snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
So sprinkles is quickly feeling better. He is getting a bit more fresh and crazy. The vet told me what I have already heard "take the sleep hut out". He loves his hut but he is getting close to a year old. He is 8 months now.

Did you see any change in your bird after you took the hut out?

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
If you take the hut out he will get used to it, he might be a bit upset at first but I would suggest putting some kind of "snuggle" perch to replace it. Or you can put one of those hanging towel/cotton things. Is there any other kind of sleeping thing that is sold that is considered safer? Maybe like this one
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/c9/a3/3bc9a38598d069e26a8328d2b3eaf3f3.jpg
Or
http://www.justbirdtents.com/100_1350-1_op_640x706.jpg
Or even
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/11.../Categoryimages/normal/p-30697-44580-tent.jpg

Obviously safety is the number one issue, but conures do like their sleep hideouts. If you look at my picture in the POTM contest, youll be able to see I use a folded towel with small holes on the top from where it hangs. Loko has used this for over 3 years though and has never even bitten it, so if your bird is a chewer I wouldnt suggest this either, maybe some of the more rugged and less surrounding ones like the last picture I shared. I would imagine even just letting a towel hang down through the cage on either side of the perch would create a nice little sleep spot.

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
If you take the hut out he will get used to it, he might be a bit upset at first but I would suggest putting some kind of "snuggle" perch to replace it. Or you can put one of those hanging towel/cotton things. Is there any other kind of sleeping thing that is sold that is considered safer? Maybe like this one
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/c9/a3/3bc9a38598d069e26a8328d2b3eaf3f3.jpg
Or
Or even
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/11.../Categoryimages/normal/p-30697-44580-tent.jpg

Obviously safety is the number one issue, but conures do like their sleep hideouts. If you look at my picture in the POTM contest, youll be able to see I use a folded towel with small holes on the top from where it hangs. Loko has used this for over 3 years though and has never even bitten it, so if your bird is a chewer I wouldnt suggest this either, maybe some of the more rugged and less surrounding ones like the last picture I shared. I would imagine even just letting a towel hang down through the cage on either side of the perch would create a nice little sleep spot.

The Vets main reason to take out the hut was to help with hormons. She said since he is at that age it is best to take way his hut so he does not go into breeding or nest mode. Since Sprinkle has been feeling better he is getting a bit more I hate to say it but aggressive at times.

I pulled his hut last night and he was a bit cranky this morning. Or I should say he was extra fresh.

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
If its hormones then I would stay away from anything that allows him to be enclosed in a "nest". I think the cuddle towel toy would be fine, I cant find a picture but someone here has it because thats where I first saw it. Its this little layered "towel" with 3 little "flaps". You hang it from the side near the beginning of the perch where he can lean against and put his head up in the flap and still feel kind of snuggled without being in a nesty type structure. If he is that hormonal, I suppose he could try to rub himself on that too, but he wouldnt be enclosed which would probably reduce the likelihood of anything like that.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Petsmart sells a little hut with a perch for a bottom instead of a solid bottom. If you absolutely cannot bring yourself to remove the hut entirely, a roosting hut like that (no solid bottom) is best. Keep in mind though, any sort of cloth inside the cage is risky when it comes to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
If its hormones then I would stay away from anything that allows him to be enclosed in a "nest". I think the cuddle towel toy would be fine, I cant find a picture but someone here has it because thats where I first saw it. Its this little layered "towel" with 3 little "flaps". You hang it from the side near the beginning of the perch where he can lean against and put his head up in the flap and still feel kind of snuggled without being in a nesty type structure. If he is that hormonal, I suppose he could try to rub himself on that too, but he wouldnt be enclosed which would probably reduce the likelihood of anything like that.

When Sprinkles was 5 months old he got a little hormonal. It was like a little intro to his teenage years. Sprinkles is now 8 months old and is starting to go threw something. I think I also need to set up a sleep cage and a play/day cage. That was recommend by my Avian vet she is a crazy bird lady. So I might have to try that too.

The biggest change in him is he has become much more territorial over many things.

I have seen the little snuggle things that go on the side of the cage that could be an option.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would invite other opinions, but a conure getting hormonal at such an early age? 5 months? 8 months? I know they are smaller then 'zons,Greys and macs, hence shorter lived and hit age markers earlier, but that seems like it's too early to dismiss such temperament to hormones. Conures are very territorial period, if allowed to be so. I think that you should be looking for ways to dissipate that territoriality, otherwise when he really does hit puberty, you will be miserable and have that much bigger job to do with little Sprinkles. Thats my opinion. Glad he is feeling much better!

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
I would invite other opinions, but a conure getting hormonal at such an early age? 5 months? 8 months? I know they are smaller then 'zons,Greys and macs, hence shorter lived and hit age markers earlier, but that seems like it's too early to dismiss such temperament to hormones. Conures are very territorial period, if allowed to be so. I think that you should be looking for ways to dissipate that territoriality, otherwise when he really does hit puberty, you will be miserable and have that much bigger job to do with little Sprinkles. Thats my opinion. Glad he is feeling much better!

He lets me do whatever I want to his cage. Other people not so much mainly my 7 year old daughter. I told my daughter if she wants to be part of sprinkles flock she has to work with him. I need to do more training with both Sprinkles and Zoe together. When we do the training things go well. It is just my daughter would rather play than train. Him and Zoe have a weird relationship. He wants to be with her but they both do not trust each other. I am working with both of them on this. Zoe is never allowed to be around Sprinkles unless I am there with them. .

When he was 5 months he started doing a humping action and I thought he was too young to do that then. Now he is 8 months old and has his moments of teenage rage. Only moments that quickly pass. I know I fear that when he really hit puberty it will be hell so that is why I am doing everything I can to help the transition into adulthood. Or maybe he is gradually maturing and it will not be so bad. I don't know.

It really comes down to the fact, He is good with me and my husband. It is Zoe and him that have the issues sadly. I really need to work on training my Daughter better. Just like how I had to train her to be around dogs. If you have kids with pets you need to train your kids. I have a feeling when Zoe is a teenager Sprinkles will love her. They both have trust issues with each other.

SO you do not think the sleep hut is a big problem for hormonal birds.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Me? My vote is no sleep huts, unless you are looking to breed the bird(s). Read too many cases of them chewing on the cloth and having wads and wads of inert material in their GI tract.

Can Zoey give Sprinkles a treat with out the bird biting? The way to a parrots heart is food! And scratches, but food first! If she can, I'd reserve one special treat that only Zoey can give Sprinkles.

saracuse

Mar 21, 2016
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Day 12/11/15 - "Tiki"
Or
Or even

Any idea where i can find the tent in the last image?! I've been looking everywhere for one.

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Me? My vote is no sleep huts, unless you are looking to breed the bird(s). Read too many cases of them chewing on the cloth and having wads and wads of inert material in their GI tract.

Can Zoey give Sprinkles a treat with out the bird biting? The way to a parrots heart is food! And scratches, but food first! If she can, I'd reserve one special treat that only Zoey can give Sprinkles.

Yes she can give Sprinkles treats. That's a good Idea only Zoe gives him the best treats.

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Yeah I like the idea of a perch with a little roof. I will make him one.

Most Reactions