Not again. I'm super stressed.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You've made the best choice for your kid and feathered kid! I hope both get well soon!

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
And Leo stopped eating this morning. He's staying another night for tube feeding and 24/7 nursing care. We will touch base in the morning.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Oh dear, I wish him luck and a speedy recovery. Sometimes during recovery things seem to get worse before they get better. I'm sure Leo will pull through, how could he not with such a wonderful parront waiting and worrying for him?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thanks for the update, Beatrice. Hope tomorrow brings recovery and a better appetite. And your kid?

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Scott, my son is doing okay. Seasonal allergies combined with powerful narcotics for pain control (bone disease, shoulder issue, awaiting surgery) depressed his respiratory system causing difficulty. Non drowsy antihistamines and steroids were prescribed and he's doing better today. We are pulling him out of school and putting him on hospital/home bound until after surgery currently scheduled for April 12.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Leo still isn't really eating. They're probably going to keep him over the weekend to keep tube feeding him. We will make the final decision at close of business hours today.

Unfortunately, I have to go out of town. My oldest son has a bowling tournament in L.A., and he's always the one saying "don't worry about me, take care of my brothers, the birds, etc.", and he really needs some mom time. I'm going to leave MrC in charge here, with the birds and with my youngest son. Leaving Leo in the hospital is probably best, rather than sending him home on baby bird formula, which was another option we discussed. That just leaves MrC a little less to do as the only adult in the house.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, man.
Well, y'all GO, TEAM LEO... and TEAM KID... all of you.

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to your oldest son with his tournament.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Scott, my son is doing okay. Seasonal allergies combined with powerful narcotics for pain control (bone disease, shoulder issue, awaiting surgery) depressed his respiratory system causing difficulty. Non drowsy antihistamines and steroids were prescribed and he's doing better today. We are pulling him out of school and putting him on hospital/home bound until after surgery currently scheduled for April 12.

Leo still isn't really eating. They're probably going to keep him over the weekend to keep tube feeding him. We will make the final decision at close of business hours today.

Unfortunately, I have to go out of town. My oldest son has a bowling tournament in L.A., and he's always the one saying "don't worry about me, take care of my brothers, the birds, etc.", and he really needs some mom time. I'm going to leave MrC in charge here, with the birds and with my youngest son. Leaving Leo in the hospital is probably best, rather than sending him home on baby bird formula, which was another option we discussed. That just leaves MrC a little less to do as the only adult in the house.

You are a Super Mom! Hope your son awaiting surgery is comfortable and has a great outcome. Looking forward to Leo's appetite and general health improving by Monday.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots

You are a Super Mom! Hope your son awaiting surgery is comfortable and has a great outcome. Looking forward to Leo's appetite and general health improving by Monday.

Thanks. But not really Super Mom. Times like this though, it's a good thing that Middle Kid lives with their dad, so I know he's well taken care of an I don't have to stress about him. (MrC is not the kids' father. He has two of his own daughters, but my kids' father is my ex-husband).

Dr. J called back after I posted last. He's kinda stumped. He's going to change the antibiotic Leo is on and look into some other things, and hopefully figure out why he's not recovering as expected.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
No change this morning. No better, bit at least no worse.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanks for letting us know. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Oh how awful, the whole way around...Deep breaths and positive energy.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
He's doing a little better today. The vet said he's eating more than he has been, though not enough to sustain himself, so he's going to come home on baby bird formula to make sure he's getting enough calories in spite of not eating. We will go pick him up in an hour or so.

Most Reactions