Not again. I'm super stressed.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Oh gosh I'm so glad he's doing better, good luck and I wish him a speedy recovery.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
A relief to hear of an improvement; you must be so exhausted between your sick fid and sick kid. We are all pulling for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aidualc

Oct 15, 2016
Kent, UK
Parrots
Nemo- CAG, Sebastian- Sun Conure, Rio- Senegal, Pepper- Senegal
Just the thought of what you're going through gives me the chill! Come on little Leo.. you can do it!!!!

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
He's home and in his little hospital set up. I've given him a several bowls of all kinds of fruits, veggies, and dry stuff. He went straight for the green beans, which are his favorites. He looks sooooooooo much better. I'm supposed to give him formula in the morning as insurance, and if he eats during the day it's good, and if he doesn't, then give him formula at night. Dr. J. wants me to call daily for the next couple of days to keep him updated.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Don't be afraid to offer seeds as well; all those calories that usually work against a bird are exactly the sort of thing that could give him the boost he needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
There are seeds and nuts in the dry foods bowl that's just out of the picture. He's got a little of everything there. He's even got forbidden treats like goldfish and peanut butter cookies.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
GO TEAM LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He looks GOOD!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Goldfish?? The crackers, I hope. Good to hear Leo is home and doing better.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goldfish?? The crackers, I hope. Good to hear Leo is home and doing better.

*throws rotten tomatoes at wrench*

Yes the crackers, silly!

He's nibbling here and there on pretty much everything. It' still not enough to sustain himself, but it's probably about half of the calories he needs, which is far better than nothing. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Heavens! I'm really sorry to read that you've been having such a tough time of it lately. Statistically, after so many negatives you've got to be due some positives soon!

Leo is lucky to have you as his mom :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So happy Leo is home and recuperating. His hospital set-up is first class, kudos to the chef! I see Leo is studying the sports section, my least favorite part of the paper! Interior pages tend to be b&W so less staining from the ink!

Any diagnosis at this point??

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
There's no real solid diagnosis. That's one of the things Dr. J. is so very frustrated about. He clearly has an infection of some sort, but he's been unable to figure out exactly where. It's not respiratory, it's not digestive, he doesn't appear to have any skin or bone issues. It's just weird. He's on Baytril injections twice a day now, and that one seems to be making a difference where the first antibiotic really did nothing.

He's nibbling a little bit more energetically this morning than he did yesterday, though still not nearly enough to sustain himself, so he's still getting formula. We added a heat lamp to his little set up and that's made a huge difference in his comfort. He's not nearly as poofed up with the heat lamp warming up his little area. He's definitely showing small signs of recovery, so I'm happy.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Despite huge strides in avian medicine and extraordinary practitioners such as Dr. J, there is still so much to be discovered. At least you are seeing progress, and it may take a variety of antibiotics before achieving success against the microbe world.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well he looks pretty good, his feathers look good and the extra heat is a very good idea. Sometimes it takes them an extremely long time to feel good, the only creatures I know of that take longer to fully recover are reptiles. My bearded dragon got a respiratory infection last year and it took him 4 months after finishing the antibiotics for him to eat the same amount as he did prior to getting sick. My certified herp vet told me that reptiles are the slowest animals to recover from illness, followed by birds. So there ya go.

The extra heat and the high calorie baby formula are both great ideas and hopefully the more food and nourishment he takes in, the more he'll want. Remember he's been very sedentary recently compared to how he usually is, so that in itself will slow down his eating, and when combined with the infection making him feel crappy has his appetite down.

Slow progress is still progress.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
We lost a lovely Amazon to a persistent infection, so I got to learn more about the subject than I would have preferred. At one time, the vet explained that his infection was located in the sinus areas near the brain, and was dissolving the bone, and that when the infection reached the brain that would be the end. And it was, the end came quickly when it came. But the vet told me he had been treating another parrot for the same infection, except that infection was localized at one of the wings, and didn't travel around. Periodic treatment of some kind kept it at bay. As I understood it, parrots have such a complex internal arrangement of hollow bones and air sacs, and fluids don't necessarily circulate through the tissues as thoroughly as in humans. So maybe that other bird's infection was located inside a wing bone? He said the antibiotics to root such a hidden infection out were riskier than managing it where it was.

One thing that did help our little guy was regular nebulizer treatments. We had a human nebulizer and a plexiglass box that fit over the perch. Set birdie in there and nebulizer some medicine, various things at various times. They breathe the medicine in deeply that way and it has a chance to circulate through some of those interior spaces, maybe. I hope your guy is on the mend and the baytril will knock the infection out for good. He sure does look at home there with that mountain of food!

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
He sure does look at home there with that mountain of food!

Well, I wanted to make sure that no matter what he felt like eating, there was something suitable available! MrC made fun of me for quite a bit over the food mountain. But I'd rather throw away food and make sure he's got plenty available than have him not eat because whatever might be appealing wasn't there.

And that's a good point about hollow bones and infections, and fluids. I'm sorry about your amazon. I never knew that's how he died. Poor little green guy. :(

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
I'm just gonna hang out up here and clean my beak in your hair. Serves you right for that yucky formula stuff.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
No real change this morning. It would be nice if he showed more signs of recovery, but at least he's not getting worse. Also, recovery has been slow this whole time, so I wasn't expecting anything dramatic. I suppose he is a little bit more alert than he was yesterday. He's making some noise, but not a lot. My house is *really* quiet these days. I think we know who the instigator is now! He's perching on his bowls pretty much all the time now, instead of standing on the floor of his bin most of the time and only perching for a little bit. Little bit by little bit, I suppose.

Most Reactions

Latest posts