Paco's story (long, only read if you have time)

wolfsnaps

Jul 19, 2010
Hi. I am new to this forum. In my introduction, I talked about how I got scammed by buying an African Grey named Paco whom I believed had Beak and Feather Disease. This is Paco's story.

After the sudden death of my Poicephalus brown headed parrot, I really pined for another bird. The brown headed, named Tembi, was my first bird...unless you count the parakeet I had as a child (my mother ended up giving them away a year after we got them, so I didnt have them long) but I have always wanted an African Grey. Now, I had the time and space for one. I decided to get one. I put money away here and there to purchase one. I don't have a lot of money but I take good care of my animals.

I wanted to rescue, but I knew that I would not pass thier approval system, so I would fork up the 1200 or so to buy a baby. Then one day, I happened upon an ad on Craigslist for a grey that needed rehomed. We talked for a couple weeks and I decided to go get her. It was two hours away. When I got there, the place a mess. The woman had at least 2 dozen cats outside, dogs left and right, and run outs for MORE dogs. I only saw two rooms in the house and that was enough.

The woman was a talker. When I finally got to see Paco, she was in a very dimmly lit room. Her cages (she had two) had not been moved or cleaned in a long time (when I cleaned the cage,under layers of filth, I found candy canes in there...but it was JULY)

Paco was high up on her perch, looking down on me. She was bald to the skin on her chest, one side and legs. Her beak was overgrown on one side. I couldn't leave her there. I negotiated the woman down a little in price and took her. I was told she would come with a travel cage and carrier (or I would have bought those myself) Her travel cage was covered in black dust and debris, and the carrier was all rust and dirty. After the excitement died down, I realised I may have been scammed out of a lot of money. I looked up diseases and Paco fit the bill (no pun intended).

I was angry. I felt cheated. I made an appointment for the vet the next morning. Then, the crazy thoughts began. I would drive back to the womans house and demand my money back. I would resell her. Then I thought no way, then I would be like that woman. After a few days of going back and forth, I decided to do what was best for Paco...a vet visit.

I called my closest avian certified vet (there really arent enough of those) and they couldnt take him for a week and a half. Then the back and forth paranoia began. I thought things like "That sick bird is spreading the virus all over my house" "I just want to get this overwith if she needs put down" and other things. I wrote the woman and called and texted and...nothing. I KNEW it was a scam. I just KNEW it. Paco was withdrawn, scared, and wanted nothing to do with me. No matter what I tried, she just didn't trust me. She is a bird, of course. Even though I know enough about birds and how they react to change, I couldn't believe she didnt like me. ALL ANIMALS LOVE ME...I was rushing her and ignoring the fact that I KNEW that.

Back and forth the thoughts went. I decided I would keep her even if she tested positive..and give her a good life. Then I thought, if the vet thinks its best, I would put her down. I started trying to distance myself from her so as not to get attached. But it didn't work. Even though she hated me, I loved her. Then I was angry again, because I just KNEW she was going to be positive and either way, she would not be with me for long. Sigh. It was a stressful time.

The day of the vet visit came, and I practically held my breath while the vet was doing the physical exam. He believed she was indeed female. Her papillae (sp?) in her beak looked excellent. Her feathers, while sparse in areas, were healthy...no stress bands. and finally, the verdict. She was...just a plucker. Nothing to worry about. No disease to spread at work (I work in a pet store with birds), no death row pet. I drove myself crazy on a hunch. That was completely wrong.

So Yeah, great. Healthy bird. A healthy, scared, withdrawn bird. I went to work reading about behaviors and bird selection. Apprarently, the worst option, according to "Birds for dummies" the adult bird is the most diffcult to win over. I felt defeated again. Paco had no interest in me. She moved away whenever I came near. I had a great healthy bird who was scared of me and hated me. Now what? Well, I just kept talking to her. I gave her treats and toys and foraging materials and came to the conclusion that I was now a slave to an animal that didnt like me. I would forever clean and feed this bird who will outlive me.

I decided to take her outside in her travel cage (after much disinfecting and scrubbing). She loved the sunlight. It put her in a good mood. So good that she presented her neck for me to scratch. I could NOT believe it. I hestitantly used one finger to pet her. She was loving it. She was finally starting to open up to me.

Now, she has a limited vocabulary for a six year old bird (if that is how old she is). The day after the first head scratch, I was laying on my couch reading a book (a bird book) when I caught Paco out the corner of my eye, waving her foot at me. I looked over and as she waved, she said "Hellooo?" I waved back and mimcked her. She then said "Come here...*kiss kiss* come here" I went over and sure enough she wanted a pet. She ASKED me to pet her. Ha! Then she started gurging. My last bird did this too but she would swallow it back up. Not Paco. Food fell left and right. Ick. I was flattered...and disgusted.

