Other parrots compatible with lovebirds?

kiwimom

Jul 24, 2013
Hello, I have one lovebird (Kiwi) who is about 3-4 months old. I would like to get another parrot to be his buddy but I would like another species. Nothing against lovebirds, just for variety. Are there any other species of parrot that is compatible with lovebirds?
Thanks in advance for your help!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
None really! Lovebirds can be very mean towards other type of birds. The only time I was able to keep a lovebird with another type of bird was a baby tiel but they were raised together as babies since they were both 2 weeks old. But the lovebird was not nice to any other tiels except to his littermate. They were very cute together. Other then that I wouldn't take the risk housing them with other birds. You can have other types of birds if you want but don't expect them to be buddies.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Sometimes it happens that the Lovebird gets along but you can't predict it. Mine is best friend with one of my Pionus. My Lovie is very sweet and willing to befriend others, he seems to be interested in the big birds though, like my Pionus and Grey. The Grey would eat him given the chance though. I was told that being a Black-Cheek Lovebird is the reason he is so sweet and quiet and the smallest of the species. I have no other to compare. Maybe I have an unnaturally sweet Lovie.

He also was a baby when I brought him home to the others. He attached himself to the Pionus right away. That Pionus is unnaturally gentle as well with him. She is just an amazing parrot, even tempered and very patient.

So I would say that if you were going to get a different species, to do it while the Lovie is still very young, and be prepared to keep them separate in case they don't get along.

My advice: DO NOT GET A CAIQUE. (Caiques will go after the Lovebird and can do damage). My GCC and Crimson Conures also go after the Lovebird. You probably would want a mellow bird.....I also keep the Lovebird fully flighted so that he is VERY FAST and can get away quickly!

Last edited:

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Lovebirds are VERY protective of their cage, and will be aggressive to other birds, including other Lovebirds. Mine will bite the feet of any bird that lands on his cage. Also, he loves me to death, but, still bites my hand when I put it into his cage. He gets out of cage time by himself, because he will go after any other bird that he can. "Lovebird" is a bad name for them because they are not very loving to anyone but their flock leader (us) or mate. They were named that because of staying in pairs like they do in the wild. I have many birds, but, none can be housed with my lovie. The others get OOC time together, and go into each others cages. But, not my lovebird. So, my answer would be a definite NO!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Lovebirds are VERY protective of their cage, and will be aggressive to other birds, including other Lovebirds. Mine will bite the feet of any bird that lands on his cage. Also, he loves me to death, but, still bites my hand when I put it into his cage. He gets out of cage time by himself, because he will go after any other bird that he can. "Lovebird" is a bad name for them because they are not very loving to anyone but their flock leader (us) or mate. They were named that because of staying in pairs like they do in the wild. I have many birds, but, none can be housed with my lovie. The others get OOC time together, and go into each others cages. But, not my lovebird. So, my answer would be a definite NO!

WOW! I guess I have a pretty special Lovebird then! Mine is friendly....

JadeB

Jul 24, 2013
AZ
Parrots
Rico, Chiquito, Taco - lovebirds
Kiwi -
Try to take this in the kindest way possible. I would rethink getting another bird right now. You just posted about Kiwi being very sick two weeks ago (is he still on the antibiotics?) Now would not be a good time to introduce a new bird to him if his immune system is down. Also, you happened to mention that you are 5 months pregnant, your fiance lost his job, and money is very tight...so perhaps postpone buying another parrot & all the items that go with it for awhile? You need to take care of you right now - and be saving money for your baby. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I would agree as well, have the baby first and after a couple of months see how you feel afterwards
Having a newborn is no easy task you hardly have time for yourself
Having birds is time consuming a well

OP
K

kiwimom

Jul 24, 2013
Oh I know. I wasn't planning on it soon, just fantasizing about the future I guess and considering possibilities. Things are going to be in a better place soon, financially, as.I just got a very good job with good pay and great benefits, and reliable hours, and start in two weeks. Fiancee is now able to take care of some business he has with the military and is working on getting his veterans benefits reinstated so he can get the GI Bill. You are right though, I do have a lot on my plate right now I guess I was thinking further down the line, at some undetermined point in the future. Fiancee and I would both like to get a bigger bird some time in the future, but it's dreaming at this point. Doesn't sound like kiwi could realistically be expected to get along with a bigger bird :(

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I've always had luck with conures, for some reason they seem to get along very well with lovebirds, at least mine have anyways.

But they are not housed together.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I had two conures at one point, neither one get along with Lovebirds....

