Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
This evening Husband I were stepping out to take a walk, he was outside already. I walked out with the dog, closed the door, closed door behind me, a wall on each side of me. Husband, "Watch out for the snake!" I didn't see a snake, I was walking on air, there was only one direction to go! I get behind Husband, 10 feet from the door, screaming "Where!?" "Right there. Oh look there are two!" I danced, and jumped so much I think I burned 1000 doing Flash Dance. These were 4 - 8 inches long, but I'm disturbed that there were two together, and by the front door. If there are two that size, by the door, does that mean there are more?????? I had a neighbor that found a nest of copperheads in her garage so now I'm looking down all the time!!!

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Yes it is likely, but lucky for you moms don't hang around after babies have hatched/after they are live born. They should wander off in their own directions since this is outdoors and not an enclosed space like a garage.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Given that you're from "The Great State Of....." and there are 2-3 venomous species that hold claim to Tejas as home, you might be interested to know that while mom may have left her brood to fend for themselves, babies generally pack more punch per inch than if they were full grown.....

Good luck on your walks.....

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Puck, just noticed where you're located.....knew that town a long time ago, back when a large part of the residential neighborhoods were north of Division, actually, I started school at the old Kooken Elementary school on N. Center.....before I-20.....even before the Dallas-Ft. Worth turnpike & I-30.....

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Rats? Have, none, want none. Snakes can stay outside away from my space and we are good. Puck and Weco thanks. We lived in an apartment 3 years ago that sat on a water hazard off a golf course and our walk and entry were never dull. If this is a "hatching", do babies "herd" together or scatter? Is it possible the birth location was close to the front walk? Seven years ago I found a snake living under my backdoor jam. It found that it could crawl between the threshold and the door sweep. Open the door and it was pulled into the house so if I need to address or watch out for more little ones.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Though I'm not a herp person, the Nat. Geo programs I've seen, showed the hatchlings hanging around for their first meal or two, but you could look around outside, where your creepy crawlies were & see if you can find any little leathery egg shells...these could be about the size of a half dollar but crumpled looking.....maybe around a mulched area.....someplace where incubating eggs can be kept warm.....

Don't forget to watch where you step ! ! !

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Not every snake is poisonous. I would imagine if they were baby snakes, they've already moved along. If you see one again, get a picture. Theres a big difference in how to deal with a "nest of copperheads" and a harmless little garter snake. In fact, non-poisonous snakes are generally nice to have around. They eat lots of pests with no possibility of causing humans and large animals (like dogs) harm.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh my goodness...I would have been terrified!:eek: I am totally and utterly petrified of snakes...big/small/poisonous/non-poisonous. I have no reason, I just am. I know people who are petrified of spiders or mice...well with me it's snakes! I hope the snakes at your home move on and you have no other sightings or worries. Good luck!;)

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Puck, just noticed where you're located.....knew that town a long time ago, back when a large part of the residential neighborhoods were north of Division, actually, I started school at the old Kooken Elementary school on N. Center.....before I-20.....even before the Dallas-Ft. Worth turnpike & I-30.....

Wow! That was before my time, but my family has lived in Arlington since it was a tiny dot on the map.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
I don't know why snakes are my big fear, my father is very afraid of snakes. My inlaws now, ugh! They live in the country and we love to visit them but they have found snakes in their house! I posted a thread in January about this because I was going to stay with them to help with their daughter after she had surgery and I wanted to take my birds. Now they struggle with mice so that's why the snakes are coming in, dinner!!! In their yard I've run into large rat snakes and they have poisonous snakes, like cotton mouths in the pond next to their house. These babies in front of the house were garter snakes, they had very small heads, not arrow shaped and they looked like a putty color. I'm hoping they moved off by now and if they haven't they will soon. We rent out home and a lawn crew comes through weekly. Our lawn isn't manicured but we have rose bushes in front and last Thursday I fertilized them so I was tromping around the area. This is the first time I've seen a snake around our yard. Today I'm expecting a package to be delivered on my doorstep. I'm hoping there will be no little extras under it when I pick it up, lol.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Just google up your area snakes so you know what to fear and what is harmless. :) You have more venomous ones probably down south. I'm naturally not afraid of any snakes, but I try to keep myself educated. We have critically endangered rattle snakes around here, and I'm very happy when I see one and take pics. :)

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Yes, do educate yourself on the snakes in your area, and that will help you know whether they were anything to be afraid of! I live where there are no poisonous snakes, so have never been afraid of them, but I know that's not the case for you. Still, of all the snakes in Texas, of which there are hundred, only some are venomous. I found this helpful list from http://www.texaspoison.com/snakes.asp:

Texas is home to the following venomous snakes: the Copperhead, Cottonmouth, Rattlesnake, Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, Timber Rattlesnake, Mojave Rattlesnake, Blacktail Rattlesnake, Western Rattlesnake, Massasauga, Pygmy Rattlesnake, and Harlequin Coral Snake.

Texas is also home to hundreds of other snakes, some of which mimic their venomous cousins.

Snakes of Texas | Herps of Texas - has pictures of most of the snakes, and so does Texas Snake Pictures - but neither of those say which is something to be scared of, and which is not!

The non-poisonous ones are actually beneficial to have around - they eat bugs and rodents that otherwise might cause you trouble.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm terrified of snakes!!!! We have three poisonous ones here, copperhead, water moccasins (cotton mouth) and rattle snakes. I've come close to cotton mouth on several occasions when I was young. Hopefully they'll stay out of my yard due to us having dogs.....

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Family and I stayed in Austin for a few months.We spent the day at the Colorado River Wildlife Sanctuary. Was blown away with the number and size of the snakes in the river! This was also my first experience with fire ants! Very bad!

Most Reactions

Latest posts