one quick question

andrew4011

Feb 5, 2017
I have adopted a ruby macaw baby and won't have him or her home until around June. Was looking online at cages and can't seem to find out much on what cage would be a good size and safe for the bird. So i am basically was seeing if anyone here had any suggestions for me.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm not sure, but somebody here will be!
Stick with us.
This is a great forum!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. For macaws, the answer is BIG. As big as you can afford, and then save up some more and get bigger. The rule of thumb is your bird should be able to extend his wings fully, with some room, inside the cage.

OP
A

andrew4011

Feb 5, 2017
i assumed big. there are a lot of different styles and what not on the market. I know some brands are probably better than others. Was hoping that people would link some to give me an idea on what i am looking for as size and style that they think would work out best. I was on amazon and seem some rather large ones that were kinda cheap and some that was higher in price. I would rather not order a cage and it comes to my house and is a complete pile of junk and i threw away the money i spent on it and have to turn around and order another one.

MosaicMadness

Nov 20, 2015
Media
Virginia
Parrots
Jenks-RFM 13 yrs, Mox-BTM 9 mos, Widget-RB2 11mos, Artie-WCpi 17 years, Khalessi-BWpi 4 yrs, Winslow-Meyers 6 yrs
The avian adventures brand macaw cage is a really good one JMO.

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
We have a Kings cage for our Macaw. I love the victorian type door that opens down above the regular door. But dislike the open playtop. We never open it. I almost let it close on my birds foot the very first day. I've heard of other people having accidents also, but there are others who love the open top.

Most Reactions

Latest posts