Opinions/recommendations on 'beginner' birds

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
I know that there is discussion whether there is such a thing as a 'beginner' bird but let's frame it as 'what would you recommend for a beginner'.

Some background on me, I have actually been around birds before. I currently care for a lovely male budgie at work and have been around Yellow-Crowned Amazons. I also bird-sat a male parrotlet while a family friend recovered from a long-term illness. I have never personally owned a bird, however.

I have a stable home, stable income, and while I do work ~30hrs a week I am very much a homebody, so whenever I am home and awake the bird would have my attention.

My 'bird list' has gone through a few iterations as I've done my research but to be honest it hasn't really gotten any easier to figure out what to go with.

:blue2: Budgies
I currently care for a budgie at work, and I am fond of him. The issue I come across with budgies is that here they are regarded more as a hands-off bird and disposable (sadly) so there are next to no breeders who hand raise, and rescued/rehomed birds are almost always not tame at all. I am still looking, though!

Most of the pet store here have budgies as well, and I know they are not tame at all but they are always young budgies with barring still all the way to their cere so perhaps there is a possibility I could successfully bond with one?

Linnies
A recent addition to my list. Linnies were suggested to me by a linnie/tiel breeder I contacted on my search for budgie breeders. I can see their appeal but their 'terrible twos' and propensity of hand-shyness makes me wonder.

:grey: Cockatiels
I love cockatiels - or at least I love the idea of one. They seem to have many of the qualities I'm looking for: reasonably small, attractive, personable, and somewhat relaxed (compared to some birds, like budgies). My concerns are: night frights, I'd hate to wake up to find my bird has died or is about to from injuring themselves and breaking a blood feather overnight; piercing calls, I am by no means opposed to noise, I really enjoy frequent chatter and whistling, but I'm sensitive to loudness which makes me lean away from tiels a little. Sure, I could do without the dander but birds are already messy so it's not really a big deal to me.

Bourkes Parakeet
These guys were on my list for a while but they're nigh-impossible to find here and since they don't engage in allo-preening I've moved on from the idea. I'm mentioning them just in case someone else sees this post and suggests them.

Parrotlet
I mentioned I birdsat one before, and I birdsat him long enough to know I don't want one :p

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I've had wonderful luck with budgies. I don't know why they get that reputation, they are such lovely little guys. Though, I may be biased, as I raise them and have nearly 50 of the little guys in my home right now!

Cockatiels are also absolutely amazing. One has been my best friend for over 17 and a half years now. I don't know where I'd be without that little yellow guy, but I do know what you mean about the shrill loudness of their calls.

I am totally biased, but I would recommend either budgies or tiels very highly. Even pet shop budgies can be bonded with and trained. They are WONDERFUL birds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
FYI: There is no such thing as a 'beginner' bird...
Regardless of size, birds (Parrots) are Heart Warmers that quickly become the center fixtures in their families.
Whether one has the largest of Parrots or the smallest of Parrots, they all occupy the heart of the family.

Find the Parrot that wants to be with you and your family, i.e. Let the Parrot choose you and your family.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forum family!

It's great to see you doing all the homework, first. That's a beautiful thing. Personally, from your list it would be a cockatiel for me. Not from the dreaded 'starter bird' perspective, but rather from the POV that they tend to be amazing! I had one who completely stole my heart. Sweet bird, laid back, very friendly and extremely intelligent.

The noise level is partially individual to the bird's personality - though how you raise and train them factors in also - but mine focused most of his communication with me on talking and whistling games. (The whistling games were the best! He would start with a simple tune and wait for me to copy it. Then each successive round had him getting more and more complex with his whistled music until I would make a mistake. Then, once I FAILED, he would go back to something ridiculously simple and start again. You know, his version of 'Whistling for Dummies'! Lol! He also did it the other way around, with him following my lead, but he got a lot more excited when he was the one running the show. Ha!)

Only time he would get a little loud in the traditional chirps and squeals was always the first three minutes or so after I got home from work, out of his utter excitement. Which was great. Like coming home to applause every day. Lol!

