Opinions/recommendations on 'beginner' birds

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
I did homework before I ended up with a bird, too and I can tell you from experience, it still wasnt enough.

Im glad you struck Bourke's off your list. It's lie that they are 'great beginner' birds, like has been said a lot around the net. Or calling them 'apartment birds'. BS. They are very sedate, spook easily, prone to night frights, and they really dont enjoy people. Even handtamed ones dont really want your hands by them, and they dont want you to touch their heads. They are wild in disposition, like you noted, they dont preen each other, they have different legs than other grass keet so they dont climb. They need a lot of room to fly; their wings should never be clipped. They need another bird, since they are more sociable to them, but they are very gentle, so it has to be another bourke's or really mellow types of finches. Every other birds, especially budgies, is too aggressive for them.

I wound up adopting two that I love(d) very much, so none of these things I listed are flaws, to me. But I do realize that these are qualities that most people want. They want a sociable birds, or talkers, etc. And I just hate that they are pushing them as 'beginner' birds.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Alex got night frights as a young bird. A nightlight helped, and having a second bird helped. Honestly though, I don't think he has had one in well over a decade at this point. Would the bird sleep in your bedroom? That can also help if you are a lightish sleeper and could get up to comfort the bird if he or she starts to panic.

Bourkes are known for night frights, so I always had a non-fail charge night light behind their cage, and made sure to let the light show on the bottom of the cage, after I covered it for sleep.

My two had them the first few months, every once in a while. And they dissipated over time, to just rarely now. But you cant predict it. A tiny fly might go past them at night and that would be enough to set them off. Thank god neither hurt themselves, ever, but they are frightening to wake up to, because it seems like they are going to break their necks.

I agree with everyone that a cockatiel looks like a great bird.I never adopted one, but they have really cute personalities. They have a powdery feather coat, though, that if youre prone to allergies, might bother you.

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
Alex got night frights as a young bird. A nightlight helped, and having a second bird helped. Honestly though, I don't think he has had one in well over a decade at this point. Would the bird sleep in your bedroom? That can also help if you are a lightish sleeper and could get up to comfort the bird if he or she starts to panic.

Bourkes are known for night frights, so I always had a non-fail charge night light behind their cage, and made sure to let the light show on the bottom of the cage, after I covered it for sleep.

My two had them the first few months, every once in a while. And they dissipated over time, to just rarely now. But you cant predict it. A tiny fly might go past them at night and that would be enough to set them off. Thank god neither hurt themselves, ever, but they are frightening to wake up to, because it seems like they are going to break their necks.

I agree with everyone that a cockatiel looks like a great bird.I never adopted one, but they have really cute personalities. They have a powdery feather coat, though, that if youre prone to allergies, might bother you.

I don't have allergies or asthma, but regardless I'd probably get an air purifier. Cockatiels are looking like the top choice, I know of at least one breeder so I may set up a day to meet her and her flock. I've actually never personally met a cockatiel, and she also breeds a couple other species which would be interesting to meet in person.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I think you’ll enjoy meeting cockatiels! I do have an air purifier next to my cockatiel’s cage, as she’s my only dusty bird and it keeps the dust down (she definitely makes some dust lol). They really are very sweet birds :). Look forward to hearing how it goes with any of the birds you get to meet!

OP
M

Mephynx

Nov 19, 2019
Canada
I think you’ll enjoy meeting cockatiels! I do have an air purifier next to my cockatiel’s cage, as she’s my only dusty bird and it keeps the dust down (she definitely makes some dust lol). They really are very sweet birds :). Look forward to hearing how it goes with any of the birds you get to meet!

I was in another city yesterday Christmas shopping and found a pet store that had cockatiels. No intention to buy from them, but it was fun to finally see a cockatiel in person! If you walked away from his cage he'd whistle at you and when you came back he'd just sit there looking at you at the front of the cage.

They also had a couple GORGEOUS diluted violet budgies. The mauve and light brown go together so well :eek: Not tame, but I'd almost be okay with those pretty girls/boys as just aviary birds.

Most Reactions