Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
See I worry about Hawks. We live in an are being developed but I see Hawks sitting on the power lines above our house or down the street. I know there are definitely at least two around. Today when I took Venus out front I was looking up. The human population has held into their areas so it's common to see them on power lines, street lights, fences, trees all around shopping centers and neighborhoods. We even have a colony of buzzards next to one of our parks, that's eerie seeing them flying in a massive swarm but neat seeing them roost.

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
Hawks do concern me. Here is a photo I took after I almost hit this hawk with my car. He was in the middle of a dive bomb, and swooped up with just enough time to avoid a collision with the windshield!

Then he just stood there and stared at me. Guess he was miffed about the car messing up his hunt.

These birds are very fast and stealthy. It is amazing.

The video with the cockatoo made me cringe..... :(. They were lucky!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 200

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
That hawk is larger than I imagined seeing them on the power lines. Buddy and Venus would look like candy with their red heads, green and purple bodies, lol.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Hawks are a concern here too -we have a pair of red tails who live on our property somewhere, and they've tried to make off with our chickens [emoji33] lucky the chickens are in chain link pens for that very reason!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
All of this reinforces my reluctance to allow parrots outside as my locale is rife with raptors. While I concede outings are a great enrichment activity, it is not a chance I will take. Ever!

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
I live in a rural part of north Florida. We have tons of hawks but the owls are what we have to watch for. An owl as gone after one of my dogs twice. At that time I had my large bulldog Toby and Toby almost got him the second time. Havent seen him since but I never leave them unattended outside. I just ordered my aviator harness for my tiel. I think it will be in I guess next week. I am now worried about taking her around the circle and I may just take her in the city. Hmm something to think about.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I live in a rural part of north Florida. We have tons of hawks but the owls are what we have to watch for. An owl as gone after one of my dogs twice. At that time I had my large bulldog Toby and Toby almost got him the second time. Havent seen him since but I never leave them unattended outside. I just ordered my aviator harness for my tiel. I think it will be in I guess next week. I am now worried about taking her around the circle and I may just take her in the city. Hmm something to think about.

Don't tell me an owl was after a bulldog :eek:?! Was it a smaller dog than Toby? Even though some owl species are large, I'm not sure HOW big of an animal they'll go for?

As for hawks, you'll even find them in the city. They're everywhere. Probably in every state in the US, and every environment!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Don't tell me an owl was after a bulldog :eek:?!!

Could you imagine an owl or hawk going after Canelo? That bird would be able to get any lift, lol.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I've lost 3 full grown tom turkeys this year to Great Horned Owls. Those turkeys weigh about 25 lbs apiece. The owls carry them off into the woods and eat them.

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
Ya the owl went after a smaller dog but Pepper was right next to Toby so it was odd that it had the courage to try that. We have hawks that perch in my back yard at eyelevel. We have lots of oak snakes and black racers. We also have field mice so it isnt that odd I guess.

Most Reactions