Obi/ Coco

S

Sameera

Hi my name is sameera. I recently had an african grey (obi) who ws 10wks old bt he died. Acording 2 the vet i took hm 2 she said he could hav had beacon feather disease....he was fine wen i took hm in he was jus not eating, she gave hm an injectn said sh is keepin hm 4 a couple days 2 run tests but the next day she foned nd said he died. I ws devastated! Does any1 no about this disease? Could my baby have had this disease or do u think it ws the injectn she gave hm? Cos in my understanding he was 2 little 4 injections.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Welcome to the forum. So sorry you lost your baby. Psittacine beak and feather disease(PBFD) is a fatal disease and is common in babies. However, you usually see feathers abnormalities as well as other symptoms. There are several diseases very common to baby parrots. Avian Borna Virus and PDD. The only way to know is for your vet to have done a necropsy on your baby. She should have suggested this. Your baby would have contacted these illnesses at birth or from the breeders. So I would definitely contact the person you got your baby from.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2592

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Well said Greycloud!!!! You need to contact the breeder you got him from. They usually have a health guarantee. I'm sorry to hear your loss!!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts