Not sure if I've shown pics of my rescue or not :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Hey, some of you may(?) know that I rescued a cockatoo last summer, he was an aviary bird/kept outside on a chain, nasty people wanted to buy him, but I bought him and the most reasonable cage I could with my money (was an unemployed 18 y/o college student!).

He was TERRIFIED of men, except my boyfriend who he took a real shine too. and he calmed down and began to trust me enough to let me approach his TINY travel cage that he was being kept in (couldnt even stretch his wings :()

Anyway, I rescued him with the sole intent of finding him a perfect forever home, and I did about a month and a half after I got him.

Here's some pictures of him home with me, and then with the guy I rehomed him to. :)

He's a ducorps/solomon island cockatoo :)

Apparently can only do 5 at a time, more incoming!

Last edited:
OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
He was the sweetest, and certainly loved his new home, he perked up immediately, began whistling and playing. Last I heard about him was that he was picking up how to say 'hello'.

Would have loved to have kept him, but it just wasn't right for him. He was staying in a terraced house with three cats and in a cage that wasn't really appropriate. But we got him out of that hellhole, and he got to fly and chatter (squark ^^) and enjoy yummy foods and play and just become more trusting. He stopped hissing at us when we approached his cage, he just got so much better in the time we spent with him. &He's gone to the perfect guy for him. :)

That kitten in the picture never used to go to that spot, but after we got 'Mister', she used to always lie there, plotting her next scheme to get up and see him. "He'll have your nose Lucky!".

Would probably get a ducorps if I had the option again :)

Last edited:

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Thank you so much for helping this poor fellow out! I love to hear these kind of stories. So many people "rescue" birds, when actually they are just buying birds cheaply for themselves. And in all fairness, getting the bird out of a bad situation. But, your selfless act is a true rescue. His world, and indeed, the world, is a better place because of it.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Thank you so much for helping this poor fellow out! I love to hear these kind of stories. So many people "rescue" birds, when actually they are just buying birds cheaply for themselves. And in all fairness, getting the bird out of a bad situation. But, your selfless act is a true rescue. His world, and indeed, the world, is a better place because of it.

Thankyou :) My boyfriends mother wanted to give me the money that I had paid for him so she could keep him, but the money was never an issue, (&like I said before, that house just wasnt fair, time restrictions on him being out and the cats being barred from their own livingroom etc) I'd have spent more to sort him out &I certainly didn't make any profit out of it. I cried when I was travelling with him, and when I was leaving his new house. But that guy had had a macaw (passed away 2 years before), didn't work anymore and was part of the parrotline society. I saw pictures of him and his Paco and it was just pure love between them, I knew he was right for my Mister.

&when they met, Mister perked up so much and so did the man. Just knew they'd get along. Wish I could do this stuff every day. :D

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
I used to do a lot more of that sort of thing. But, we live in a much smaller house, and so many other things are different now. I still take in a bird now & then, but, cannot do as I used to. It is such a rewarding feeling to help a poor bird, and a new owner. Bless you.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
My personal favourite picture is the one with the nut in his mouth. He looks so cocky and cheeky! :D

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
What a wonderful thing to do, it's so good to hear he is doing so well :D

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
What a lovely bird and a lovely ending! I do have one question though, when you say he was kept outside on a chain, do you mean in a chain link kennel or was he actually tied to a chain somehow? I've never heard of anyone chaining a parrot, not sure how you'd even do that exactly, sounds horrible though, he was so lucky you came to his rescue! :)

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
I don't know if this is what you mean, but, years age, people would close an "S" hook in a figure 8 around a parrots leg. One part around the leg, the other was a ring to clip on a leash. As long as there was room to grow, it was fine. Similar idea to todays harnesses. I rescued 2 birds that came "ringed", as it was called. A mynah, and a quaker. They were fine, and lived very well with it for a long time. Yes, sometimes there were accidents and problems. But, those were the fault of unobservant and careless owners. It didn't hurt the bird. And let you take it outside, or with you wherever you went. Maybe some of the older folks here remember this. It is not usually done today, and I haven't seen it in a long time.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I don't know if this is what you mean, but, years age, people would close an "S" hook in a figure 8 around a parrots leg. One part around the leg, the other was a ring to clip on a leash. As long as there was room to grow, it was fine. Similar idea to todays harnesses. I rescued 2 birds that came "ringed", as it was called. A mynah, and a quaker. They were fine, and lived very well with it for a long time. Yes, sometimes there were accidents and problems. But, those were the fault of unobservant and careless owners. It didn't hurt the bird. And let you take it outside, or with you wherever you went. Maybe some of the older folks here remember this. It is not usually done today, and I haven't seen it in a long time.

I never knew that, although I have never liked the idea of tying anything to a birds leg as a means of restraint. I've seen people fly hawks and crows with a line attached to their leg and everytime it just makes me cringe a bit. I can't help but think what would happen if the bird got scared and took off, it seems like it could easily break or dislocate it's leg. :(

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Thank you for rescuing Mister! He looks very happy now.

I wonder if I could get a foot chain thing for Puck. He won't let me put a harness on him, and I'd love to let his wings grow out so he can fly. He loves going outside and going out with me though, so I don't think it'd be safe to let his wings grow out without some form of usable restraint though.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I'm so glad you've helped him. :) Thank goodness!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Icy...Yes, there was always the possiblity of leg injury with restraining them that way. But, a careful owner would only use the leash when going somewhere. It was not advisable to use that as a means of continual restraint. Though, some people did. It was often used with the large ring stands that were used back then. A parrot would spend his days tethered (chained) to a large ring with a perch across it. And be taken off when played with. Back then we did not know as much about their mentality, and enrichment, etc. was not a concern. Those of us who kept birds, found out about their intelligence, etc. by owning them. Most were wild caught, and not as socialized as hand fed birds. There were few books, no internet, no bird clubs, no avian vets. We got most our information from pet shops, and by living with our birds. As I said, 2 birds came to me ringed, and they lived a long time with no problems. I was "that crazy guy with all those birds". At a time when birds were an eccentric sort of pet.

Most Reactions