Advice on trimming nails, please.

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
Tori bird usually has nice filed down nails from the perches that I give him, but the pet store I shop at hasn't had them in stock for quite a while, and he wore his out, so his nails are getting pretty long. It's starting to scratch when he steps up, or climbs on shoulders and I know I need to give him a trim.

I have never trimmed any animal's nails before aside from a dog that knew and trusted me very well. (She sat completely still and let me work on her. something tells me Tori won't do that for me) I would appreciate any advice you all could give me. Tori is a green cheek conure, so his nails are dark and I can't see his little veins. >.<

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
Don't try it yourself. Find a vet or even a bird store that offers trimming and they can show you the correct way to do it while trimming them. I could tell you how, but you have to learn hands on with this aorta thing and its better to learn from a professional.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It's a simple task but if your not doing it properly, you can hurt the toe and make him bleed pretty good. But of course the common household products like flour and corn starch will stop the bleeding. Best to seek a professional to do it, even then mishaps can still happen. Just be aware anyone can cut and make them bleed, don't expect perfection, only when they're doing a super bad job then that's when you need to be concerned. I've done it for years but I can not do Willie, Java, or Dixie's toe nails as no one is willing to hold them for me so I take them to the vet to have them done. The prices ranges from vet to vet, some are as much as $150 per bird which I think it's outrages. Some are as low as $25 which is more suitable.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'd go have a bird store do it for you. My local bird store charged me $5 for Puck's nails. Puck is bitey and grabs everything he can with his beak and feet, AND he would probably be mad at me for it, so I prefer that somebody else do it. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'd go have a bird store do it for you. My local bird store charged me $5 for Puck's nails. Puck is bitey and grabs everything he can with his beak and feet, AND he would probably be mad at me for it, so I prefer that somebody else do it. :)

Your shop is cheap!!!! Will they do macaw's for $5 too??? :D

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
First, get a cement perch. They really don't wear out. Rowdy has had the same one for 11 years.

I would also have it done professionally, although at least with a conure you can hold it in one hand which gives you the other one for trimming. Last night I flushed Merlin's sinuses and let me tell you, big birds have super strong heads and necks. I had a neighbor on stand by in case I needed a third hand. And a third hand doesn't hurt for trimming either as one can hold the foot while one holds the clipper.

Now might be a good time as well for your bird to get used to an emery board. Introduce it slowly and eventually you can probably file the tips of the nails yourself, with the bird being cooperative.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Some birds will let you, some will not. It's best to have someone hold the bird, and someone cut the nails. I've had some ball up their feet into a vise grip that couldn't be opened, seemingly without breaking a toe!:D Roxy's idea of a cement perch is what I use most. It just takes the pointy tip down. Put it as the highest perch, and they'll use everyday to sleep on, using a tight grip, and filing down their nails in the process.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, I found out this morning that Merlin is afraid of my right hand now after the sinus flush last night. Apparently the rest of me is ok, just not that hand. I did finally get her to at least perch on it, but she doesn't want it to pet her.

OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
Unfortunately there aren't any bird stores around where I live. I did ask the specialty mom and pop pet shop that's in the next town over, but they only groom dogs. I got Tori from pretty far out of town, and even that was just a general pet store that just happens to have birds. There are no avian vets in my area, and I did ask my vet about it last time I went and she kind of avoided the question. so I'm not sure if she just doesn't do it, doesn't like it, or if its really expensive there.

I did get him a cement perch like some of you have suggested, and I put it where he usually sleeps, so hopefully he sits on it a lot. (Right now he's scared of it.)

Last edited:
OP
Kokihi

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
Well, just an update. We did end up having to clip Tori's nails at home. Luckily, my boyfriend has made firm friends with Tori and was able to help me out with it. I held Tori while my boyfriend (who is known for his insane ability to concentrate and sharp reflexes) clipped the nails. He only took off the sharp tip so Tori can sit on us without scratching us or getting stuck on our clothes. He seems much happier now. :)

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
I would just file them. Take a nail file made for fake nails(very hard)and use that. It only takes a few passes with it and no more points!

Most Reactions

Latest posts