So thats where I stand now. I went from thinking I had a scam of a sick, dying bird on my hands who hated me, to a healthy bird who is starting to really like me. That is Paco's story, as I know it. And everyday I get more material to write about her,.

If you are still reading, I should send you a dollar! lol Thanks for reading and I will definetly be reading a lot from this forum.

~Tiffany

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
That was amazing. It's ok to worry. Paco is a very brave birdie. I'm proud of both of you for coming a long way.

We'd love for you to stick around. Plus, we love pictures ;)

And keep your dollar :D Reading your story is priceless.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Tif, I don't cry often, but dang it, you got me :(, I was wondering what happened with your situation, fearing the worse since you kinda just disappeared, can't tell you how glad I am to hear of the possitive outcome :), please don't be a starnger and keep us posted on Paco's progress....

azelea

Aug 6, 2010
Media
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Senegal, Red belly, Bronze wing Pionus
that is the best thing i've heard all week. you are a good person for getting her out of that situation. your time spent will be well worth it. :D

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Tiffany, I just had to go back and look at your first thread on the forum in which you were so hurt and upset thinking that you'd been scammed and frightened that Paco was possibly terminally ill, and then to come full circle in this thread to having a healthy bird that is now positively responding to you is truely fantastic, you could have probably saved your money and bought a young bird in time, but for some reason you bought Paco, I don't know what you payed for her, and it doesn't really matter, I just have this feeling that what you'll both give to each other will turn out being priceless in the end, you can't buy happiness or the satisfaction of knowing that you greatly improved the quality of life for another living being, Kudos go out to you for putting her in a better place, keep the faith ;)

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Hi Tif, what a wonderful story! I bet you are going to see some feather growth from a very happy bird! Offer her some warm caffeine free chamomile tea. It helps some pluckers. Lots of baths and of course sunshine.
I use to have a little brown head that has since passed. They are such wonderful birds.
Greys are my favorite, I have 3! Don't tell my umbrella I said this!

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I am so happy that this worked out well! Paco deserves the life that you are going to give him...you're in for a LOT of fun!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Tiffany, you had me in tears wow, your story sure touched me
be7.gif

All that worrying, not knowing what to do, sure took a lot out of you.
Yet you persevered, went through all the ups and down, and look where you are today.
Paco is so fortunate having you as a guardian, never ever giving up.
You mentioned a few times, how Paco hates you, just shows what patience and perseverance can achieve.
Your bonding process is sure full steam ahead now, Paco is starting to trust you, that sure is a great achievement.
I was full of
bd3.gif
towards the ending

Thanks for sharing, and showing us
"Never Judge a Book by it's Cover"

Please keep us updated
PS... we should pay your for the story

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The world needs more people like you. Loved reading your story and hope someday that woman is reported to animal control so she cannot pass along any more animals. She sounds like a hoarder. She needs professional help.

OP
wolfsnaps

wolfsnaps

Jul 19, 2010
Well, its been a month and she definitly plays by her own rules. I am learning that its all on PACO time nowaday. When I try to pet her, she usually only allows me to rub her beak as she rubs her beak inbetween my fingers. Once or twice she let me pet her actual head...briefly.

Well today I tried to pet her and she was in no mood. SO after a couple attempts, I figured I would just let her be. I put her on her portable perch on my counter and layed on the couch, exhausted from work. She was content there for a while. Then, out of nowhere, something scared her. She flew (glided really) straight to me, landing on the floor next to the couch. Keep in mind, she has only been on the counter or her cage. I put her on the couch (hoping she didnt poop) and let her wander. She stayed close. I called her to me and she eagerly came. After some gregarious beak rubs, she let me pet her head. But this time, it wasn't the quick touch and thats it. Oh NO! She was ENJOYING the heck out of me petting her earholes, her nares, and cheeks. THAT was a first. She seemed really happy.

After that I put her in her cage (its getting late and she gets cranky). I wanted to end on a happy note. Now, for me to explain this to a non-bird person, they would say 'oh ok, great!' Thats why I am thankful for all you bird people who understand how significant this is!

Sorry my posts are so long! I love to write! And I am all happy about todays events!

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
It really is amazing what a difference just a month makes :)

azelea

Aug 6, 2010
Media
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Senegal, Red belly, Bronze wing Pionus
that really is a huge step, congrats ;) so glad to hear progress, and im sure she is much happier with you, which she is already showing.

Most Reactions