Oh boy.... (or girl!)

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
Okay so i just came to the realization that my lovie Cloud is a girl.

The way in which i found out wasn't the usual nest building and laying eggs
randomly way like before with older lovebirds. what's been happening is
that whenever i hold my black coffee mug closer to HIM, he'd spread his
wings out and raise his tail back.... which is what i've read to be a female
lovebird courtship behavior. basically inviting the male to mount her.

Another thing is that whenever he's in his hut and anyone gets close, he'd
hide inside and become extremely aggressive. i've tried removing the hut
for a while to prevent him from being more aggressive.

but yea.. i need to know if Cloud is indeed a girl. >.<

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
How old is Cloud? Basil is about 20 months but I would like to have him DNA'd so I know that he is, in fact, a HE. I haven't seen the "skirt dance" but I wonder when he starts shredding newspaper madly (never makes anything out of it). He is my first lovebird so this is all new to me.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
oh yes thats definately female behavior thats how i could tell my lovebird Eros was a girl and she started getting agreessive over her coconut I just didnt mess with her inside the coconut and now i dont at all cause shes a breeder.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
How old is Cloud? Basil is about 20 months but I would like to have him DNA'd so I know that he is, in fact, a HE. I haven't seen the "skirt dance" but I wonder when he starts shredding newspaper madly (never makes anything out of it). He is my first lovebird so this is all new to me.

well if it was a female it would probably tuck it under the wings males shred but dont know what to do with it as they usually cant tuck it.

OP
Joeyx

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
cloud is almost a year old. next month probably. looks like i need to get used to treating him as a girl now. >.<

female lovies shred newspaper and tuck it under their wings, yea. if theres a hut or something similar in their cage, theyd take it there and build a nest. males do shred too sometimes but they just leave the pieces lying around i guess. i've had experiences with both cases but this skirt dance is new to me! D;

Most Reactions

Latest posts