Orange Tree branches

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Hey, I have been wanting to make a perch for my birds. AAAND....We have an orange grove a few houses up that has some branches that need to be pruned.

I was wondering if it would be safe to use those branches. We want to make a small tree-ish type stand. Possibly a few for different rooms.

I heard somewhere that you can bake them before you make them. To kill off any bacteria I guess.

What is your guys opinion?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Really don't know, but Merlin eats lemon leafs w/no ill effects. He just nibbles. Since they are native to his natural habitat, I felt it should be ok. He has a apple limb perch in his cage & loves to chew up apple twigs.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
From google search, not many mention orange, but the ones that I read says its safe. Google it yourself to see. There's ways you can prepare the branches by baking, debarking etc.

vedwed

Feb 8, 2011
Media
CA
Parrots
Oliver-Red Crowned Amazon, Sky-GCC, Ruthie-Sun Conure
you may want to ask if they have been sprayed with pesticides~

^ This is very important, not to detract from the importance of harmful bacteria, but the pesticide would prove far more harmful to your fids. Make double sure that they are free of pesticides.

OP
Parrot Parent

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
They are community owned and I know for a fact we dont use pesticides :)

Also I went out today and got some that look like they will be good. I plan to soak them in a soap/water solution and let them dry in the sun (its been real hot lately)

I also found a list of safe woods, and orange tree wood was safe it said. I cant wait to start :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts