Noodles and the vet

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It probably is nothing other than natures drive to reproduce.

After this is over you can reduce calories . Keep her out if prime breeding condition..

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
true...*if* it's an egg....Shes on the thinner side, as it is...So I worry about her getting enough to maintain weight if I cut down her access (because she's already picky).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good grief, not again! Dearly hope noodles is not about to lay again. Most importantly, that she is OK and will return to normal.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I am holding off on taking her again thus far.. I think I will have to decide by tomorrow though. She's just off-- still eating and dancing etc, but I swear...this is very similar to last time....

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I was very worried last night- texted boss etc...Woke up to another dang egg!!! *called it *

I knew she was going to have to go in today if it hadn't resolved (based on decreased appetite and dropping with little fecal matter last night). Now that it's passed, she's eating normally. I think I realized something though---she's been getting a lot more bright sun because the leaves have fallen off the trees, so I think that could be related. I'm also fairly sure it has something to do with me leaving after spending a lot of time home as well. I didn't think it would happen again, as the first time seemed so random after not having happened in the many years she could have laid eggs prior.

Anyway, yay for not having to call in....yay for things happening naturally...boo to the idea of this becoming a possible habit...

Ps- egg was very big again lol

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Whew! So glad to hear she's passed that egg. Noodles, please stop worrying your Mama with those things!

I guess sometimes, despite best efforts, love is in the air. :)

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Whew! So glad to hear she's passed that egg. Noodles, please stop worrying your Mama with those things!

I guess sometimes, despite best efforts, love is in the air. :)

I know...ugh...I try so hard, but apparently my "charms" are far too alluring...HAHAHAHA ;) (jk)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So glad the egg passed normally!!! Yiu are very in tune with her. Great job.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Yay noodles, you've proved your point! Time to cease egg production for a while!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The truth will out !

Hopefully things will return to normal for Noodles.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
From the mother of one little egg-laying minx to another, oh thank goodness for that! Very glad she passed it au naturel. Interesting that she doesn't seem to show any interest in it once laid, which I think in Noodles' case is a very good thing!

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
she sort of hovered over it today for a minute in a nesty way this morning, but she doesn't seem to get it. worried she's going to treat it like a toy if I leave it (which I am doing until I am sure she is over it, only, I DID swap it for dummy egg before she could memorize hers too well w/ the lights on lol). She notices it and looks at it for sure, but leaves it on the floor while she perches above so far (excluding times when she goes down and rolls it)...tomorrow will be a better judge though b/c ive been gone most of the day.

This egg seems a bit longer than her last. I wish I knew if hers are abnormally large.

I bought the dummy eggs off Amazon after she laid her first earlier in the year, and the fake is very convincing, but it is smaller than her original...Just hoping she didn't notice...It listed cockatoos on the description but now I'm thinking that I should have sized up.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Yeah that's a tough call, to take or leave it. There is no option with Lilly, she sits on that egg straight away and pretty much has another one already forming as soon as she's laid the first. It has to be a relief however to know that Noodles is capable of passing them without medical intervention, but it would've been nice if it had dropped from a great height and broken, then the decision would've been made for you!

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Yeah that's a tough call, to take or leave it. There is no option with Lilly, she sits on that egg straight away and pretty much has another one already forming as soon as she's laid the first. It has to be a relief however to know that Noodles is capable of passing them without medical intervention, but it would've been nice if it had dropped from a great height and broken, then the decision would've been made for you!

lol- yeah, but w/my luck, probably would have just cracked. I swear, she had to have been forming this last Friday when I was convinced she had one in her and was up 2 freaking oz...They looked and didn't see the egg, but does the shell take longer to form than the rest of it? My vet says when an egg is created it usually should pass within 48 hours of forming, but I think there must be changes internally before the egg "forms" fully, as I KNEW this was happening 1 week ago...if not for the weight gain of 2 oz and her behavioral/physical signs (just like last time) one could argue that the egg formed after the vet and that she was just gearing up, but I think the process had started and they just couldn't see it for some reason..I mean, last Friday (and early last week) she was showing signs of behavior changes and she was acting like she was straining a bit to poop BEFORE I took her in. That was intermittent and by yesterday, her poop had no solid contents after 12pm, but that was 6 days after she first started acting like she had an egg issue---now she's back to pooping normally w/ the egg out.