Yeah, love me some 'tiels!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I met a linnie at pet store and was able to hold and pet him/her just stole my heart! So I read about them, they used to be really popular and seemike a great parrot. But my house is full of birds lol! And any future additions would be will down the road and only rescue or re-home ad there are so many that need an understanding place to live.
My neighbor had a cockatiel and as he uscekderky he is leaving him to me in his will. He is a fantastic bird with do much personality. :) Definitely a good choice.

On Budgies a hand tamed English budgie would be a great choice. But I caution that they are often carriers of disease. My vet freind didn't recommend adding them if you already have other parrots or plan on adding other parrots in the future. Of course I disregarded this and added two re-home to my flock. Wonderful though untame. The problem for me is the agression from my other parrots to the budgies. So another caution if you think you might add other parrots to your flock in the years to come...

I didn't see green cheeck conures on your list. They are great birds too. I had a single one for many years while working that did very well. They can and do bite , they have a strong since if what is right and wrong in their lives and learn to correct us with their beak. But they are aslo affectionate loving little clowns.

I'm going to link one of my favorite articles on bird behaviors covers a lot of ground. And onebon bird stress because it has a lot of great info as well both well worth the read

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I like that you put "beginner bird: in quotes--- it implies that you are aware that you are aware that there aren't beginner birds! I have heard great things about budgies and cockatiels (never owned a cockatiel) but they still require a ton of time and lifestyle changes ( no teflon/ptfe/pfoa/candles/scented products/ standard cleaners).

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
Cockatiels are also absolutely amazing. One has been my best friend for over 17 and a half years now. I don't know where I'd be without that little yellow guy, but I do know what you mean about the shrill loudness of their calls.

And what has been your experience with night frights? I don't really have a nice secluded spot in the house for a sleep cage that would be out of the way and out of view of any car headlights, and I live on a busy street where heavy and loud trucks come down, even in the evening.

FYI: There is no such thing as a 'beginner' bird...
Regardless of size, birds (Parrots) are Heart Warmers that quickly become the center fixtures in their families.
Whether one has the largest of Parrots or the smallest of Parrots, they all occupy the heart of the family.

Find the Parrot that wants to be with you and your family, i.e. Let the Parrot choose you and your family.

I understand what you mean, which is why I tried rephrasing it. I do think there are birds that tend to be 'safer bets' when you don't know how committed a person is or would be to their birb. I've heard of too many first-timers running out and getting 'toos and AGs and macaws and both of them end up miserable. Of course, I know there are those that have done exactly that and they have a wonderful relationship :D In this case, I don't think I am that person. I don't have the space or the confidence for one of the bigguns, even for the cute umbrella cockatoo that 'chose' me when I stopped at a bird store recently.

Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forum family!

It's great to see you doing all the homework, first. That's a beautiful thing. Personally, from your list it would be a cockatiel for me. Not from the dreaded 'starter bird' perspective, but rather from the POV that they tend to be amazing! I had one who completely stole my heart. Sweet bird, laid back, very friendly and extremely intelligent.

The noise level is partially individual to the bird's personality - though how you raise and train them factors in also - but mine focused most of his communication with me on talking and whistling games. (The whistling games were the best! He would start with a simple tune and wait for me to copy it. Then each successive round had him getting more and more complex with his whistled music until I would make a mistake. Then, once I FAILED, he would go back to something ridiculously simple and start again. You know, his version of 'Whistling for Dummies'! Lol! He also did it the other way around, with him following my lead, but he got a lot more excited when he was the one running the show. Ha!)

Only time he would get a little loud in the traditional chirps and squeals was always the first three minutes or so after I got home from work, out of his utter excitement. Which was great. Like coming home to applause every day. Lol!

Yeah, love me some 'tiels!

Like above, what was your experience with night frights? I'm so terrified of a tiel getting spooked and hurting themselves and I'm not aware. From what I've seen, lutinos seem to be worse according to other owners.

Also, your tiel would have been very disappointed in me! I can't whistle or hold a tune. I can trill, though.

I met a linnie at pet store and was able to hold and pet him/her just stole my heart! So I read about them, they used to be really popular and seemike a great parrot. But my house is full of birds lol! And any future additions would be will down the road and only rescue or re-home ad there are so many that need an understanding place to live.
My neighbor had a cockatiel and as he uscekderky he is leaving him to me in his will. He is a fantastic bird with do much personality. Definitely a good choice.

