No improvement after vet Visit

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Since you have such a good vet, could you ask what he thinks about the "Aloe Detox" product that so many people say has cured their parrots of liver problems and the like? There's a ton of anecdotal stuff but I haven't found any peer-reviewed stuff. It's not toxic, seems like it couldn't hurt...

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I use Aloe Detox in Plums water. My AV sits on the fence with this one as no proof it works but will cause no harm either. I wanted to check it wouldnt conflict with meds before using. The main problem is getting enough into the bird to help. Plum tastes this in his water so have to use caution or he won't drink. If you can syringe some into your bird or they will take enough of it in something else then go for it after the professional OK is given.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Not trying to spook ya but this could be AVB/PDD flare up. Testing for this can be a waste of time as in no matter what test used it can give a false negative. Not eating, weight loss... a couple of the first signs. Ask for vets opinion... but IF they carry Celocib as an anti-inflammatory get a few doses in your bird. Meloxacam is not effective, and from my reading as well as experience can make the condition worse. There are other things as well can be going on with your bird... gram negative bacteria infection, crop fungus..etc.. all of which should be looked at. Meantime... celocib (Celebrex) wont hurt and should turn around inflammation causing the lack of appetite.... Fingers crossed for ya.

Info recently gained from AV: Just to point out that if there are Liver issues/damage anti-inflammatory meds unless exactly the correct one can cause more harm to this organ. The only definitive answer as to which one should be given is provided by a biopsy.

Hoping Sammy is back to normal very soon.[/QUOTE

I have to disagree. True.. both can effect the liver... but meloxicam has lil effect on ABV ..and fact is some studies indicate it makes matters WORSE. Of course proper dose is very important... as with any med.

Most Reactions

Latest posts