No DNA test required! Sammi laid an egg!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
When did she lay it? There's a chance there will be another one, so please keep an eye on her and possible signs of egg binding.

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
What do we look for? And I actually am not sure, it had rolled under her cage, it was not smelly or rotten so it had not been long

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:confused: Pardon me, but how could the egg have rolled out of the cage without breaking??

How is your bird acting? I know you haven't had her all that long, but keep an eye out for 'nesting' behavior. Has she been to the vet since you took her in?

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
It cracked, but didn't break. Her cage is on carpet ;). I wish I knew how to post pics from mobile!! I'll try and post one on my profile. She has been to vet. Just for general look over.

Not sure if she is nearing or not? She's acting her normal self. Eating, popping good, mean once in awhile but sweet also.

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
I got the pic uploaded into my album. I may run her into vet Monday just to check since she did lay one. She loves the vet, he's a man, which she loves men! So it will be a treat for her anyways!

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
You probably won't need to take her to the vet if there aren't any complications. How long are her nights? Do you cover? What is her diet like? Her cage set up? She will probably lay more eggs so it is very important that you boost her nutrients especially calcium. Forming and laying eggs is really hard on little birdy bodies and can have a lot of complications to look out for but there are a lot of things you can do to prevent them like shortening their day and feeding lots of extra veggies (less fruit and no spinach).

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Some females may never lay eggs. Some may not lay their first egg until they are well into their teens or even early twenties!

How often? Well, she could lay 2-3 eggs, every 2-3 or so days.... or maybe it's the only egg? Maybe she'll lay another in a week or a months time? It's hard to say!

One thing is for sure though.... if there are triggers to egg laying, then there is a higher chance of egg laying to occur.

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
A lot of things: high-sugar fruits, a long daylight cycle, sometimes even just having nesting materials available (newspaper can be a culprit), and sometimes it can just be an annual thing no matter how hard you try to prevent it.

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
She sleeps on a blanket. Her previous owner said she has always slept on it. I'm thinking this may mimic a nest for her. But she enjoys sleeping on it! Haven't found anymore. I think she's still "nesting" though, bigger appetite, more naps. But she's doing great

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Some triggers to egg laying...

1. Diet (warm, mushy foods - high protein and calcium foods)
  2. Lighting
  3. Quality of light
  4. Inappropriate petting
  5. "Allowing" sexual behavior to occur (i.e. not discouraging it)
  6. "Nesting" material
  7. Nest like locations
  8. Nest like toys
  9. etc

Sounds like the blanket may be one of the contributing factors, at least... If she can perch just fine, then you may want to consider removing her "nest" once this is all over with.

Most Reactions