On Budgies a hand tamed English budgie would be a great choice. But I caution that they are often carriers of disease. My vet freind didn't recommend adding them if you already have other parrots or plan on adding other parrots in the future. Of course I disregarded this and added two re-home to my flock. Wonderful though untame. The problem for me is the agression from my other parrots to the budgies. So another caution if you think you might add other parrots to your flock in the years to come...

I didn't see green cheeck conures on your list. They are great birds too. I had a single one for many years while working that did very well. They can and do bite , they have a strong since if what is right and wrong in their lives and learn to correct us with their beak. But they are aslo affectionate loving little clowns.

I'm going to link one of my favorite articles on bird behaviors covers a lot of ground. And onebon bird stress because it has a lot of great info as well both well worth the read

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress...ot-companions/

Thank you for the resources! I'll book mark them for later :)

I'm not really 'into' English budgies, if that makes sense. On my hunt for budgie breeders I also didn't really find any breeders for EBs either. Seems in my area (Ontario, Canada) there are exceedingly few breeders of budgies in general, aside from the ones supplying pet stores but I have no idea where they're from anyway.

As for GCCs... I don't know. I work in a small pet store with a reasonable number of bird owners coming in, and I chit-chat with them and ask them about their birds. The impression I've gotten from customers that have them say they are pretty loud and demanding and not good for someone like me who still works. I just want to avoid being 'that person' who grabs a bird because they're cool/cute and then rehomes them because I jumped in the deep end without knowing how to swim.

Also, disclaimer: the store I work at doesn't sell any animals. The budgie we have is a rescue and is a permanent resident so I don't have the option of adopting him. I totally would though, guy's a sweetie.

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
I like that you put "beginner bird: in quotes--- it implies that you are aware that you are aware that there aren't beginner birds! I have heard great things about budgies and cockatiels (never owned a cockatiel) but they still require a ton of time and lifestyle changes ( no teflon/ptfe/pfoa/candles/scented products/ standard cleaners).

I mean, if you're dedicated enough any bird can be your first bird. I do think there are birds that are 'safer bets' when you're being asked to recommend birds to someone you don't know, and don't know their comfort level.

I am obviously not super knowledgeable about birds like everyone here is, but I think I know enough to know what birds (generally speaking) are not good for me. I'm just not comfortable with big birds and prefer to admire from a distance.

I know about anything with scents/aerosols/teflon etc but what kind of cleaners do you suggest? I don't use harsh chemicals for cleaning the house to begin with, I use natural/environmentally safe cleaners but knowing how delicate birds are I wouldn't be surprised if I needed to find something else.

At work, I clean the budgie's cage with a vinegar and water solution and spot clean with Nature's Miracle cage wipes.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Alex got night frights as a young bird. A nightlight helped, and having a second bird helped. Honestly though, I don't think he has had one in well over a decade at this point. Would the bird sleep in your bedroom? That can also help if you are a lightish sleeper and could get up to comfort the bird if he or she starts to panic.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Wonderful that you are doing all the research prior to getting a bird - I love the thoughtful approach that you are taking! Like you, I’m a “small bird” person. I love to interact with and admire large birds, but am always glad to hand them back after a visit.

I have a cockatiel - Screamer (I didn’t name her). She came to live with us a couple of years ago and is a sweetie. She prefers my husband to me, but will come to me for attention if he isn’t available :). She has had one night fright in 2 years, and I figured out that it was because her cage cover had hooked up on something, left a big opening and something spooked her (she has a heavy black cover and is happiest sleeping in complete dark). I double check her cover when I put her to bed now and hasn’t happened since. Don’t have a lot of experience with night frights - but if it happens again, I’ll approach it the same way...try to figure out what caused it.

I agree with Laura...GCCs are fun little birds (I have 3 lol). I work full time, so I make sure that they have lots of fun stuff to do while I’m at work and mine have big flight cages, I leave music on during the day. I don’t find GCCs particularly noisy, mine mostly chatter - but they are individuals and can be noisy.

I’ve always wanted budgies....but my flock is full, so I’ll just admire others’ budgies :).

