Outside time?

Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
With the weather warming up here in New England I have been wondering when is a good time to introduce the budgies (and Precious the cockatiel) to some time in the fresh air and natural sunshine? We keep the house at 68. To start what would be a good temperature and how long as a starting point? The goal is really just to get them outside in the fresh air and sunshine. They would never be out of the cages or unsupervised. I will not be putting them in an outdoor aviary set up, I just want them to enjoy the benefits of fresh air and sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Last weekend (or was it the weekend before?) when it had gotten nearly to 70, I took Sunny out in her carry-pak. I went to Newburyport so always risk of colder ocean breeze. What I did was I dressed myself lighlty. That is, medium-weight pants & top but No Jacket. I figured I would get chilly as quickly as she would. It worked quite well, a slight breeze reminded me to stay within a short walk of my car.

If you're taking them outside in a regular cage (Sunny's carrier mitigates breezes somewhat), you will want to be more sensitive to temperature. Maybe a lightweight top, and either lightweight pants or maybe even shorts. Stay right with them, and as long as you are comfortable temperature, they probably are too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts