Noodles and the vet

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just a way-out-there-guess regarding the weight gain. The weight gain 'maybe' the gathering of pre-egg chemistry stores prior to the onset of the actual forming process?

Just my random ramblings...

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Yeah that's a tough call, to take or leave it. There is no option with Lilly, she sits on that egg straight away and pretty much has another one already forming as soon as she's laid the first. It has to be a relief however to know that Noodles is capable of passing them without medical intervention, but it would've been nice if it had dropped from a great height and broken, then the decision would've been made for you!

lol- yeah, but w/my luck, probably would have just cracked. I swear, she had to have been forming this last Friday when I was convinced she had one in her and was up 2 freaking oz...They looked and didn't see the egg, but does the shell take longer to form than the rest of it? My vet says when an egg is created it usually should pass within 48 hours of forming, but I think there must be changes internally before the egg "forms" fully, as I KNEW this was happening 1 week ago...if not for the weight gain of 2 oz and her behavioral/physical signs (just like last time) one could argue that the egg formed after the vet and that she was just gearing up, but I think the process had started and they just couldn't see it for some reason..I mean, last Friday (and early last week) she was showing signs of behavior changes and she was acting like she was straining a bit to poop BEFORE I took her in. That was intermittent and by yesterday, her poop had no solid contents after 12pm, but that was 6 days after she first started acting like she had an egg issue---now she's back to pooping normally w/ the egg out.

How do you guys think this all panned out in terms of time and egg formation?

It's confusing though because that was 7 days ago and if an egg generally passes within 48 hours of formation (barring any issues) then she should have had the egg sooner than today..unless she held it in longer, or unless the weight gain is a coincidence...just don't see how it could be though...

Thoughts on how the time-frame of all of this may have worked?

So to make an egg there are all sorts of hormonal things that have to happen. Some hormones cause a body to "get ready" to make that egg, some cause a body to gain weight (in this case, to get all the nutrients together to put inside the egg), which pretty much have to get IN there before the egg solidifies enough for an x-ray to see it (since there is no hatch to open to put them in after), and then some other hormones to trigger the egg to move.

Makes perfect sense to me that (1) after the shots last time, hopefully her body kinda "learned" how to move that thing along, and also (2) you would see all the behavior changes and weight gain, etc -- and even a bulge -- while the body is getting the egg Ready, BEFore an actual egg has actually formed.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yeah that's a tough call, to take or leave it. There is no option with Lilly, she sits on that egg straight away and pretty much has another one already forming as soon as she's laid the first. It has to be a relief however to know that Noodles is capable of passing them without medical intervention, but it would've been nice if it had dropped from a great height and broken, then the decision would've been made for you!

lol- yeah, but w/my luck, probably would have just cracked. I swear, she had to have been forming this last Friday when I was convinced she had one in her and was up 2 freaking oz...They looked and didn't see the egg, but does the shell take longer to form than the rest of it? My vet says when an egg is created it usually should pass within 48 hours of forming, but I think there must be changes internally before the egg "forms" fully, as I KNEW this was happening 1 week ago...if not for the weight gain of 2 oz and her behavioral/physical signs (just like last time) one could argue that the egg formed after the vet and that she was just gearing up, but I think the process had started and they just couldn't see it for some reason..I mean, last Friday (and early last week) she was showing signs of behavior changes and she was acting like she was straining a bit to poop BEFORE I took her in. That was intermittent and by yesterday, her poop had no solid contents after 12pm, but that was 6 days after she first started acting like she had an egg issue---now she's back to pooping normally w/ the egg out.

How do you guys think this all panned out in terms of time and egg formation?

It's confusing though because that was 7 days ago and if an egg generally passes within 48 hours of formation (barring any issues) then she should have had the egg sooner than today..unless she held it in longer, or unless the weight gain is a coincidence...just don't see how it could be though...

Thoughts on how the time-frame of all of this may have worked?

So to make an egg there are all sorts of hormonal things that have to happen. Some hormones cause a body to "get ready" to make that egg, some cause a body to gain weight (in this case, to get all the nutrients together to put inside the egg), which pretty much have to get IN there before the egg solidifies enough for an x-ray to see it (since there is no hatch to open to put them in after), and then some other hormones to trigger the egg to move.

Makes perfect sense to me that (1) after the shots last time, hopefully her body kinda "learned" how to move that thing along, and also (2) you would see all the behavior changes and weight gain, etc -- and even a bulge -- while the body is getting the egg Ready, BEFore an actual egg has actually formed.

The thing is, she was showing all of these weird physical symptoms related to pooping and dropping size a week before it happened, but I was positive it was an egg. I just think it was already forming when I took her in...why else would she be straining to poop etc? I'm not saying it was severe straining early on, but I noticed it..The timing seems wrong, based on 48 hours, but 2 oz is a lot for it not to have been the egg...and she FEELS so much lighter this morning (I know 2 oz isn't a lot, but I do notice how she feels on my hand whenever I pick her up, so I'm pretty accurate at guessing loss/gain before I even weigh her--just not in ounces lol).

