Our new GCC

gleek!

Aug 18, 2010
Detroit, MI
Parrots
I am a grandma to a GCC
Hi all!

I am sort of a "young" Grandma to my 13yr old daughters GCC. He/she doesn't have a name yet (we have had him for a month, lol). My daughter wants to wait until we have him sexed, so for now we call him "Birdy" or "Jibber".

Everything has been going well -- he is very friendly, and loves to be held/cuddled.

My only concern is that he LOVES to play in my hair, and I don't know if this is a good, or a bad thing. We bought about 3 different conure books, and the Parrots for Dummies book, but so far I haven't read if this is bad thing our not. He just loves to hang out in there, and kind of "nest" in it. I don't really use any product so I don't worry abt him ingesting/inhaling it.

I have read on here, that some ppl shun allowing them on your shoulder/above. Is this because like with dogs they will feel like they are dominating you??

Thanks for any advice, and great site!!

OP
gleek!

gleek!

Aug 18, 2010
Detroit, MI
Parrots
I am a grandma to a GCC
Oh, and here are some pics of the cutie!

Attachments

• 131 (1283 x 855).jpg
    131 (1283 x 855).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 258 (1283 x 855).jpg
    258 (1283 x 855).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 148 (1283 x 855).jpg
    148 (1283 x 855).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 152 (1283 x 855).jpg
    152 (1283 x 855).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 213

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi and welcome to the forum, congratulations on your new grand-fid(fid=feathered kid) as far as the little guy preening your hair, its not harmful unless you use hairspray, then I would say avoid letting him do it, hope that helps, enjoy your stay :)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Birds love hair, sometimes preening it and sometimes just hanging out. I allow some birds on my shouder...it depends on the bird. If I feel I can trust the bird, and if the bird cannot do damage to the face, I allow it. Levi, my Linnie, is allowed on my shoulder...Fred, my Amazon, is not...

OP
gleek!

gleek!

Aug 18, 2010
Detroit, MI
Parrots
I am a grandma to a GCC
Thanks!! I don't use any hairspray or other product, and he has so much fun playing in it so I will continue to let him. LOL!

I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to let a bigger one (or tempermental one) on your shoulder. That could be very painful! I did have him try to use my glasses as a perch and his little nail kind of scratched my cheek (thankfully not my eye), so I guess I just have to pay attention. :09:

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Agree with others. I have two conures, a GCC and a CBC and the Crimson loves it when I have my hair down and will yank at my hairclip in frustration if my hair is twisted up. I think she likes how it feels as well as the sort of protected perch where I can survey my turf (in a good way) thing. Plusses include the bird would be highly unlikely to poop there as it sort of a nesting space. Minus is that the bird can get a little possessive about it...not wanting you or anyone else to move her until she is good and ready to go. So be alert to any signs she is getting the wrong idea about the space against your warm neck such as failure to step up readily or nippy behavior with someone attempting to remove her. And welcome to the forum! Conures are great birds!

Most Reactions