Old habit trick?

Autumn

Oct 21, 2010
Media
California
Parrots
PePe; Dusky Conure
People have used hot sauce or a sour lemon to put on their own nails so whenever they bite, th taste will remimd them not to.. So my question is If I put a sour or a taste my Birds do not like on my fingers will this keep them from biting or nipping?

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
Interesting, this seems like a good trick, you just have to watch the ingredients in the hot sauce, even though it shouldn't be anything harmful. Thanks for sharing this!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I'm not sure if hot would work. A lot of birds actually like hot peppers, so it may just make you more tastey lol

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I think it's an old wives tale, kind of like breeders putting black pepper in the feed of birds to force them to lay more eggs quicker.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Merlin actually likes the taste of the bitter apple I bought for woodwork. He's really twisted. lol

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I would expect it to work, but you will likely have to try several things to find a disagreeable flavor. Hot sause is unlikely to work, especially if it is a bird from the americas.

It is risky as you may make it unpleasant for the bird to preen itself.

OP
Autumn

Autumn

Oct 21, 2010
Media
California
Parrots
PePe; Dusky Conure
your welcome, it came to me Dusky woodn't eat a pineapple slice! who doesn't like pineapples, hes wierd one. Probably may be a wifes tale or probably something that works if you find just the right distasteful treat. Lol a bittrt apple gets gobled down but a yummy pineapple dropped, twisted birds indeed. Dusky likes lemon aswell..hmmm and hot peppers... and letuce=/ i will work on it nd keep it posted, will watch for ingrediants.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Sorry Autumn I really don't think either remedy will work it could have the opposite effect. Birds don't have as many taste buds or saliva glands so i doubt they would even notice how sour or hot something is.

Most parrots will bite fingers, you will have to work out why they bite. I do know budgies & conures can be nippy at times. Parrots bite for a reason, usually to be left alone. If any of my parrots bite me it is usually something i have done to upset them or i haven't read the body language. You know your birds don't have to be handled a lot to make the perfect companion, they do need their own time out to chill just like we want to be left alone sometimes except we have a voice to say leave me alone birds have beaks. Does that make sense.

Most Reactions

Latest posts