birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Can anyone tell me any of the major differences in parroletts and budgies???
Thanks I've been curious:)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Parrotlets are small birds with a HUGE personality/attitude lol

Thats the only way I can describe it really.

I'm not saying that budgies don't have personality, but the best way to think of Parrotlets is that they are a HUGE bird in a small body and as such need just as much time and effort spent with them as a large parrot would. A friend of mine has Parrotlets and they need to be on the go all the time. I'm sure they are even more hyper than Bucc, :eek: :eek: :eek: and he's a CAG :D

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
So how come parolets cost alot more than budgies?
And lets throw lovebirds into the mix.
I've never been around one of these types of birds that was really personable -I was wondering if like a budgie would be happy if it as in a decent sized cage with toys and everything but without constant handling?
Even though it wouldn't be tame would it be happy?
if that makes any since :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Would that mean that the bird would be out of the cage sometimes. If not then would it be happy?????? I don't think it would. But the qestion seems to be more if bird didn't have constant handling, I always try to put myself in the birds position, Would I be happy in a cage, with not much handling, I think I would get really bored rather quickly. But then how do budgies get on when they are in an aviary they don't have many toys or human interaction and they seem to be fine, maybe that could be because we try to make our aviarys more like their natural habitat.

On the other hand Parrotlets and Lovebirds would get very bored very quickly, then we tend to end up with some very LOUD, bored and more than likely feather plucked birds.

IMO birds should not taken in if we are not able to spend as much time as possible with them. WOULD THEY BE HAPPY??? I don't think so.
But thats only my opinion.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thats a very good question though Kelli, hopefully it will make us all think about this question in great detail. Thank you.

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
I was just curious since I've never been around one of these types of birds that seemed to enjoy contact thanks for the responses

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I must say, that when maybe you buy from a breeder that handrears lovebirds/parrotlets, which don't often happen it would make a great pet;) . One of my very good friends got a baby lovebird from a lady who did'nt want to handrear it any longer, and he handreared it himself. It was a blue one and as tame as can be, its like a big parrot in a small, goodlooking package. He/she was soo cute, never bit and had full flight of the house.

But i do think when acquiring a lovebird/parrotlet, it should be handreared, that beak can surely bite very, very hard. I'd say, when acquiring a pet bird vs aviary bird, the pet would definitely require attention from his humans because he is infact now part of the family being handraised by his "mom". Where as aviary birds, yes people do try and make their cages look natural, but the most important thing is that the bird was raised with is own kind and will be associated with them as such.

There are'nt any toys in nature so they keep eachother preoccupied- chasing, grooming, and playing. So throwing in some chewable wood, is more than enough to atleast keep their minds off being in a cage.

But as many people sometimes just want to make money:53: out of the business, they try and throw in as much breeding birds as possible. Which is sad indeed!:(. O and one other thing- Budgies are infact parakeets, where parrotlets are small parrots.

Just my opinion, dont know if it makes any sense!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Makes perfect sense Wilma, Some very good points there.

Most Reactions

Latest posts