Num num is home!!!!!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
About 20 years ago, I took in a Lovebird that had a run-in with an Amazon that tore off the top of his beak. It happened through the bars of the 'zon's cage. For the first week the lovie was very subdued, and wouldn't eat much. His head was very swollen, and obviously sore. With meds and time, he healed. In the beginning, I fed him mostly human baby food. He eventually ate softer fruit & veg with a few seeds. His beak never completely grew back. But, part of it did. It looked similar to when we lose a nail, and it grows back weird looking. But was never a complete beak. He lived a fine life, and died six years later. So, there is hope for some degree of recovery.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Oh my goodness I so hope he pulls through this. I've thought about him so many times today. Bruising always looks worse a day or two after any accident on any creature so that is to be expected. He's clearly feeling unwell so he's bound to be a bit puffed up. I so hope the Metacam helps him. You are taking care of him so beautifully. Stay strong, sending hugs.

thanks poppetsum, I think he's just feeling the effects of the trauma he has been thru since Sunday night when this happened.
that's plenty for any bird.

thank goodness for metacam!!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
About 20 years ago, I took in a Lovebird that had a run-in with an Amazon that tore off the top of his beak. It happened through the bars of the 'zon's cage. For the first week the lovie was very subdued, and wouldn't eat much. His head was very swollen, and obviously sore. With meds and time, he healed. In the beginning, I fed him mostly human baby food. He eventually ate softer fruit & veg with a few seeds. His beak never completely grew back. But, part of it did. It looked similar to when we lose a nail, and it grows back weird looking. But was never a complete beak. He lived a fine life, and died six years later. So, there is hope for some degree of recovery.

thanks Billsbirds- I know Num Num will recover but to what extent we just don't know at this point.
he already has progressive dead tissue around his lower beak, and has begun to affect his lower beak. his lower beak was torn from the side of his face, and could not be re-attached, due to the dead tissue.
the vet is hopeful the tissue will start to re-grow but it is doubtful.

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
He is now in pain but he will feel better in time - even if he loses his lower beak which I hope he doesn't but going by what your vet told you, it is the most likely scenario. But, even if he does (and let's hope he doesn't!), it's not the end of the world. Animals are amazing when it comes to handicaps, they never dwell on them, they are never discouraged or even feel bad about their limitations, they just keep on living for the day, trying and adjusting as they go on.

If I were you, I would put his cage in a quiet place with a heating pad under it and a towel or something covering all sides but the front. Parrots are prey animals and they feel very vulnerable (which translates into stress) when they are wounded/sick and exposed so they prefer to hide and allowing them to do it helps with their recovery. I would also start him on a soft diet because, if he loses his beak, he will have to eat it for the rest of his life.

I also had a lovie that had half her lower beak. It had been torn off by also an Amazon and it never grew back whole but she managed VERY well with just a half of it. And I have a Quaker whose upper beak was torn from the side and it took a long time because the trauma had displaced it so her lower beak grew more on one side than the other and kept on pushing it more to the side but I trimmed it and trimmed it constantly to encourage it to grow straight and that helped a lot. It's not straight but you can hardly notice it and she even eats seeds with it (they need to be small because she can't open it all the way but she doesn't mind).

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Charlie is missing half of his lower beak... he has trouble eating seeds but pellets and fresh foods he can deal with. Really need to try switching his diet, though!

CharliePreen.jpg

Quikstop on flesh sounds painful.... I hope he's able to recover, with or without his entire beak!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
He is now in pain but he will feel better in time - even if he loses his lower beak which I hope he doesn't but going by what your vet told you, it is the most likely scenario. But, even if he does (and let's hope he doesn't!), it's not the end of the world. Animals are amazing when it comes to handicaps, they never dwell on them, they are never discouraged or even feel bad about their limitations, they just keep on living for the day, trying and adjusting as they go on.

If I were you, I would put his cage in a quiet place with a heating pad under it and a towel or something covering all sides but the front. Parrots are prey animals and they feel very vulnerable (which translates into stress) when they are wounded/sick and exposed so they prefer to hide and allowing them to do it helps with their recovery. I would also start him on a soft diet because, if he loses his beak, he will have to eat it for the rest of his life.

I also had a lovie that had half her lower beak. It had been torn off by also an Amazon and it never grew back whole but she managed VERY well with just a half of it. And I have a Quaker whose upper beak was torn from the side and it took a long time because the trauma had displaced it so her lower beak grew more on one side than the other and kept on pushing it more to the side but I trimmed it and trimmed it constantly to encourage it to grow straight and that helped a lot. It's not straight but you can hardly notice it and she even eats seeds with it (they need to be small because she can't open it all the way but she doesn't mind).

I hear what your saying....and thanks for explaining it. I know he will learn to manage, if he's hungry, he will eat.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I'm so happy Num Num is home, what happened to him is terrible and I cringe just thinking about it! My heart goes out to you, stay strong and Keep Num Num's spirits up

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh poor Num Num.....I hope he feels better soon!!!! Your doing the best you can right now for Num Num. I do hope everything will be better soon!!!

Most Reactions