Baby Eclectus

Nader

May 30, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Quaker
Iā€™m new here, I hope Iā€™m posing in the right spot. My fiancĆ© and I are looking into buying an Eclectus. We found someone here in Ontario but thereā€™s a bit of a language barrier. The little guy is about 8 weeks old (hatch date march 30th) and currently looks like this. Iā€™ve looked all over online and it seems like heā€™s a bit under developed for his age. I was wondering if I could get some opinions from experienced owners, does the little guy look healthy for his age?

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 38

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
His feather development is odd. usually they get roughly all their feathers at the same time but having fully developed head feathers and no body feathers/pins is concerning.

Ask what formula they are feeding... eclectus doesn't do well on most typical formulas because of their sensitive digestive track.

I'd also be concerned about parents plucking.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
His feather development is odd. usually they get roughly all their feathers at the same time but having fully developed head feathers and no body feathers/pins is concerning.

Ask what formula they are feeding... eclectus doesn't do well on most typical formulas because of their sensitive digestive track.

I watched two videos today about hand feeding eclectus from hatching to fledging because i thought it was odd that his head was turning green but his body was covered with dense brownish grey down. It turns out to be normal but I think the baby is more like five or six weeks old. If you google eclectus parrot chick handfeeding and look at videos there are two I watched. The baby in the picture you posted looks otherwise healthy to me.

OP
N

Nader

May 30, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Quaker

Thanks for the reply, she hasnā€™t been very responsive to our messages. We

Thanks for the reply! She hasnā€™t been overly responsive to our messages, again thereā€™s a bit of a language barrier there. We are a bit concerned though and will be opting out to look for another breeder to play it safe

OP
N

Nader

May 30, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Quaker
I watched two videos today about hand feeding eclectus from hatching to fledging because i thought it was odd that his head was turning green but his body was covered with dense brownish grey down. It turns out to be normal but I think the baby is more like five or six weeks old. If you google eclectus parrot chick handfeeding and look at videos there are two I watched. The baby in the picture you posted looks otherwise healthy to me.
We thought that he may be younger but the pictures that sheā€™s sent us have his age in days posted on them which left us confused.

Most Reactions

Latest posts