Cleaners....after trying many things, I settled on a good steam cleaner. It has attachments for a steam scrubber, steam mop, etc so I use it for most things now. I use vinegar and water for some things, but the steamer really does take care of the worst of it.

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
Alex got night frights as a young bird. A nightlight helped, and having a second bird helped. Honestly though, I don't think he has had one in well over a decade at this point. Would the bird sleep in your bedroom? That can also help if you are a lightish sleeper and could get up to comfort the bird if he or she starts to panic.

Yes, I spend the majority of my time in my bedroom so that is where I would place the cage. I only have 1 window in here and it faces the rear of the house so not likely to get any weird lights in.

Wonderful that you are doing all the research prior to getting a bird - I love the thoughtful approach that you are taking! Like you, I’m a “small bird” person. I love to interact with and admire large birds, but am always glad to hand them back after a visit.

I have a cockatiel - Screamer (I didn’t name her). She came to live with us a couple of years ago and is a sweetie. She prefers my husband to me, but will come to me for attention if he isn’t available :). She has had one night fright in 2 years, and I figured out that it was because her cage cover had hooked up on something, left a big opening and something spooked her (she has a heavy black cover and is happiest sleeping in complete dark). I double check her cover when I put her to bed now and hasn’t happened since. Don’t have a lot of experience with night frights - but if it happens again, I’ll approach it the same way...try to figure out what caused it.

I agree with Laura...GCCs are fun little birds (I have 3 lol). I work full time, so I make sure that they have lots of fun stuff to do while I’m at work and mine have big flight cages, I leave music on during the day. I don’t find GCCs particularly noisy, mine mostly chatter - but they are individuals and can be noisy.

I’ve always wanted budgies....but my flock is full, so I’ll just admire others’ budgies :).

Cleaners....after trying many things, I settled on a good steam cleaner. It has attachments for a steam scrubber, steam mop, etc so I use it for most things now. I use vinegar and water for some things, but the steamer really does take care of the worst of it.

I'll definitely make a note of a steam cleaner. It's not the first time I've heard of them being used for cages, they work really well apparently! For general cleaning like floors and counters I use Method. It's miles away from Lysol and Pinesol in terms of harshness but it is still scented so I may have to find alternatives for that. I don't really burn incense anymore so that's a habit easily dropped. I don't burn candles, and I don't use essential oils. I still have the diffuser though, would that still be safe to use if it is just water? It is an ultrasonic diffuser, if that matters. The only thing I really use is Scentsy but I can still just use the empty warmer as a night light when the bird is in its cage.

I think I only have 2-3 teflon pans, the rest are ceramic/stone/cast iron/stainless steel, so they would be easily substituted.

I think GCCs are really cute and I like their wild colouration but I don't think I have the space for a flight cage for them. Well, I do but in a place where they would get quite lonely. I don't spend too much time in the living room, maybe a few hours a week down there. If I were to get one I think it would need to be a special circumstance, like I found a lost one that no one ends up claiming or someone needed emergency housing or something like that.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the community, thanks for a thoughtful introduction and willingness to research! If you have access to rescues/sanctuaries, breeders, or dedicated pet shops you'll have the opportunity to interact and form judgments as you progress. Above all else, as others have suggested, allowing the bird to choose you is extremely helpful!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Another species one should consider is yellow wing parrot or parakeet (Brotogeris). Small, intellegent and curious, these guys used to be the number 1 pet parrot. The thing about them is that they as a group crave human interaction, in fact in their native ranges, they will seek out humans. They are also known as pocket parrots, and beebee parrots, because they are snugglers. Not much talkers, but like tiels, they can whistle quite well. Our Max whistled beetoven tunes, star wars theme and a lot more.

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
Another species one should consider is yellow wing parrot or parakeet (Brotogeris). Small, intellegent and curious, these guys used to be the number 1 pet parrot. The thing about them is that they as a group crave human interaction, in fact in their native ranges, they will seek out humans. They are also known as pocket parrots, and beebee parrots, because they are snugglers. Not much talkers, but like tiels, they can whistle quite well. Our Max whistled beetoven tunes, star wars theme and a lot more.