How do you guys think this all panned out in terms of time and egg formation?

It's confusing though because that was 7 days ago and if an egg generally passes within 48 hours of formation (barring any issues) then she should have had the egg sooner than today..unless she held it in longer, or unless the weight gain is a coincidence...just don't see how it could be though...

Thoughts on how the time-frame of all of this may have worked?

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I don't know too much about the process, but as far as I'm aware it does take around 48 hours and the shell is the last thing to form. Certainly the behavioural signs precede anything else and you are very well attuned to that. Maybe since Noodles could not pass the first one without intervention she may have had a little difficulty passing this one which might account for the delay, but hopefully now that she's done it naturally once any subsequent ones might be easier? Like you, Lilly's bouts of egg-laying always coincided with me having time off work so now that I'm "between jobs" ( ;) ) I have to be constantly vigilant with her and head off any suspect behaviour the moment it starts - hopefully you will find Noodles is a little easier to manage once you start back at work!

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I've been back at work-- it's just weird because both times it happened after I went back after having been home (Xmas break was followed by a week of teaching from home) but since Jan 11th, I've been working in-person (and prior to the break, we were in-person as well). It's almost like seeing me after work is so exciting (because I am gone all day and prior to that, we had many days together)...It's not that she is plucking or anxious...I feel like it's a weird bonding response to my presence after a short absence (work) following a lot of time together. I mean, she's nearly 14 and the 1st egg happened about 1-2 weeks after school started in the fall and I had to go back, and now this right after xmas. It's just funny because they aren't forming due to our time together-- it seems more like a reaction to my return after a short absence FOLLOWING a lot of time together...I have no idea if that made any sense lol.

That 2 oz weight gain was there 7 days ago and I think it's related, but that is a long gap between weight gain and laying itself.

Her first egg happened months ago, so I don't think this is related to that (other than possibly hormonally- what I mean to say, is that this is not from the same clutch.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
dummy egg (left), real egg(right)--- I accidentally cracked the real one after swapping it out for the dummy, but it was intact prior to this picture lol! The dummy egg came from amazon and it's a great weight etc, but I should have sized-up...

HERE are the dimensions of the fake egg...Does her egg seem large? I feel like it is....I thought that about her last one too. Here is a link to the fake I bought: https://www.amazon.com/DummyEggs-Af...s&sr=1-1-38d0a374-3318-4625-ad92-b6761a63ecf6

The dummy egg is 1.5" x 1-1/16"

I have long fingers, so my ugly, neon red thumb is a nice perspective for size.

noodles123-albums-pin-feathers-picture23103-dummy-egg-left-real-egg-right-i-accidentally-cracked-real-one-after-swapping-out-dummy-but-intact-prior-picture-lol-dummy-egg-came-amazon-s-great-weight-etc-but-i-should-have-sized-up.jpg

There's quite a difference but, like I said, she only saw it in the light for about a minute before I swapped it (she didn't see me)...Hoping she didn't pay enough attention to notice, but then again, she is Noodles, so she probably had the exact measurements memorized written down somewhere lol--ugggghhh...

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thankfully, I have no experience with parrot eggs. Baxter is reported to have laid a singular egg in her year at the refuge, but none since she's been with me. We do have those chickens though, who pretty consistently lay every single day. No idea how production time compares with parrots, but yes, the shell is the last part of the process. There's actually a shell gland where that part happens after the egg is produced. Sometimes, especially with the new/young ones, they can lay an egg with no shell at all. We've had a few of those. Freaked me out the first time I found one like that!

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Thankfully, I have no experience with parrot eggs. Baxter is reported to have laid a singular egg in her year at the refuge, but none since she's been with me. We do have those chickens though, who pretty consistently lay every single day. No idea how production time compares with parrots, but yes, the shell is the last part of the process. There's actually a shell gland where that part happens after the egg is produced. Sometimes, especially with the new/young ones, they can lay an egg with no shell at all. We've had a few of those. Freaked me out the first time I found one like that!

I thought so, but I wasn't sure. That's crazy that they sometimes lay shell-less eggs! If that gets punctured on the way out, I could see it causing all sorts of issues. I wonder if that is dangerous or typical in young chickens.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Eggs are different shapes naturally. I only had egg laying once 4 eggs 24- 48 hours between each one.

Hopefully this goes smoothly!"

Most Reactions

Latest posts