TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
So, Christy and I went into Parrot Safari (www.parrot-safari.com) this afternoon to have a look around and to get some things for the boys. Concetta (the owner) comes running over to us all excited and she says to me:

"Have you been posting about us on the web?"
"I am sure I have mentioned you guys before in a forum or two. why do you ask?"
"Well someone called here and said that 'Jason' had mentioned us on the web ..."

So, I can only guess that it had to be one of you guys - needless to say she was all excited about this ... So, I was just wondering if it was any of you guys ... Peta, Karen, Phoebus, Eclectia ... I don't think it was you guys ... :p

Last edited:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Wasn't me ... but, Tex, now you are on Dan's hit list because you've introduced me to YET ANOTHER place to shop and spend his money! LOL :50:

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Actually, Concetta (for some unknown reason) has yet to set up an online business ... his money is safe, for now ...

Honestly, I have tried to convince Concetta to set up an online business, because this IS the type of store that you want to shop at and that I could get a lot of people to shop at, but I think that she is so over-whelmed right now that she doesn't want to stretch herself too thin ... I wish though that she would do this though, I am sure she would have a lot of business ...

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Being an ex-business owner, Tex, I understand being "stretched too thin" ... trying to please the masses.

If she does get up and running, post a note for us all and I am sure she will have a great number of new patrons.

But, again, "going global" is a big committment ... so I understand implicitly her concerns.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
It's funny ... she keeps expanding the store (one of her 'handymen' joked about the neighboring tenants [in her strip mall] being worried about her knocking down walls and expanding sideways) but yet she's not ready to make this move, oh well ... I just want to see her stay in business which is why we frequent and promote her store!

She's just an amazing bird person, when someone comes in to purchase a bird she spends hours with them ... (just today we saw this big biker looking guy buying two blue and snow white budgies and she was telling him everything he needed to know ...) Your birds are welcome there (they just can't chew on anything) and you can take any of the birds out of their cages (if she trusts you to know body language of the parrots and how to handle them) ... All of her stock are her babies, she knows all of the birds that she has sold, she knows their names and she knows if you have other birds and their names as well.

As for her birds, she hand feeds and socializes her babies she never has more than 1 or 2 of the same type of larger parrots at one time. All the parrots have fresh veggies and get out of cage time during the day ...

Her staff is so friendly ... and more importantly they know their stuff ... and it's not 'book knowledge' it's 'real experience' because they all have birds, and know how to handle them. Just a great place to purchase and hangout to look at birds ... she has a Queen of Bavaria Conure and I have an 'inside source' that tells me she's getting a baby HAWK HEAD tomorrow ... (the 'inside source' is Concetta herself, she's trying to get Christy and I to take him home ... )

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
OMG a HAWK HEAD! Wow. That would be totally awesome. (Do your research! LOL).

Sounds like a fabulous store to support. Sounds like she has a passion and it shows. Count your blessings to have a shop like that within access! And, support it with every moment and penny you have ... :D

That's cool about the biker guy ... when someone cares where their babies go to, that is a place to support.

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
NONONONONONO, no Hawk-Head for us!

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
LOL LOL LOL Tex, you have convinced me that you are a sensible person. LOL!!!! :p

post note edit: you do have to admit, they are quite striking, though!

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
They are quite striking ... what I will have to do is post a picture of a wet Mac and show you his impression of a hawk-head ... it's quite cute.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Woohoo...can't wait to see the pic!

Hawk heads, unfortunately, do have some pretty potent vocal cords. Doesn't make them any less stunning, though!

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Hawkheads are awesome!!!!! They are expensive however. They are very hard to breed which is why they are so pricey. I know someone on another forum who has one. If there were any breeders in canada... well actually theres one or two breeders in Canada... and i think about 5 breeders in the USA. Well actually i only know of one breeder in the USA and their in hawaii... but im guessing there has to be more than one! so im taking a wild guessing and saying theres 5. :D:D The perosn on the other forum has so many cute videos of her hawkhead trying to talk and stuff. Maybe ill ask her if i can post it here. :D

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
Wow, i have never seen a hawk head in real live. They are simply stunning, and i never knew they were difficult to breed. I'm definitely gonna search the pet shops to see one now!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
It was me, Yep I popped in on my way home, got a bit lost took a wrong turning or sommat. :D Okay so it wasn't really me.

Tex you can tell her that when she sets up an online business she's got at least one customer from the UK. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Wasn't me either Tex! :p

(the 'inside source' is Concetta herself, she's trying to get Christy and I to take him home ... )

Why do I think that you will finally get the hawk head? :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
THey are awsome birds!!! They have them at several zoos down here and I've seen them at 2 pet shops and a bird show. Several breeders in the AUstin area are trying to get their number up. Amazing little guys :)

Most Reactions