One Last Question.

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
So I have brought Kiko to the vet once due to bubbles in his droppings, showing up occasionally. And occasionally diarrhea.

And then just for a good measure, again.

I have spent countless moments looking stuff up on the internet, especially on how a bird dropping should look. Everything I have seen puts his droppings in the healthy section. White urates, clear urine(no excess liquid either), good color for the feces. No bubbles whatsoever anymore.

However, ever since I brought him in, and given him the antibiotics after her was diagnosed with the slightest of bacterial infection(if it was even that. The vet said the sample could have been tainted since the reading was so low.), the feces part is not as solid as it was. It stays consistently the same way, and it healthy, but it is different than what he normally used to have. I am not concerned by his health at all, as he is displaying no symptoms, but I want to catch something before symptoms. It is to my understanding that polyuria has normal feces, with extra urine surrounding the stool, kind of like a drop of water. But this isn't really what he has. No excessive urine, just slightly soft feces. It's gross, but I used to be able to flick his droppings, and now I can't do it so much anymore.

Should I bring him in for a third time, and retest him, blood test included? I understand I may just be paranoid now, but I never know! He acts normal, destroys his toys, grinds his beak, drinks, however not excessively, eats normally. And he does not eat fruits or veggies with high water content at all. As long as his weight stays the same, there is no difference in his stools, and he acts normal with no symptoms, should I just classify this as the new normal, with healthy looking stools that are just slightly different than he produced a few months ago?

I also had another question, is there anything specifically that may boost his immune system and gut flora after giving him those antibiotics for a week?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
After antibiotics I always give my birds a week's worth of probiotics sprinkled on their food once a day to replace the healthy bacteria.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I have given Plum a prebiotic in his water after antibiotics.

This could be the antibiotics messing with things? Encourage Kiko to eat healthy, especially his veggies, if he isn't keen on those try sprouted seeds. Fruit usually introduces more liquid into the diet and will be seen after.

Does he eat pellets? Is he still eating pellets, they have an effect of firming things up. Plum's droppings go through a few changes throughout the day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts