Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I have been a three macaw owner now for 12 years. A large part of my macaw's diet is nuts in the shell which are usually found only around Christmas time. I used to buy mixed nuts from Diamond at Sam's Club, (like 20- 4lb bags) and store them all year in the birdroom refrigerator. Two years ago Sam's Club here stopped carrying nuts in the shell and I was in a panic to find them. Wal-Mart had a bulk nut display for $4.98 a pound that people would pick all the brazils and walnuts out of. After New Year's I approached the store manager to buy the picked over nut display largely containing almonds (which they REALLY like) and get for $2. a pound. This year the display started earlier and was at $3.98 a pound. Yesterday I walked by the display and it looked like the price sign someone had stolen the 3. Could it be for real they were selling the remainder of the nuts for $.98????? I bagged about 5 lbs and checked out at the register. The price comes up at $.98 a pound!!! I could hardly contain myself as I raced putting the groceries in the car to go back into the store and raid every last living nut out of the display. People were staring intently at me as I bagged thirteen bags for a total of 59.14 lbs and gleefully brought home at easily the best price for largely almonds I have ever had. Online I have looked for in-shell nuts and found none lower than $3.28lb; most also requiring shipping charges. I can get pecans and peanuts here grown fairly locally, but not almonds. I urge all of you to check out your local Wal-Mart and see if they dropped the price or ask the manager for a special deal on a large amount if you need nuts for your macaws

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Since you have 3 Macaws I'm really glad you found this. Such a huge savings! The people watching you bag almost 60 lbs of nuts must have thought 'wow this person sure must LOVE nuts!' :52: LOL!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Great minds think alike...

Day after christmas shopping for some folks involves left over Christmas items like electronic gadgets, and ornimants...

Day after Christmas around here was a six month supply of mixed nuts at WAY less than half price! And that's one of the best Christmas presents I could get...

We're set until about August! HUGE break in the budget.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Great find, glad you stopped by at the right time to take advantage of the sale price. Thanks for the tip.

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I can imagine that people living in California can find nuts like this readily, but us poor devils on the East Coast would have to endure huge shipping charges. I do wonder if English Walnuts and Brazil Nuts are grown in California as well. Do Brazil nuts just come from Brazil??

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Binky my 11 month old quaker,brought him home July 11,2014. Olly my o.w.a is 8 years old.brought him home,sept.3rd. :-)
T.y I'm going to Walmart for my new baby! :)

Most Reactions