I was pretty confident about the fact that it was an egg even after the xray didn't show one, so I followed her lead until yesterday when from 12p.m-5pm she had no solids in her poop and avoided all food except junky treats that I offered to see if she would eat. I know what I am describing sounds like a sick bird, but if someone didn't know her, they would not know she was being super weird.

It's interesting...I don't know...The first time she went in for an egg was earlier this year and they said it was high up because they doubted me some initially when I asked for xrays (they didn't say no or anything, but they weren't as concerned as I was, again, because she plays things off and because in a lot of birds, you can feel the egg or a bulge-- not so much with her).

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Just a way-out-there-guess regarding the weight gain. The weight gain 'maybe' the gathering of pre-egg chemistry stores prior to the onset of the actual forming process?

Just my random ramblings...

I think there is something to Mr Boats' "random ramblings" here, a hen's body would certainly go through many changes related to egg laying, on top of the physical presence of the egg itself, which may explain the extra weight gain and subsequent loss.

When my Lilly was laying last year I hunted high and low for a good quality fake egg with no success, due mainly to her size, or lack thereof! Eventually I stumbled upon an almost perfectly egg shaped and size chunk of white quartz which fooled her as to it's genuineness when nothing else could - but thankfully I haven't had to use it since last December :) While hunting though I did come across this outfit in Florida who seem to manufacture a pretty good quality fake egg....

DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.

They seem to recommend the largest size for an umbrella cockatoo, same as for a hyacinth macaw. Noodles egg certainly does appear to be on the larger side so maybe these guys' products might be worth considering?

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
yeah- thanks, that is where I bought mine (albeit, shipped via Amazon) and I should have gotten the largest I guess.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ooops, sorry about that, Noodles. Might've known you'd be all over it! :D

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Ooops, sorry about that, Noodles. Might've known you'd be all over it! :D

You helped me with that link a lot, because now I see that there they have "cockatoo" and "umbrella cockatoo" in separate size classes. I do think the largest egg would have been better for her.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
At the moment, she seems to be scared of my scale *gulp*.
But she FEELS lighter.

Her chest/muscle tone etc feels fine too.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Like is she still high and possible another egg in the making?

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I'm going to guess that this was the only one, based on behavior and feel so far--time will tell, but her hormonal shaking is down A TON since laying it. I can look at her and she acts normal now.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
She is so sexual!! Even tho you take all precautions!!

She's very fond of me, and I think that is part of the issue, but also, during remote learning, I let her play with this rectangular object that had a slight recess and I think that it was too box like (even though it was super shallow). I mean, again, in 14 years, 2 times in one year??! I took away the toy the 1st time this happened but I feel like it pulled the trigger. I also think the windows are sunnier than in the summer (due to lack of leaves on trees) and I have spent longer stints at home, which makes me returning from my departure when I do have to leave, even more exciting?

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hi Noodles, just letting you know that I have read your thread and that I am hoping that Noodles does not have any more eggs in her or anywhere!

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Archie goes in Tuesday for his annual. Fortunately, no wait for the appointment.

He’s still steady at 468 grams. Curious to see how my scale matches up with the vet’s.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Look at this crazy picture of Noodles with her dummy egg-- 1. She has been overpreening her chest during the last week or so (due to being "with egg"), AND she is just wrapping up a moult (hence the ratty feathers). She's also in her tinier cage (where she sleeps).

Doesn't this remind you of a teen at a college party or something? Like "OHHH!!! I'm holding a cup of alcohol!!" only, in her case..it's a dang egg....granted, a fake one. Her real one was a lot larger lol! Just reminds me of a drunk person who is super excited.
noodles123-albums-pin-feathers-picture23110-egg-champagne-3.jpg

Mother of the year.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Look at this crazy picture of Noodles with her dummy egg-- 1. She has been overpreening her chest during the last week or so (due to being "with egg"), AND she is just wrapping up a moult (hence the ratty feathers). She's also in her tinier cage (where she sleeps).

Doesn't this remind you of a teen at a college party or something? Like "OHHH!!! I'm holding a cup of alcohol!!" only, in her case..it's a dang egg....granted, a fake one. Her real one was a lot larger lol! Just reminds me of a drunk person who is super excited.

Mother of the year.
Lol too funny
Might be tge perfect POM photo one if these months

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Here's another one of her shining moments as a "mother" on her sleep cage (LOLLLL)!!! Again, this is her dummy egg-- real one was way too big for her to pick up like that lol- but I'm pretty sure she didn't notice that I changed it, as she only saw the real deal for like 1 minute in daylight.
[ame="https://youtu.be/JrN4aD01K_g"]mother of the year part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).

Mother of the year.

Well I am so very glad you were not hoping for babie(s) burds! "Hmm I wonder what I can do next with this neato toy I made?"

Most Reactions

Latest posts