I've never heard of this bird before. I'll look into the species and see if there are any breeders in my area. I want to be able to visit the breeder/aviary and see where they come from and meet the birds. Thanks!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

I mean, if you're dedicated enough any bird can be your first bird. I do think there are birds that are 'safer bets' when you're being asked to recommend birds to someone you don't know, and don't know their comfort level.

I am obviously not super knowledgeable about birds like everyone here is, but I think I know enough to know what birds (generally speaking) are not good for me. I'm just not comfortable with big birds and prefer to admire from a distance.

I know about anything with scents/aerosols/teflon etc but what kind of cleaners do you suggest? I don't use harsh chemicals for cleaning the house to begin with, I use natural/environmentally safe cleaners but knowing how delicate birds are I wouldn't be surprised if I needed to find something else.

At work, I clean the budgie's cage with a vinegar and water solution and spot clean with Nature's Miracle cage wipes.

I LOVE f10 sc--the yellow/clear kind. It doesn't have to be rinsed off and it is safe for them- it also kills more germs than vinegar.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

I agree! I thought linnies were bee bees my mistake. I vote bee bees!
Well I just read about linnies now I think they are adorable too,,!! So many wonderful species out there.. I feel my MBS acting up!!!

Last edited:
OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada

I agree! I thought linnies were bee bees my mistake. I vote bee bees!
Well I just read about linnies now I think they are adorable too,,!! So many wonderful species out there.. I feel my MBS acting up!!!

I spent some time seeing if there were even any breeders in my area and on the surface level it doesn't look promising :( From what I've read they were so easily imported that no one cared to establish domestic breeding programs. When they were no longer legal to import they kind of just disappeared.

I found some breeders in the US but 1. I want to visit the breeder and the birds in person 2. Can't import into Canada 3. I would be afraid to ship a bird regardless, even within Canada.

I'll keep looking regardless!

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
Welcome to the community, thanks for a thoughtful introduction and willingness to research! If you have access to rescues/sanctuaries, breeders, or dedicated pet shops you'll have the opportunity to interact and form judgments as you progress. Above all else, as others have suggested, allowing the bird to choose you is extremely helpful!

I missed your reply initially, sorry!

I've found a couple bird sanctuaries/rescues but they mostly specialize in amazons, cockatoos, macaws, and african greys. I am keeping tabs on them though, just in case they get birds that are closer to my comfort zone that I can volunteer for and interact with.

I know of one dedicated bird store about 1.5 hrs from me which is an option but I've heard some concerning things about their customer service and bornavirus so I'm not keen on going there. All the others are your typical pet stores that don't hand-raise and generally don't know much about what they're selling. I overheard one associate describe GCCs and 'pineapple conures' as being separate birds to a trainee once.

I have the contact information for a pionus/cockatiel/linnie breeder that I want to make an appointment to visit next year, though!

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Like above, what was your experience with night frights? I'm so terrified of a tiel getting spooked and hurting themselves and I'm not aware. From what I've seen, lutinos seem to be worse according to other owners.

Also, your tiel would have been very disappointed in me! I can't whistle or hold a tune. I can trill, though.

In all the time we had him, my 'tiel never had a night fright. (I had him for 18 years before he died of kidney disease.) I know they tend to be prone, and I really don't know why my guy was an exception. Might have just been a personality thing. But he was completely relaxed in the cage as long as I didn't cover it at night. He HATED cage covers. Once I got that through my skull, everything was copacetic.

After my experience with him, I followed the same practice with all my birds. I never cover their cages. I don't know if that was part of the reason he had no night frights, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada

In all the time we had him, my 'tiel never had a night fright. (I had him for 18 years before he died of kidney disease.) I know they tend to be prone, and I really don't know why my guy was an exception. Might have just been a personality thing. But he was completely relaxed in the cage as long as I didn't cover it at night. He HATED cage covers. Once I got that through my skull, everything was copacetic.

After my experience with him, I followed the same practice with all my birds. I never cover their cages. I don't know if that was part of the reason he had no night frights, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

That is reassuring, thank you :) I think I neglected to mention I have cats, and they demand to sleep with me at night, so I may find a nice place for a sleeping cage so whatever bird I end up with isn't bothered at night. I feel like it's not very likely, they sleep like rocks, but better safe than sorry.

Most Reactions