OP
K

kiwimom

Jul 24, 2013
Thanks guys. Sounds like its very case-by-case. When we are in a better financial situation and once we have early parenthood under our belts, if we feel we have the time and energy for another pet we might consider a lager parrot but we won't count on it getting along with the lovebird.

mangoandtzippy

Jul 18, 2013
The UK
Parrots
2 Lovebirds - Mango and Tzippy
I can tell with my two that the male would be more likely to be okay with another bird - though I would not house another species with him in the same cage. I highly doubt the female would tolerate another bird now she is sexually mature. When she was a baby, before I got her, she got on okay with a male budgie, but I think now that she is older, she is too rough and aggressive. It seems like - from watching videos of lovebirds in the wild - they are quite rough in their treatment of each other! My two think nothing of biting each other's feet, treading on each other if one gets into the bowl and the other wants to access what's in the bowl, grabbing onto each other's legs and doing karate chop moves... but it's all lovebird behaviour - normal and the rest of the time they are highly in love lol. I just don't see how that lovebird high energy/rough behaviour would translate well to interacting with another species. They don't seem to realise their size either and I can imagine if they were around bigger birds, they might get into trouble because they would not realise that the other bird could wound them.

In the future I would love to have a bigger bird, but I would not house it in the same room that I keep my lovies in as I think one has to be really careful of leg/foot injuries (and even beak injuries) through the cage bars. Perhaps if you do want one at some point you could house it in another room if you have the space. Another thing I realise I would have to take into account is how much out of cage time and attention my lovies would get if I got a bigger bird.

Urgula

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Barankin (2006 - 2013)- peachface lovebird
Tihan - Yellow naped amazon (6+ years)
You must get a bird of the exact same size or one of them will get injured.
if your birds will get along or not depends only of how you raise them

If you have two very young babies and raise them together, everything will be ok.
Otherwise, it can be a war.

My lovebird loves everyone and was raised by me. Here's some scenes from my lovebirds everyday life:

Crazy ringneck that bites my feet: no problem, I hand upside-down of a box and feed her.

Female cat around: no problem, I mate with her.

Female cat gave birth to kittens: Yay! It's my babies! Must feed the mother and the kittens! What? Of course those are my babies, you fool! What? I'm a parrot and she's a cat? Who cares! Intspecies couples are no longuer a shock.

My ower has a new amazon? Yay! a new friend! Must hang out in his cage, eat his food and play with his toys? What? He don't like me? Will fly in circles on the top of his cage so he will get used to me and be my friend. Will stay on the top of his cage as long as he does not move and will interact with him.

Basically, my lovebird will always be happy to see everybody, but the other birds I got are not raised by me, so they will be evil to every other birds.

If you want 2 birds, the second one u get must be a baby. If you get a grown buddy from a different specie, it may end up sad.

Of course, if you get a bird of a different size, the smaller bird MUST be fully winged so s/he can get away if attacked.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Not a good idea! Lovebirds should stay with other lovebirds.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
for sure a case by case basis when it comes to birds.
Either another lovebird, or like I mentioned before a conure.
They both can handle each other, and are feisty, but can also become best friends.
they really are a match for each other.
btw, even another lovebird may not be a match, and you will end up with problems.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i have 2 sibling lovebirds, from the same clutch and everything. they got along perfectly at first but then they grew apart and now dont get along too well. they cannot share a cage, or else munch will kill mango. she's tried to kill him over a bowl of veggies. out of the cage too, she can be really nasty to him if she sees fit. they have to be supervised carefully out of the cage because though they cuddle, preen and feed eachother, the moment mango has something munch wants, munch will attack him for it. lovebirds can be really fickle, but it seems the peach faces are the most aggressive. so its no guarantee any bird will work out with lovebirds. or, you can be surprised and have another bird be best friends. but it's an individual thing. munch tries to kill our other 3 birds, BUT she became instant best friends with my friend's green cheek conure. it's a gamble

i have heard that the black cheeks are the most laid back and friendly, they are one of my dream birds, BUT they are not easy to come by for me.

Irishj9

Nov 20, 2011
Media
Parrots
11 caiques, 24 lovebirds
I have 15 lovebirds sharing an open aviary with 8 caiques ( for the last 2 years)

I watch the social temperature in there, but I wouldnt panic about it.

Cage territoriality needs to be monitored though.

JP

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Of course, if you get a bird of a different size, the smaller bird MUST be fully winged so s/he can get away if attacked.

This is VERY IMPORTANT and true!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

This is VERY IMPORTANT and true!!!

At the same time IF the Lovebird wants to go after it, they will attack them in mid air! That's why my ex roommate hated my little Lovebird that I raised.

Most Reactions

Latest posts