Opinions on subspecies of eclectus

craftyGAgal

Feb 13, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Parrots
Senegal,
Triton Cockatoo
I have decided to get a male eclectus & found the breeder I am thrilled about.... Now, I have the choice between a grand or a red sided? I have found info on obvious differences but looking for people's personal experiences and opinions. I have a loving home with two well behaved 10 yr old twins who love animals and are great with birds. Love to hear about either of these two subspecies. The babies are not old enough to show much personality differences- each seem lovely so that isn't a way I could pick. I must decide soon to ensure I have a baby since this breeder is well sought after. Thanks!

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
If the birds are pure, the Red Sided will be quite a bit larger than the Grand when it is an adult. If you ever want to find a pure female of the same subspecies, it will be easier to find a pure Red Sided female.

If you are just looking for a pet, either one will make a wonderful pet. Other than slight personality differences in an individual bird, I don't think the difference between those two subspecies, will make much difference in how the bird gets along with your family, etc.

You likely know that Grands are less common in the U.S. Again, I'm talking pure birds, not crosses between subspecies or when one parent is for sure pure and the other is probably a given subspecies. Much harder to tell on the males.

One last thing. Be sure you understand that Grand DOES NOT mean large. Some adult Grand males are smaller than Solomons.

OP
C

craftyGAgal

Feb 13, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Parrots
Senegal,
Triton Cockatoo
These are pure breed, the breeder is an advocate for eclectus and very interested in keeping subspecies pure. No not for breeding- just a family pet. Size isnt a factor to me. I just want a good sweet family birdie- why I went we eckies and then a male. Thanks
Edited to add- I have noticed the grand are less common here in US, figuring that is why I cant find any info on them, =)

Most Reactions

Latest posts