Ouch... just got the bill breakdown for Merlin's leg surgery...

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I got in contact with a vets the other night asking them for an estimate on how much the surgery to correct Merlin's splayed leg would cost.

I would be happy leaving his leg as it is but unfortunately I'm far too anxious about the added damage he's doing to his joints on his leg. I don't want him to be hurting when he could have this fixed with some surgery and a few weeks recovery!

Anyway, I'll give you the details this lady gave me, just so you can all look in horror at the amount of money I'm looking to cough up for this. (I'm unemployed by the way due to health.)

The referral appointment will cost £112.85 (the appointment will be with our Avian Spe******t Neil Forbes). During the appointment we will assess the extent of Merlin's problem and decide upon the best course of treatment - and we will then give you a full and accurate estimate of the costs involved. VERY roughly costs may or may not include;
A referral re-check appointment costs £92.93 but I could not say at this stage how many re-checks would be required
An anaesthetic for a bird costs £85.09 per 15 mins (this is usually discounted for lengthy procedures) but I couldn't guarantee how long surgery would be - it could be half an hour to 2 hours or more
The referral cost for this type of surgery is normally £582.05 (but again I would need Neil to confirm if this is the surgery that would be done) and
Hospitalisation and fluid costs (without drugs - which would certainly be required) would be in the region of £71.86 per day

85.09 x2-8
71.86 xprobably a few days.
+ then more for medication and possibly more checks.

So we're looking about 2k/2.5k GBP. (Not including travel and possibly staying over, which is around £70 for a return train ticket from where we are to the vets. & I would have to make a few of those journeys for dropping him off, picking him up and any pre-surgery checks etc)

Ouch Merlin, ouch.
Neil is one of the few 'official' Avian Vets here in the UK. But I may consider asking another Vet closer to home about it. I know he didn't seem too keen on the idea of the surgery but I may email them and ask anyway.

Oh Merlin, I never realised just how much you would cost me when I got you. I expect a lot of cuddles and lovely whistles to keep me happy whilst I scrimp and save!

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
They forgot to tell you that, most likely, Merlin will need blood tests and X-rays as well. Since this is a big operation, Merlin could lose a lot of blood, so they will most likely want to know what his haemoglobin is, before and after the surgery. They will also most likely want to know his blood electrolytes and liver and kidney function, because he is having an anaesthetic. My opinion is that they will want X-rays before and after the surgery to plan what they need to do before they do it, and afterwards, to know what the new joint's position is and how successful the operation was.

And, if Merlin loses too much blood, they will need to give him IV fluids and/or blood transfusions, and that will cost money as well. Ask the vet what emergency plans they have for blood transfusions, IF Merlin needs them. Bird blood is not something most places keep inside their fridge. Do you know any big sized bird, eg, a moluccan cockatoo or a large macaw, who might be willing to donate some blood beforehand, just in case Merlin loses a lot of blood in the operation?

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
They forgot to tell you that, most likely, Merlin will need blood tests and X-rays as well. Since this is a big operation, Merlin could lose a lot of blood, so they will most likely want to know what his haemoglobin is, before and after the surgery. They will also most likely want to know his blood electrolytes and liver and kidney function, because he is having an anaesthetic. My opinion is that they will want X-rays before and after the surgery to plan what they need to do before they do it, and afterwards, to know what the new joint's position is and how successful the operation was.

And, if Merlin loses too much blood, they will need to give him IV fluids and/or blood transfusions, and that will cost money as well. Ask the vet what emergency plans they have for blood transfusions, IF Merlin needs them. Bird blood is not something most places keep inside their fridge. Do you know any big sized bird, eg, a moluccan cockatoo or a large macaw, who might be willing to donate some blood beforehand, just in case Merlin loses a lot of blood in the operation?

They're avian and exotics spe******t, so my presumption is that they do actually have an appropriate blood bank. They do far too many surgeries for them not to have I think! I'm unsure if the xrays and 'pre op assessment' includes the xrays or blood tests or not.

For now I'm going to leave that email as I'm getting in touch with the vets closer to home to ask them about the possible surgery.

At the moment I've been told that to fix his splayed leg it could vary between £40 (consultation, could reject the idea of surgery after seeing him etc) to AROUND £800, but not limited to, obviously. But I don't know what this price includes.

Since that vet is so much closer to home I'd be happier taking him in there and getting all diagnostic/checks done and given a price then (and would ask for all the possibilities). I wouldn't have to stay overnight and travel is only an hour and a half by public transport, so not major.

I'm also asking them if they do a payment plan. So if the cost is around £1k, then maybe I can pay 200 per month until it's payed off, etc. :) Fingers crossed for that option, I'd much rather that!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I applaud you for considering this surgery & expense. But, if I may ask, are you sure this needs to be done? I know he has a splayed leg, but, are they sure this can be fixed, and is it necessary to put you both through this? Birds DO NOT react well to anesthesia and/or surgery. Sadly, I have seen many healthy birds die on the table. I do not say this to scare you, but, I cannot stand by and not ask. Please be sure that this is really worth the trauma he will have to go through. Will he gain full use of that leg? As long as the prognosis is favorable, go for it, and bless you for doing so.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I applaud you for considering this surgery & expense. But, if I may ask, are you sure this needs to be done? I know he has a splayed leg, but, are they sure this can be fixed, and is it necessary to put you both through this? Birds DO NOT react well to anesthesia and/or surgery. Sadly, I have seen many healthy birds die on the table. I do not say this to scare you, but, I cannot stand by and not ask. Please be sure that this is really worth the trauma he will have to go through. Will he gain full use of that leg? As long as the prognosis is favorable, go for it, and bless you for doing so.

Merlin has been under anesthetic before so I'm less anxious about that and he'll be in VERY capable hands, which reduces the anxiety slightly more. I know it is a risk and I know I would probably hate myself if something were to happen.

I'm doing this for the long term benefits, the reason we want his leg fixed is because of all the unnecessary strain he's putting on his joints from how his leg is twisted, it's very likely he's going to go through an awful lot of pain in the next few years as his joints wear and tear from being used improperly. So surgery is what we feel is the best option for the long term health and happiness for Merlin.

He does get around fine for now, and if we could put it off until it is a problem, we most probably would, but by that point it would be too late for his joints so we would rather save them now than have to have him medicated for arthritis or just general pain/immobility from a bad leg. :( and I know I'd hate myself so much more putting him through that than losing him on the table, my baby means the world to me and if he dies on the table, asleep and unaware then so be it. But I'm highly doubting that it would come to that, I'm very confident in the surgeon who would be operating on him. :)

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Wow, I'm not sure what the exchange rate is to know exactly how much that is american, but wow, that's a hefty bill, and in my experience, it usually ends up costing more than what they first think as well.

After reading Bill's post, I was wondering, have they considered amputation at all? I've seen other birds get along just fine with only one leg(as long as they can fly usually), that would avoid a lot of surgery and down time and also solve the joint problem, unless it would cause too much stress on the remaining leg.

I'm no vet so I could be way off, but I know with a lot of animals, it's less stressful and painful to just remove a limb that is badly damaged, or deformed in merlin's case, than it is to fix it.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Good question, Icy. I had a cockatoo that had one leg, and was fine with that. She did just about anything a two legged bird would. That's why I asked about gaining full use of the leg.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Would rather not have his leg amputated as he does use it, hanging from cages by his bad toes etc. So unless it got to the point where he couldn't have any help for his leg and it was causing his significant pain, then I wouldn't consider amputation.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I have a incurance for Ville. That is quite normal in Sweden, not usual in UK?

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
"£3000" = "$4758.6"

Apparently.

My boys expensive. >: )

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots

Försäkring skulle inte skydda has ben som hände innan försäkringen börjar.
(förlåta mig, svenska ice dålig! :p)

Insurance would not cover his splayed leg as it happened before insurance was started.

