has payed off and Armando has started to feel much better. He's adorable, please keep the updates coming.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
You did so well to study and research before, and I'm certain that helped save your babies life!

CherylCali

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
His appetite is still low and he still don't want the formula. He just pooped once from 9am till 2 pm (picture attached). He is on .3ml of Biotin 6% (Enrofloaxin 6g/100ml) I feel the antibiotic is making him sicker(Now that I think about that he stopped eating after I started the antibiotic). I also give him 2cc of serum (flavor less) every 2 to 4 hours while awake.
Cheers,

Marco

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 202

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for joining the forum, Marco. Your English is excellent, and I hope your future posts are happier.

Having a better appetite is a good sign, hope Armando continues to improve. Did the vet take any blood or droppings for lab work?

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
You have done an excellent job with Armando! He is handsome. Eating pellets is a great sign. He will be fully recovered before you know it! You are smart by staying in touch with the vet.

There are many good breeders out there but unfortunately bad ones too. I'm so sorry for all you had to go through. I'm thankful that Armando is with you! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
M

marcomm

Jul 18, 2016
Scott he make a nasal swab. I was talking to the vet and she told me to lower the dose lets see if this makes his appetite better.

Blancaej he is amazing I love him. He is so cheerful and cute. Today he just lay in my chest and cuddle.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 207

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have a GOOD FEELING about this!
Looks like things ae looking up!
Hang in there!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Scott he make a nasal swab. I was talking to the vet and she told me to lower the dose lets see if this makes his appetite better.

Blancaej he is amazing I love him. He is so cheerful and cute. Today he just lay in my chest and cuddle.
That is awesome! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Really nice pics! African Greys are not the most cuddly of parrots!!

Hopefully the nasal swab was enough for the vet to make a good diagnosis. I noticed Armando has a band around his right foot. Very common, but some folks have them removed so it does not accidentally get caught on a toy or part of the cage. Please check to make sure it is loose enough so that it won't be too tight as he ages. I realize you may need a band in Mexico to prove his breeding.

Glad he is doing better!

Most Reactions