Parakeet and Sun Conure on the same diet?

Ballad

May 11, 2015
Parrots
8 yr-old parakeet
Soon to add a baby sun conure!
I have a couple of completely novice questions, so I'm hoping some of you can educate me!

I have a 7 year old parakeet that has been on pellets most of her life. I'm slowly introducing her to fresh foods - she's loving greens and peas, but not much else yet. We're also bringing home a baby sun conure this summer. I'd really like to be able to make a batch of chop for both birds and know that they're both getting what they need nutritionally.

Is it reasonable to assume that both species can and should eat the same mix of foods, just in different quantities?

Are there foods that are ok for the sun conure but not the parakeet, or vice versa?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Both species of 'parrots' can have the same foods, obviously chopped very small for the parakeet. (A budgie)?

Budgies (Budgerigar) as the 'common parakeet' is called, have a natural diet in the wild which consists of young grasses and fresh seeds. If yours will eat sprouted seeds which you can easily make, that would be an ideal nutritious item to add to her diet. Your new Sun might love it too... humans also!

OP
B

Ballad

May 11, 2015
Parrots
8 yr-old parakeet
Soon to add a baby sun conure!
Thanks RavensGryf! Yes - Peep is a budgie. I haven't tried sprouted seeds, but since she loves lettuce and greens so much, I bet she'd go for them.

Most Reactions