&your right Bill, but hey, who wouldn't do this for a child that they have? Well mine just have feathers and fur. ;) No more treats for me for the next few months, going to be putting all my spare money away (and I say spare very loosely!) for this, it'll be worth it and it'll be nice to see him running around on two legs (aka. being able to cause more mischief than before!)

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Yikes! That is expensive! I know how you feel though, I don't care how far in debt it puts me, if there's something to be done to improve their lives than no amount of money is too much. My mom's dog had a bit of an accident and ended up needing about $12,000 in veterinary care. She just passed away last year and lived to be 15(not bad for a husky), I think she just finished paying off the vet bill about a year before she passed away but she still says it was worth it. She had planned on buying her first Harley but never got it since she had to pay for the surgeries and such, I have the utmost respect for her and any one that will make such sacrifices for the well being of their feathered and furred family :)

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Yikes! That is expensive! I know how you feel though, I don't care how far in debt it puts me, if there's something to be done to improve their lives than no amount of money is too much. My mom's dog had a bit of an accident and ended up needing about $12,000 in veterinary care. She just passed away last year and lived to be 15(not bad for a husky), I think she just finished paying off the vet bill about a year before she passed away but she still says it was worth it. She had planned on buying her first Harley but never got it since she had to pay for the surgeries and such, I have the utmost respect for her and any one that will make such sacrifices for the well being of their feathered and furred family :)

Much respect to your mom (+you too!)

I take on any animal knowing full well they might have a full body breakdown and cost me a fortune, although I may not be fully prepared for it, I'm prepared to make any sacrifices to help them, it's my duty as their guardian to do so.

My parents are joking about how they want to set up a fund for Merlin to try and raise money for this haha. It's not that bad considering it's not emergency surgery, would just rather have it done much sooner rather than later.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I had a dog that I know I spent more than that one, but over time, rather than all at once. If you can do it, and want to do it, bless you, and I hope everything goes well for you and Merlin.

OP
Mayden

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
I had a dog that I know I spent more than that one, but over time, rather than all at once. If you can do it, and want to do it, bless you, and I hope everything goes well for you and Merlin.

I've had merlin for 9 months now and he's already cost me around £500 in vet fees alone. I'm just expecting him to be a very expensive birdy, but I knew that when I first saw him and his leg, despite the decreased price I'd end up paying for more than an average baby senegal price. haha.

I'm excited for this surgery, just wish I could get the money asap. :(

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
I would go hungry to feed my birds. I would do, and have done, whatever is necessary for my babies. Even birds that I had no intention to keep cost me a fortune. But when they look up into your face with those beautiful button eyes...

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)

I don't know about other countries, but in the US most of us can't afford health insurance for ourselves, let alone our pets!

Mayden - You are such a good parront! Since it's not urgent, that at least gives you a lot of time to save for it. Also, don't be afraid to talk to the vet about your financial situation. They might knock some of the price down for you, especially if your economy is anything like ours.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Reading back on your posts, it seems that physio worked really well for Merlin... Wasn't that kept up?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I have gone hungry, at the end of my marriage and during the divorce while I tried to get bills caught up. But, my animals never did, so I understand.

Yes, my health insurance is quite expensive, and not very good for that matter. I bet getting insurance for my animals at this point would be very expensive. None of them are young, and several have health problem that would probably be considered pre-existing conditions, like Merlin's Borna and my cat's IBD. The right time to get an insurance policy is probably when the animal is still a baby, and before it has any known health problems. They probably would have told Mayden the same thing about Merlin's leg; that it is pre-existing and not covered.

Keep us up to date on what you decide.

Yes, my dog had surgery I think 8 times. And needed expensive prescriptions and prescription food. But, he was so sick with those bladder stones that Ohio State was even using him as a study animal because he wasn't expected to survive to even 4 years old, but lived to age 13. He actually died from cancer, not the stones. My vet thinks he kept pulling through just because he loved me (ok I'm going to cry now), but his treatment plan may have saved other dogs as well since he did survive it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts